As promised, update '1 YEAR IN' - enjoy :-)

young2682

Fantastic read ...... we arrive in Melbourne 11th January myself, husband and 2 children aged 10 and 15 years. I am excited and scared all in one been .....been planning it for so long and the last hurdle was handing in my notice officially at work, and I have since become a tad emotional about leaving my job and the lovely people I work with. Family are already planning their dates to visit which is good. My 15 year old is slowly coming round to the idea which is a huge improvement as he has always refused to go! which adds stress to the whole situation but we are getting there! Looking forward to our new challenge with its ups and downs!! Keep on with the updates xxx

I've half regretted leaving two good jobs in the UK, thirty years apart, 1978 and 2008. When you get into a good job, it's like a home away from home. Working casually, even after four months in the place, I envy the permanent staff with their own desks, covered in personal stuff, photos, mementos, whilst we only get a locker for the duration of our shift. Still, once you are here, you'll probably re-establish yourself in another organisation. I was having coffee and breakfast with a friend today, been here five months now, and I can't believe how well he has settled in. (Eggs Benedict for brekkie, first time in my life!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for late reply! Cost of schools (non private) are just book fees so usually between $150 and $200 per child per year depending on the school.

Childcare - Daycare (nursery) is between $70 and $90 per child per day which is pretty good, even better if you are permanent residents as you can claim back 50% of that if you work.

Depending on which area you move to, you can email or call the local council offices and they can give you an idea of cost too.

Good luck :-)

Great post, glad you are so happy and settling in.

Do you think that had you made as much effort to 'get out there' in the UK then you would have had similar enjoyable experiences?

I often think it's the case that people often need to go through a huge move to make them wake up and start enjoying life, shame they can't seem to get that wake up without the cost and expense (not just $$) of moving overseas.

Life is about getting out there, doesn't really matter which country you're in.