Exhorbitant cost of anit-histamines!

Bridgeman

Had a hot day here in Perth yesterday, and consequently suffered itchy eyes, etc. Was desperate to get some antihistamines so popped into the nearest chemist I could find open as it was a bank holiday here. I nearly died when they charged me $39 for 30 tablets. Coming to the conclusion that with doctor's fees, dentist fees, cost of prescriptions and other top fees I can't afford to be ill here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We buy ours ,direct from the UK, we pay 50p for 30 antihistamine tabs,

We will not pay the "silly "prices here

We order all our 'lotions and potions" from the UK, and place a couple of big orders a year.Everything right down to plasters,and headache tabs,vitamins,you name it, we stock up,just in case, we even buy our toothpaste .

We certainly cant afford to be ill here

Guest guest17301

I think I pay about $18 for 30 phenergen, shop around, not all pharmacies are equal but I grant you medicines are more costly here...wizard warehouse pharmacy have some good deals...

Guest guest17301

Depends which antihistimine works for you too, they're not all the same, I prefer loratidine for day phenegen at night usually for itching

How useful is the safety net when you are on a lot of meds?

you have to spend $1363.30 on meds before it kicks in and then it's $5.80 per prescription, better than nothing I suppose.

nowhere near as good as the PPC in the U.K though.

Edited by amibovered

Guest JK2510
Thanks for the replies. I find only Clarityne works for me. And I was desperate - I will certainly look at ordering in the UK. Just wondering how you can be sure you are getting the genuine article by ordering online.

As Aussie residents are we allowed to import medications??

TBH I would research the online company before using them or go by reccommendations.

Thanks for the replies. I find only Clarityne works for me. And I was desperate - I will certainly look at ordering in the UK. Just wondering how you can be sure you are getting the genuine article by ordering online.

You don't have to buy it off shore you can get it much cheaper than you paid. You just picked the wrong chemist because you were desperate.

We buy ours ,direct from the UK, we pay 50p for 30 antihistamine tabs,

We will not pay the "silly "prices here

We order all our 'lotions and potions" from the UK, and place a couple of big orders a year.Everything right down to plasters,and headache tabs,vitamins,you name it, we stock up,just in case, we even buy our toothpaste .

We certainly cant afford to be ill here

Hi sapphire, that's great, do you order them online or does a family member / friend send them to you

Had a hot day here in Perth yesterday, and consequently suffered itchy eyes, etc. Was desperate to get some antihistamines so popped into the nearest chemist I could find open as it was a bank holiday here. I nearly died when they charged me $39 for 30 tablets. Coming to the conclusion that with doctor's fees, dentist fees, cost of prescriptions and other top fees I can't afford to be ill here.

how much ? .......dont need to tell ya ......about £ 7.99 here .......i should know ......i get hay fever , i picked it up as an adult ......bloody hate it

Ours is a lot worse here, and we are in year 5

Hubby uses his inhaler a lot more here too, even I use his inhaler when its really smoky in the winter, with all the wood heaters ,billowing smoke

thats hit a nerve .......i was as fit as a fiddle ......arrived in w.a early 90s ......went for a run .......short of breathe .......went into the local doctors " youve got asthma " ........p.ss off i said ........you have now ..............i actually developed issues in bunbury ........never had it as a child or in my teens

... and to add to louwexford's post, do you have to declare them as medicines and is there any Aussie customs duties to pay? We're coming out in December with a hayfever suffering son and wondered whether we should be bringing a couple of years' supply with us??!

... and to add to louwexford's post, do you have to declare them as medicines and is there any Aussie customs duties to pay? We're coming out in December with a hayfever suffering son and wondered whether we should be bringing a couple of years' supply with us??!

It felt like I had a small chemists in my suit case

No issues just declare it