As promised, update '1 YEAR IN' - enjoy :-)

young2682

Hi all,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get around to this post, life gets in the way sometimes!

Well where do I even start, we have been reflecting on our journey over the past year and wow what an adventure!

One year ago, we left England to embark on the biggest adventure of our lives, the goodbyes were sad but ahead we had a sense of excitement and anticipation.

I remember when we landed in Melbourne on the 5th September 2011 thinking - wow, we are really here!

For the first 5 weeks we stayed in serviced apartments provided by my husbands company, it was right by the beach so we enjoyed that novelty!

We then moved to a suburb near my husbands work called Berwick, we love it here, it is very family focused, only 40 mins from the CBD, 25 mins to the beach and 20 mins to the mountains, lots of bars, cafes, restaurants, parklands etc :-)

The first few weeks were (we can look back and laugh) somewhat challenging, we managed to meet a few people and their generosity will never be forgotten, our first night in new rental we ate our first meal off a cardboard box and watched a tv the size of a laptop (with only 3 channels) that we borrowed from friends ha ha, but lets not be ungrateful, we were essentially starting again!

The children have been our saving grace, whenever we felt down or like things werent going our way, we would look at them and see happy faces, enjoying playing in the fresh aussie air and things felt, I dont know, right I guess.

The last year has been totally amazing, we have seen and done more things than in our entire lives in the UK, I guess looking back we didnt make as much effort so maybe that's our bad but a fresh start was what we needed!

The best part of all is most of the things are readily available to us, within 30-45 min drive - we have Australian beauty on our doorstep, how lucky are we!

Australia has more than exceeded my expectations, it is clean, vibrant, beautiful, the food is fresh and in abundance, the people are (mostly) friendly and cannot do enough for you! In fact I sometimes dread going some shops when I am in a hurry because they make such a fuss of you and conversations are plentiful!

For those of you that like to complain about how 'expensive' Australia is, please remember these things -

The roads are big, spacious and clean - yes the car tax is expensive but then look around you!

You get tax back every year you work, that for us is a new novelty and what a bonus!

You get super annuation (pension) if you are employed, between myself and my husband we get 19% pension paid by our companies.

Food is more expensive yes, but it is fresher and lasts longer so you throw a lot less away, so is it more expensive in the long run?

Outdoor life - pack a picnic, fill up your petrol tank and you have a cheap day out, anywhere you fancy, and unless you go to the city or somewhere very touristy, parking is FREE!

All parks whether they be in the city, mountains or coast, there are bbqs everywhere, they are free and readily available to use, I love this! in the summer we drive to the beach pack a few sausages and rolls, let the kids play, enjoy a paddle or walk along the beach, have a drink and a hotdog and then go home, awesome!

Trains are cheap as chips here, in fact on Sundays they are almost nothing so take a train into the city, walk along the yarra river, have a drink and cake and come home - cheap trip out!

Petrol prices match the uk but dollar to pound therefore cheaper!

The weather, well Melbourne is the state of all seasons but certainly the sun shines way more here which we love.

In the right trade you get paid well here, both my husband and I earn 2.5 times our wages in England :-)

I could go on and I know that everyones situations are different but these are our reasons as to why we want to live and bring up our children here :-)

The things we miss about the UK -

Obviously friends and family

Bisto - we get this sent out!!

Galaxy - we also get this sent!

Clothing - I still shop online at Dorothy Perkins, Next and River Island who all ship to Oz but this works out because I shop in the seasonal sales!

CURRY! But fortunately I have a husband that cooks an awesome curry, phew :-)

We have so many exciting things to look forward to here most weekends, we spend more time together as a family and love the great outdoors, we work hard and play hard, our kids are the happiest I have seen them and hardly ever watch tv anymore :-)

As a family moving to Australia there are hurdles you will come across and problems you will face, its not paradise but in my opinion close enough!

Moving anywhere whether is be Australia or Scotland you will always have difficulties to face but you HAVE to put yourself out there, when we first moved here we got ourselves out there and met people and now have a great circle of friends.

You have to make an effort to meet people and network yourself - especially if you have children, they are the best networking tool of all!

I dont know why there is so much negativity on this forum, people are very quick to talk about the bad stuff but rarely take the time to talk about the good.

So my advice to anyone thinking of moving to Australia, do your research, plan, network and enjoy! You only live once so take a chance!

I am happy to try and help if anyone wants to know anything - anyway must go, off to the top of a sunny mountain for a free childrens fun day :jiggy:

Thanks all, will update at 18 months xx

Very good post and you have put the life in a nutshell. As you say you can go out and about for free and without their being a queue when you get there.

I agree shopping on line has its advantages in Aus, because we have different seasons able to pick up all the sale items for our season.

Yes, you do have to "put yourself out there" and reserved poms will struggle, really struggle. Make the changes and it works. Simple.

I think this true, I am quite reserved and a non-drinker - which really means I am completely anonymous (invisible?) to most Australians. In the few years we have been here I have never formed a friendship with anyone Australian, they are almost like aliens to me.

'You get tax back every year you work, that for us is a new novelty and what a bonus!' - not sure that is true, I have got a fat bill every year apart from the first part year. Bearing in mind the Medicare levy and interest on any savings are not taxed at source, it seems inevitable to me that I will be charged more every year.

I think this true, I am quite reserved and a non-drinker - which really means I am completely anonymous (invisible?) to most Australians. In the few years we have been here I have never formed a friendship with anyone Australian, they are almost like aliens to me.

'You get tax back every year you work, that for us is a new novelty and what a bonus!' - not sure that is true, I have got a fat bill every year apart from the first part year. Bearing in mind the Medicare levy and interest on any savings are not taxed at source, it seems inevitable to me that I will be charged more every year.

You don't have to drink to get on with Aussies. Nobody in a pub/bar/restaurant/club will notice if you drink orange juice, or even water, which is provided free in any case. (I don't remember jugs of water and glasses being available in English pubs?) I suspect it is your own reserve which is rendering you 'invisible.' Try talking to 'them' in whichever social situation you are in - cafes, not pubs, for instance. Go to the same cafe every day and talk to the staff, to people around you. They won't bite!

It is in her signature.

Thanks. Normally I look at peoples signatures, but this time I was looking at her location below her avatar so I could work out where ther were talking about in Melbourne. Just goes to show I suppose that sometimes you don't see things right in front of you.

Edited by wakeboard1980

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic read ...... we arrive in Melbourne 11th January myself, husband and 2 children aged 10 and 15 years. I am excited and scared all in one been .....been planning it for so long and the last hurdle was handing in my notice officially at work, and I have since become a tad emotional about leaving my job and the lovely people I work with. Family are already planning their dates to visit which is good. My 15 year old is slowly coming round to the idea which is a huge improvement as he has always refused to go! which adds stress to the whole situation but we are getting there! Looking forward to our new challenge with its ups and downs!! Keep on with the updates xxx