4 x 4 - Tips, Trips, Repairs

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok as discussed on the other thread I've started our own forby thread.

One thing I would like to know is when we got towed in to Isa everyone had a forby but I saw a few with something that looked like a drain pipe, but with a tap on attached to their roof racks, is this something you can buy or does it sound like something homemade

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

It sounds like a solar shower. I used them back I'm uk In the summer. You fill the bag with water, stick it I the sun for hours, lodge it above your head on the side of the van and turn the tap and you have hot water shower...

You probably don't mean that. Anyway, where did you go?

We went to the York peninsula for our first little bit of 4wd fun. Managed to get bogged in sand twice! It was only when we got home we realised we hadn't got it in low range. Doh. Other half has just ordered an exhaust jack. Lol.

We still have road tyres as the car is new, and the tyres are great, but it means the van is much too low. We will be changing it bit by bit. :-)

Ok as discussed on the other thread I've started our own forby thread.

One thing I would like to know is when we got towed in to Isa everyone had a forby but I saw a few with something that looked like a drain pipe, but with a tap on attached to their roof racks, is this something you can buy or does it sound like something homemade

Sounds like custom made water carriers. Seen quite a few bullbars that act as extra water tanks.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 6 months later...
Sounds like custom made water carriers. Seen quite a few bullbars that act as extra water tanks.

Cheers, Bobj.

(only just come across this thread)

Yep, they are systems for carrying extra water.

Ive also looked into the bulbar option, but too many other modifications on my list before I get there.

A tip for Victorians that enjoy serious off roading, make sure you have RACV total care package.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/roadside+assistance/car/total+care

I was picked up in the middle of the bush, and car was home within 48 hours (200+ kms away) RACV have saved my butt on a number of occasions, getting me home in the middle of the night when you have one of those "oops" moments.

A quick trip report on a day out on the eastern side of Melbourne at Narbethong and surrounding area.

I hooked up with a number of fellow 4x4 enthusiasts of varying capabilities and various vehicles and headed for the hills.

Great winter day. 15 degrees, a bit windy but dry.

7 cars, and a heap of enthusiasm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375006840.570671.jpg

Eddie took the lead but at the first hurdle took the wrong line and got a little stuck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375006923.386786.jpg

After getting out he took the left hand bog hole and got through. Glen was not quite so lucky (nor were 3 others LOL)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375007040.086980.jpg

Another wrong line saw the maverick in problems, but quickly sorted.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375007089.403809.jpg

The rest of the day was mainly amazing views and reasonably challenging tracks and a few stories to tell around the campfire some time soon

Anybody out there in Vic fancy coming out to play at the end of August? ??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375006840.570671.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375006923.386786.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375007040.086980.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375007089.403809.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
A quick trip report on a day out on the eastern side of Melbourne at Narbethong and surrounding area.

I hooked up with a number of fellow 4x4 enthusiasts of varying capabilities and various vehicles and headed for the hills.

Great winter day. 15 degrees, a bit windy but dry.

7 cars, and a heap of enthusiasm.

[ATTACH]20294[/ATTACH]

Eddie took the lead but at the first hurdle took the wrong line and got a little stuck.

[ATTACH]20295[/ATTACH]

After getting out he took the left hand bog hole and got through. Glen was not quite so lucky (nor were 3 others LOL)

[ATTACH]20296[/ATTACH]

Another wrong line saw the maverick in problems, but quickly sorted.

[ATTACH]20297[/ATTACH]

The rest of the day was mainly amazing views and reasonably challenging tracks and a few stories to tell around the campfire some time soon

Anybody out there in Vic fancy coming out to play at the end of August? 

Saw these photos on FB Paul I'm just glad we don't have the mud up here lol

Guest The Pom Queen
A tip for Victorians that enjoy serious off roading, make sure you have RACV total care package.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/roadside+assistance/car/total+care

I was picked up in the middle of the bush, and car was home within 48 hours (200+ kms away) RACV have saved my butt on a number of occasions, getting me home in the middle of the night when you have one of those "oops" moments.

Totally agree we were stranded this time last year they paid for accommodation and car hire

Saw these photos on FB Paul I'm just glad we don't have the mud up here lol

that's not muddy!!! ;)

this is muddy

untitled.jpg

I actually couldn't believe how little mud and water was out there today. we have had a very mild and IMO dry winter so far, and you could see it out there today on the tracks.

have you had any more opportunities to get out on the tracks recently?

untitled.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

going out Saturday 24th august with a group of 8-10 cars heading up to the alpine ranges to try and find a bit of snow to play in.

1-2 spots max spare if anybody is interested.

Medium/hard tracks expected.

winch & 33" mud tyres minimum.

nuta5eny.jpg

this is a rough idea of where we are heading.

meet up in langwarry Caltex servo 8.30am Saturday morning. home early evening.

anybody?

PM me for more details.

Paul.

nuta5eny.jpg

Edited by furkew

Guest The Pom Queen
going out Saturday 24th august with a group of 8-10 cars heading up to the alpine ranges to try and find a bit of snow to play in.

1-2 spots max spare if anybody is interested.

Medium/hard tracks expected.

winch & 33" mud tyres minimum.

this is a rough idea of where we are heading.

meet up in langwarry Caltex servo 8.30am Saturday morning. home early evening.

anybody?

PM me for more details.

Paul.

If I was still down there would have loved to Paul.

Our next trip is heading to WA in September, really looking forward to it.

Our last trip was to Groganville and Maytown.

Guest The Pom Queen
im very jealous of you both.

its bloody freezing here, rain, hail and almost snowed today. have fun and don't forget if you don't post pictures, it never happened. :)

Lol don't worry there will be plenty of pictures. Although I'm sat here wondering if I will need thermals for nights.

Guest The Pom Queen
do you need an excuse to buy gadgets then?

No its usually me who encourages him. I'm working for an 100 inch TV like we had in the home theatre room in Melbourne but he isn't letting me :no: