ukchris

Islamic riots in Oz

Pious? It's not about works, but what's in your heart. This is a common misconception about Christianity: Too many people believe a Christian has to be affiliated with organized religion. Organized religion controls people based on what the "men on top" believe. A true Christian is a believer above all, and a person who abides by the words of Christ. End of story. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but it is what it is.

The reason why I quoted the bible text is because (for the people who believe), that is what should be gone by - Not beheadings and stonings. There is a big difference between true Christianity and Muslims.

Also, when you read the old testament, you should read it in context - not take two or three verses and derive a conclusion based on it.

I'd say that being baptized/calling yourself a Christian firmly affiliates yourself with an organised religion

"An inspirational leader...exceptionally enthusiastic, committed and motivated" OFSTED 2014.

There is stuff coming up that I was never taught, it's great.

same, its been a while since RE studies!

I'd say that being baptized/calling yourself a Christian firmly affiliates yourself with an organised religion

complete and utter lies. I am a baptized Christian and I don't go to church nor do I identify as part of a religion.

Anyway, lets get back to topic, please.

Edited by Sol2Oz

Skills 24/Aug/2011, IELTS OA 8.5, Submitted 175 - 11/11/11 at 1:11am!! CO: 7 May 2012Grant: 29 May118559f4ilsk2695.gif

All colonization was done in the name of God. We went to 'teach' the locals about civilization and culture.

No it wasn't. The continent of Australia was colonised because England had lost its penal settlements in the American Revolution and it needed a new place to send its prisoners. It also knew the French were exploring here and they wanted to stick it to the French.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by paulv viewpost-right.png

All colonization was done in the name of God. We went to 'teach' the locals about civilization and culture.

No it wasn't. The continent of Australia was colonised because England had lost its penal settlements in the American Revolution and it needed a new place to send its prisoners. It also knew the French were exploring here and they wanted to stick it to the French.

When anyone questions or talks against islamic practices paulv has used one of the standard arguments to justify islam, that being "you lot did in gods name yada yada yada".

Where Islam has never conquered another country or continent has it. Afganistan used to be a majority Buddhist/Hindu country until islam arrived and wiped the lot of them out, the mountain range the Hindu kush means something like Hindi massacre, Where Islam yes Islam murdered all the Hindu's and Buddhist, A fat lot of good that did for Afganistan.

We will now be arriving at Perth International Airport:biggrin:

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by paulv viewpost-right.png

When anyone questions or talks against islamic practices paulv has used one of the standard arguments to justify islam, that being "you lot did in gods name yada yada yada".

Where Islam has never conquered another country or continent has it. Afganistan used to be a majority Buddhist/Hindu country until islam arrived and wiped the lot of them out, the mountain range the Hindu kush means something like Hindi massacre, Where Islam yes Islam murdered all the Hindu's and Buddhist, A fat lot of good that did for Afganistan.

religious ideology doesn't kill - people do

"An inspirational leader...exceptionally enthusiastic, committed and motivated" OFSTED 2014.

....on 3 June 1992, the High Court announced its historic decision, namely overturning the legal doctrine of terra nullius - which is a term applied to the attitude of the British towards land ownership on the continent of Australia.

<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.200000762939453px; "><dd style="line-height: 1.5em; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; ">[/quote

The Mabo decision doesn't change the fact that Australian aboriginals were also, once, migrants to this continent.</dd></dl>

religious ideology doesn't kill - people do

No religious ideologist just drive people to kill for their sake or to get into a perceived paradise/heaven land of nod whatever they call it.

Now you're undermining your own points by admitting its not the religion, but the people who follow it who are the problem.

You've hit the spot with this too - 'cultures that do most definitely...'.

You're confusing cultural practices with religious ones. A common misconception it seems amongst the tolerant, forgiving, Christian types.

Not at all. Nobody made an assertion that Islam itself was the problem - obviously, it is how Islam is intepreted and the resultant behaviour of Muslims that can become a problem. Besides, many cultural practices are carried out in the name of Islam....the fact that you might academically argue that they are not part of the Quranic defintion of Islam doesn't mean that Islam as a movement isn't catalysing or enabling the transmission of problematic cultural practices.

Not at all. Nobody made an assertion that Islam itself was the problem - obviously, it is how Islam is intepreted and the resultant behaviour of Muslims that can become a problem. Besides, many cultural practices are carried out in the name of Islam....the fact that you might academically argue that they are not part of the Quranic defintion of Islam doesn't mean that Islam as a movement isn't catalysing or enabling the transmission of problematic cultural practices.

You might want to re read this thread. It's most definitely the case that people are making Islam the problem. The thread isn't called "Followers of Arabic cultural tradition riots"

You're misunderstanding them. What they really object to is Muslim behaviour. The word Islam is used as a catch-all for both the religion itself and the behaviour of its followers. Of course there are many rational objections to the religion as well - many of its teachings are incompatible with modern western culture. Democracy, freedom, equal rights, secular government, freedom of expression and thought - all of these are under threat from aggressive forces within the Islamic world that seek to use the religion to justify totalitarian dictatorship.

You're misunderstanding them. What they really object to is Muslim behaviour. The word Islam is used as a catch-all for both the religion itself and the behaviour of its followers. Of course there are many rational objections to the religion as well - many of its teachings are incompatible with modern western culture. Democracy, freedom, equal rights, secular government, freedom of expression and thought - all of these are under threat from aggressive forces within the Islamic world that seek to use the religion to justify totalitarian dictatorship.

i most certainly am not misunderstanding them. People who generalise about those dark types who have a different god misunderstand them.

Generalisations are inevitable when discussing group behaviour. The group being discussed here is violent muslim rioters who seek to dictate limits on free speech.

bless, thankfully the (correct) God fearing types were able to rain disease and death onto the great unwashed. It's exactly this that has led to the blowback we currently feel from the formerly colonised Muslim world. But let's not look at the bigger picture, it'll confuse things

Rain disease and death ? Is that what they did with the hospitals they built and the modern medicine and hygiene they brought ? Is that why mortality rates plummeted post-colonisation ?

Rain disease and death ? Is that what they did with the hospitals they built and the modern medicine and hygiene they brought ? Is that why mortality rates plummeted post-colonisation ?

Who helped the invaders bring down their own rates? No one. They learnt themselves. As others may have if left alone. Can you see the problem with your analysis?

And as for mortality rates in Indigenous population, you should ask the Tasmanian Aboriginals. Except they were all wiped out, so you can't.

Edited by paulv

And as for mortality rates in Indigenous population, you should ask the Tasmanian Aboriginals. Except they were all wiped out, so you can't.

The thriving Tasmanian Aboriginal community of today would take issue with that statement.

For a atheist Paulv you certainly do seam to always be standing up for a certain religion! Are you sure your not a proxy muslim?

For a atheist Paulv you certainly do seam to always be standing up for a certain religion! Are you sure your not a proxy muslim?

Since when does stating facts make me 'stand up' for a religion? Most religions are decidedly short on facts of any description

Since when does stating facts make me 'stand up' for a religion? Most religions are decidedly short on facts of any description

Because when one fails to point out all the facts then it makes you biased towards a certain religion. Just like you are with Islam.

Because when one fails to point out all the facts then it makes you biased towards a certain religion. Just like you are with Islam.

Because I don't have the same opinion as you does not mean I am biased.

Because I don't have the same opinion as you does not mean I am biased.

You were quite able to point out the bad things from the old testament and lay those points on the feet of Christians, yet you are not able to condemn one single thing from the Quran, why is that?. Do you believe that there is nothing bad said in the Quran?

I wont wait for a straight answer on that.

The thriving Tasmanian Aboriginal community of today would take issue with that statement.

The indigenous population was 'eradicated' by early last century.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_Tasmanian

Edited by paulv

You were quite able to point out the bad things from the old testament and lay those points on the feet of Christians, yet you are not able to condemn one single thing from the Quran, why is that?. Do you believe that there is nothing bad said in the Quran?

I wont wait for a straight answer on that.

As I stated earlier, I condemn no one, I leave that for others to do. And as I also said, all religions are as nutty as each other.

Edited by paulv

As I stated earlier, I condemn no one, I leave that for others to do. And as I also said, all religions are as nutty as each other.

I think you need to look at some old testament passages.

You'll find all this and more - God calling his followers to rape and enslave women and children, killing your children if they dishonour you, killing your wife if she commits adultery. Yet I'm still to hear anything about Christianity.

Pot kettle anyone?

Are the above not your words, and are they not condemning the old testament and its bygone followers.

You have your head so far up Islam's arse mate we can barley see your shoulders, Someone throw paulv a rope.