Okay I know this term is branded about a bit these days but I am wondering what it means to you?

I reckon mine has become worse as I have got older. I do a lot of the usual stuff, I like to be neat and tidy, put things in rows, stack things like soldiers in the airing cupboard. Some other examples.

1. Can't walk on the pavement cracks, thankfully I draw the line (pardon the pun) at cobbles. For some reason these are not a problem.

2. I don't like food mixed on my plate, for example beans on toast is actually beans AND toast. If somebody stacks the fried egg on top of something, I can't eat it. No clue why.

3. I buy new pillows every 8 weeks. Marks and Spencers saw me coming. I still bought new ones today despite the fact that I am leaving UK in less than 4 weeks. The old ones look brand new, as do the other 8 sitting in the garage waiting to go to the tip. :eek:

Millie x

Visa: 475 regional GRANT 22/6/12, touchdown 4/11/12 . Applied 189 PR visa 13/11/14 Grant 20/1/15

OCD....an obsession with something that affects every day life or quality of life. Feeling anxious and panicky if you don't do said thing xyz amounts per day/week. The only OCD I have atm is checking my CRB application lol.

how long have you been waiting Stacy. Our most recent ones submitted for new employees were taking around six weeks

Millie x

Visa: 475 regional GRANT 22/6/12, touchdown 4/11/12 . Applied 189 PR visa 13/11/14 Grant 20/1/15

Dont know if its serious enough to be actual OCD but i have a bit of a obsession with making sure all electricity is off before i leave the house. Maybe obsession isnt the right word but at one point it was so bad i almost missed the bus to college placement because i convinced myself id left something on and had to run back.

Im a bit better now but i think its mostly cos im living with my mum so shes usually in when i leave. It'll go back to the same when i get my own place again.

Im also the same with locking doors/gates. Always think i've left them open and have to check.

Ok.. Now i sound like a crazy person probably.

Night!

Guest littlesarah
Dont know if its serious enough to be actual OCD but i have a bit of a obsession with making sure all electricity is off before i leave the house. Maybe obsession isnt the right word but at one point it was so bad i almost missed the bus to college placement because i convinced myself id left something on and had to run back.

Im a bit better now but i think its mostly cos im living with my mum so shes usually in when i leave. It'll go back to the same when i get my own place again.

Im also the same with locking doors/gates. Always think i've left them open and have to check.

Night!

I was told that it crosses the line to OCD when you start counting the number of times you have to do something!

I like to run through a conscious checklist that I've locked the doors, and watch the garage door close from my car before I drive off - but that's because I've been known to go on holiday for a week and leave the back door wide open or the front door unlocked, and go off to work having left the garage door wide open (which contains hubby's expensive tools and surfboards)! I find that making sure I do things consciously has stopped me from having to go back and check.

The trick, I find, is to 'switch on' and be conscious that you're doing the task. That way you know you did it. Though I've been known to write a lecture and forget I did it already until I get a few slides into writing the same thing again (you know you're crazy when you start doing that kinda s*@t!)

I was told that it crosses the line to OCD when you start counting the number of times you have to do something!

I like to run through a conscious checklist that I've locked the doors, and watch the garage door close from my car before I drive off - but that's because I've been known to go on holiday for a week and leave the back door wide open or the front door unlocked, and go off to work having left the garage door wide open (which contains hubby's expensive tools and surfboards)! I find that making sure I do things consciously has stopped me from having to go back and check.

The trick, I find, is to 'switch on' and be conscious that you're doing the task. That way you know you did it. Though I've been known to write a lecture and forget I did it already until I get a few slides into writing the same thing again (you know you're crazy when you start doing that kinda s*@t!)

Sounds good to me. I definitely need a leaving the house routine

Came home this evening after being out for dinner and found the yankee candle in the kitchen still going. That isn't good. I need to become obsessive about more things

Millie x

I have a few borderline OCD type things, that are definately getting worse as I get older, mainly because I find any mistake I make bites me back hard

I repeatedly check the garage door is closed at night, but as I check I'm often thinking of something else, so can't specifically remember checking properly, so will do it again and again, then I have to have a sliding cover on the door remote to ensure there's no chance of accidentally opening it.

I repeatedly check all plugs are off in the kids bedrooms and all power transformers are unpluged, that they've got nothing close by to choke on, or any string that could accidentally wrap around them, or anything that could fall on them etc etc.

I hate cupboard doors and drawers left open (wife is opposite and loves to leave them open, I often joke about how they all automatically close by themselves (actually it's just me closing them)).

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Night!

Actually I forgot I have this thing with turning off switches....even when they're not in my house and not being used I wanna turn them off! When I left the caravan earlier I convinced myself i left something on and it was gonna be a fireball when I got back lol.

how long have you been waiting Stacy. Our most recent ones submitted for new employees were taking around six weeks

Millie x

4 weeks tomorrow. They're aiming to do 90% in 4 weeks so tomorrow I WILL ring haha. It just seems like forever when you're not working and have no money or house!

Im the same! Even when we were at the hotel a few weeks ago i was convinced id left the straightners on and had to go back. Even if dave says theyre off.

Sarah your right - sorry i cant do the quote! Usually if i give myself enough time to get sorted in the morning i dont panic as much.

I still kept checking this morning though! With the counting thing - its not like i have to do it to a particular number but i think 5times is probably the worse its ever been. That was the time i almost missed the bus to placement lol.

I take it the only solution is some sort of meds. I wish i could just stop doing it as much

I was diagnosed with OCD when I was really poorly with it, it actually formed into agoraphobia. I plan things. If I'm going out, I get there an hour early, and I will plan where I'm going explicitly. If something goes wrong, I get very very upset. I also can't have other people touching my food.

But, since I met my OH a few years ago it subsided a lot and now I can leave the house much easier to get places, aiming to get there on time instead of an hour early. I still get everywhere fifteen minutes early but that's much better.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

Stacey, I was on Zoloft for a while, it's great for OCD and you feel pretty, erm, spaced out. But. It absoloutely kills your sex drive.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

I think the solution would be just to change your way of thinking....and anxiety meds if it was that bad.

I'd rather not use meds. I dont even know if its serious enough to be called ocd, it was always just called staceys electricty phobia lol. I dont think they knew about the door locking part, thats not as bad though.

I'll just need to change my way of thinking if i can

Just need

Guest littlesarah

Stacy, would it help to learn a bit about electric wiring, appliance fuses and RCDs etc? Regulations for appliances and home electrics are designed to minimise the risk of a problem, taking into account that people sometimes forget to use things in a totally safe way...

Family and friends are always saying I have a touch of the OCD, but I think that word is bandied around and after watching a TV programme of people who are real sufferers, I know I don't have it, just tendancies.

Things that I get anxious about are:

Wardrobe has to be colour coded (husband thinks it is hilarous to change things around)

Nothing can be placed onto a dining table (my Mum calls it my altar as everyone knows it is sacred)

Items have to be lined up neatly in cupboards

I am always washing my hands and have to have a constant supply of baby wipes at hand as I like to wipe things. My Beagle knows what they are for. She gets a good wipe with them each day and sits when she sees the packet come out of the cupboard:err:

IELTS 02/12 = 9's, AQF III 31/05/12, TRA Ass 14/11/12, EOI Submitted 14/11/12, Invite Received 15/11/12, 489 FS Lodged 29/11/12, CO Assigned 01/01/13, Meds 17/01/13 Grant 02/04/2013 189 Independent Visa Invitation 22/04/13, VISA GRANT 01/05/13

Arrived in Perth 09/10/13

I was diagnosed with OCD when I was really poorly with it, it actually formed into agoraphobia. I plan things. If I'm going out, I get there an hour early, and I will plan where I'm going explicitly. If something goes wrong, I get very very upset. I also can't have other people touching my food.

But, since I met my OH a few years ago it subsided a lot and now I can leave the house much easier to get places, aiming to get there on time instead of an hour early. I still get everywhere fifteen minutes early but that's much better.

Sounds like having OH around really helps to reduce the anxiety and 15 minutes is a nice polite time to arrive anywhere.

It's strange because you know how you feel isn't rational but it's so hard to switch off from it. So glad things have improved for you.

Millie x

Thanks Millie, it certainly has helped, I think when my levels of anxiety in general life go down, so do my tendencies. Thing is, people say it's irrational, but to me it's so completely logical to arrive that early somewhere; I take public transport everywhere and it isn't always reliable, so leaving that early seems normal to me; what if the bus was late? What if the stop I wanted to get off at was in roadworks? Etc. etc. The food thing seems normal to me too, people don't always wash their hands after going to the toilets, it's a pain when I go to a party or something because I know someone else has touched all the food. I also tend to hoard packaged foods for that reason!