UK tax self-assessment, using TaxCalc, somewhat confused!

paisleylass

Hello! I thought I'd better get started with the UK tax return, it's been a real headache so far! I know others will have been in a similar situation so I was wondering whether anyone could help with a few questions as the help pages in taxcalc are clear as mud - they refer to box numbers that don't show! :goofy:

May be worth pointing out me and my husband came here in November 2011 on a 457 and don't intend to return until at least 2015 :o) We are renting our UK house out.

Am I claiming "Personal allowances under a double taxation agreement or other basis as a non-resident"? I don't understand the notes, they just seem to bang on about being a national of zillions of other countries, NOT the UK??

I have completed the section "Claim as a non-resident for relief from UK tax under the terms of a Double Taxation Agreement" - I need a certificate of residence, would this be my Tax File Number Advice? visa??

I need to calculate the number of days worked in the UK in 2011-12, I can use an online calculator but not sure about annual leave etc, is that an issue or is an estimate OK??

Business travel and subsistence - In my job at NHS, I claimed expenses for some travel/accommodation eg. for conferences which were reimbursed through payroll but not taxed (or indeed taxable) - are these to be included?? I don't see how they are relevant.

Mortgage interest - do I include all interest paid in the tax year or just the interest paid after moving out and marketing for rent?

Any advice gratefully received, me head's banging :cry:

I'll try with a couple of your questions:

Business travel and subsistence - In my job at NHS, I claimed expenses for some travel/accommodation eg. for conferences which were reimbursed through payroll but not taxed (or indeed taxable) - are these to be included?? I don't see how they are relevant.

They don't need to be included. It is only expenses that were not reimbursed that are deductible from income (e.g. subscriptions to a professional body you didn't claim back). Equally the reimbursement isn't included in your income on your P60.

Mortgage interest - do I include all interest paid in the tax year or just the interest paid after moving out and marketing for rent?

Only the interest that relates to your letting income, once you have moved out.

You can get an accountant to do your return for about £160, I think that'd be a good investment! They should be able to save you more than that anyway.

Thanks but we shouldn't need one, the figures are really easy as it's just employed earnings and rental income/outgoings all of which took me 15 minutes to chuck into Excel :o) and I bought Tax Calc just to simplify filling the return electronically as I can't be doing with paper heheh. All that remains is to answer the residency stuff correctly and get it filed. Financial side = easy, residency= headache!

I'll try with a couple of your questions:

They don't need to be included. It is only expenses that were not reimbursed that are deductible from income (e.g. subscriptions to a professional body you didn't claim back). Equally the reimbursement isn't included in your income on your P60.

<snip>

Reimbursed expenses may need to be included if the employer included them on a form P11D.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett

Am I claiming "Personal allowances under a double taxation agreement or other basis as a non-resident"? I don't understand the notes, they just seem to bang on about being a national of zillions of other countries, NOT the UK??

I have completed the section "Claim as a non-resident for relief from UK tax under the terms of a Double Taxation Agreement" - I need a certificate of residence, would this be my Tax File Number Advice? visa??

OK, think I sorted this after many searches, which led me to a post on British Expats! Turns out it's yes to the first bit and no to the second bit - I had checked both. So no certificate of residence neded.

Think I'll save my dosh next year and do a paper return, not impressed with the lack of referencing between the notes in the software and the actual form, must remember to moan at TaxCalc about that when I'm done with these returns! Grr!

If you are a UK citizen you are claiming PA's because you are a UK citizen - not by virtue of the provisions of a Tax Treaty.

Best regards.

Yup, and unless I'm mistaken it looks like the "Personal allowances under a double taxation agreement or other basis as a non-resident" is the catch-all that covers this - ie. other basis as a non-resident.

Honestly, the ATO e-Tax was SO much clearer and easier!