Any advice about getting super back? Lived in Oz for 5 yrs perm residency.

goinghomesoon

Hi there

I lived in Oz for 5 years but been back in UK for 2 and half years now. Just wondering if anyone knows any way of getting super back? I was a Perm Resident for 3 years but on 457 Visa for about 2 years before that. I think I know the answer already but just clutching at straws really! I wouldn't mind even losing half of the money because at this rate with fees etc my super wont be worth anything by the time I reach retirement age.

I've briefly looked at the route of Financial Hardship as we are overdrawn at the moment but I realise this isn't enough. Has anyone tried going down this route?

Could anyone offer any advise or recommend a company I could phone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much! :biggrin:

My friends who recently went back to the UK did some research about this and concluded that there wasn't a feasible way for them to get it back before retirement age.

I can see that it's very tempting to try and get it back especially if you're struggling at the moment. But I think it's probably better to leave it to mature. There are worse things than having several pension funds in different countries.

Its probably the same as the UK and you have to leave it till retirement age. I used to work for the local council finished up in 1988, we had compulsory superannuation at that time and I had to leave it till I retire,so I only paid in 6 years but need to wait about 40 years before I get it back! will probably be worth about 20gpb a month!

Its probably the same as the UK and you have to leave it till retirement age. I used to work for the local council finished up in 1988, we had compulsory superannuation at that time and I had to leave it till I retire,so I only paid in 6 years but need to wait about 40 years before I get it back! will probably be worth about 20gpb a month!

The difference is with a UK pension there is usually the option to transfer the pension to another pension fund either in the UK or overseas. With the Australian super funds this is not an option. My OH is Australian and lived in the UK for 13 years before we moved to Adelaide and looked in to the possibility of moving his pension. It was a big no. There is a way to get your funds but you have to give up the right to live in Australia. I don't know anything about how you would do this though.

Hi there

I lived in Oz for 5 years but been back in UK for 2 and half years now. Just wondering if anyone knows any way of getting super back? I was a Perm Resident for 3 years but on 457 Visa for about 2 years before that. I think I know the answer already but just clutching at straws really! I wouldn't mind even losing half of the money because at this rate with fees etc my super wont be worth anything by the time I reach retirement age.

I've briefly looked at the route of Financial Hardship as we are overdrawn at the moment but I realise this isn't enough. Has anyone tried going down this route?

Could anyone offer any advise or recommend a company I could phone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much! :biggrin:

I had paid super here in OZ for many years and when I returned to the UK 5 years ago I enquired to the super fund about what I should do. They said that I could have the funds released if I was leaving Australia permanently. I left it as was though because at the time I was unsure what I would eventually do, luckily I didnt relinquish my citizenship and claim my super as I am now back in OZ. You can however do it as long as you are sure you never want to return.

I spent 2 years in Oz on a 457 and have just returned to the UK. I'm going through the Super reclaim process right now - doing it online. Its a bit timeconsuming but google ATO and DASP to see how to start. You need evidence of your visa being cancelled. I did this through Form 1194 ( www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1194.pdf)

It works for me because my 457 is considered a temporary visa - don't know if it works on PR - give it a go and see what happens.

Your super will be 'transferred' to the custody of the ATO, who will help themselves to 35% before handing it over. Don't know if you can get a 3rd party to do it for you - they will take their share as well, leaving you with even less.

After cancelling your visa - its totally dead for future use, but you're not barred from Oz, you can still go back for a holiday - just need to get an appropriate visa for your trip

Edited by TerryDXB

thanks for that one Terry way I feel right now is when we leave which we will we dont ever want to come back ...............................

You and me both....

Had a great time in Oz, but wouldn't go back out of choice. Now I'm back in the UK and absolutely loving it - appreciate it so much more.

And with with return airfares to Oz currently around GBP800/900 mark, I'd rather much spend the money going somewhere else.

Officially you can't, unofficially i've been told that cancel your visa so you can't return to oz and you can claim it back after tax taken off. I know a lady whos friend got told to do this, her deadline was december this year so i intend to ask whether she did get it back.

Please will you let me know if you find out? Was she a perm resident? Thank you

If you can prove you are leaving Australia never to return you should get it back less tax. But if you cannot prove that the super will still be held in trust for you when you reach the preservation age so it is still your money and hopefully earning money

My PR visa has expired now but still don't think that's enough - thank you for your reply though

The difference is with a UK pension there is usually the option to transfer the pension to another pension fund either in the UK or overseas. With the Australian super funds this is not an option. My OH is Australian and lived in the UK for 13 years before we moved to Adelaide and looked in to the possibility of moving his pension. It was a big no. There is a way to get your funds but you have to give up the right to live in Australia. I don't know anything about how you would do this though.

Thank you for your reply. I'd be more than happy to give up the right to live in Australia! My PR visa has expired anyway :)

I had paid super here in OZ for many years and when I returned to the UK 5 years ago I enquired to the super fund about what I should do. They said that I could have the funds released if I was leaving Australia permanently. I left it as was though because at the time I was unsure what I would eventually do, luckily I didnt relinquish my citizenship and claim my super as I am now back in OZ. You can however do it as long as you are sure you never want to return.

Have you any idea how I go about this? I will never want to return to Australia and would happily give up any right to return. Thanks for your help.

Will do, i assume you're still in Oz? I think you need to be in uk otherwise ou still have right to pr

Sorry i should have reread your op, have you rang your super company? There the ones that matter, say you have left oz and intend never to return and can't because your visa has expired! Say you know that if you intend not to return you can get super back. Be insistent as i don't think its a commonly known thing!

One other thing if they say you could get another visa say then you'd be no different to any other new migrant with no super balance.

Sorry i should have reread your op, have you rang your super company? There the ones that matter, say you have left oz and intend never to return and can't because your visa has expired! Say you know that if you intend not to return you can get super back. Be insistent as i don't think its a commonly known thing!

One other thing if they say you could get another visa say then you'd be no different to any other new migrant with no super balance.

It doesn't matter how insistent you are, Super refund has to be done through the ATO

The process starts with the ATO on their DASP site - once you're into filling in the form, it automatically checks your eligibility for a super refund (goes away and checks your visa type and details) - if you are eligible and your visa has not yet been cancelled - the process stops (but the form is saved and you can go back later to complete it) and you are directed to Form 1194 - this is where you cancel your visa - fill this in and send to the immigration e-mail shown and they contact the ATO to let them know that your visa is cancelled.

The ATO then e-mail you to let you know that you can continue to fill in the DASP form - when complete the ATO acknowledge receipt and them go off to reclaim your super from the Fund manager.

I spoke with the Fund manager and, in the case of visa cancellation, they are not allowed to release the money to anyone but the ATO - the eventual refund will come from the ATO in the form of a cheque, for your super fund value less 35% tax.

I suggest you just go on to the ATO site and start fillling in the DASP form - no harm in finding out. But you will need lots of details such as visa numbers, Super Fund name and ABN, so whilst the form only tales a few minutes to fill in, it can take a while to research all the info you need.

It doesn't matter how insistent you are, Super refund has to be done through the ATO

The process starts with the ATO on their DASP site - once you're into filling in the form, it automatically checks your eligibility for a super refund (goes away and checks your visa type and details) - if you are eligible and your visa has not yet been cancelled - the process stops (but the form is saved and you can go back later to complete it) and you are directed to Form 1194 - this is where you cancel your visa - fill this in and send to the immigration e-mail shown and they contact the ATO to let them know that your visa is cancelled.

The ATO then e-mail you to let you know that you can continue to fill in the DASP form - when complete the ATO acknowledge receipt and them go off to reclaim your super from the Fund manager.

I spoke with the Fund manager and, in the case of visa cancellation, they are not allowed to release the money to anyone but the ATO - the eventual refund will come from the ATO in the form of a cheque, for your super fund value less 35% tax.

I suggest you just go on to the ATO site and start fillling in the DASP form - no harm in finding out. But you will need lots of details such as visa numbers, Super Fund name and ABN, so whilst the form only tales a few minutes to fill in, it can take a while to research all the info you need.

Thank you so much I'm going to go on ATO website straight away! I'll let you know how I go on.