OMFG!!!!!

Guest lisa crowe

I'll take that challenge.

BUT

Comparable to what please?

ps Ive been to canberra so that's not fair as I recall that it is high on the national average for prices. BUT the houses are generally larger than UK one's from the photographs I have seen.

OK.

http://www.springbankrise.com.au/For%20Sale/HomeAndLand/NewOrExistingHome.aspx?villages={C26405DD-AAD2-473E-A1E8-CE3A32A49B5D}|{730E4AB7-417F-49FE-89F1-EA4181D504A4}&minprice=100000&maxprice=999000&storey=All|Double|Single|Split%20level&buildstatus=All&minrooms=1&maxrooms=6&minbaths=1&maxbaths=5&mincarspots=1&maxcarspots=4&

Sorry for the long link...these are on the very outskirts, right on the edge of bush. It's expensive and comparable to Sydney or Melbourne, but that's half the population? I don't expect Darwin to be cheaper either.

The issue i find is that the land plots are getting very small (maybe somewhere like Perth is bigger?)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoff - houses in Aus aren't three times larger. They are larger I'll grant you that. You'll probably get an extra bedroom, maybe a study, a laundry, plus an extra lounge type room for similar situations. At a guess I'd say they were 25% - 30% bigger. Gardens are becoming much smaller over there, and the houses are getting close to each other. Aussie houses also seem to be less economical with their space than the UK, which has the advantage of making them feel more roomy.

I'm not calling you a liar, but if you can find a comparable 3 bed house in Oz, in a place where people can commute into a city and send their kids to school, please post links.

Or better still, give any link to a newbuild 3 bed anywhere in Australia with costs, then compare it favourably to one of a similar spec and practicality to the UK?

Just as an aside there are not that many new build 3 bedders built in many parts of Australia as a rule. Unfortunately a very large percentage of them are 4 or 5. There are far more 3 bedders in established middle or inner areas.

Edited by fish.01

Hoff - houses in Aus aren't three times larger. They are larger I'll grant you that. You'll probably get an extra bedroom, maybe a study, a laundry, plus an extra lounge type room for similar situations. At a guess I'd say they were 25% - 30% bigger. Gardens are becoming much smaller over there, and the houses are getting close to each other. Aussie houses also seem to be less economical with their space than the UK, which has the advantage of making them feel more roomy.

Only new build houses are 3 times larger (on average). Totally different if you took all houses as a whole and averaged them though personally I think that difference (on average) would be a fair bit more than 25-30%.

Edited by fish.01

Just as an aside there are not that many new build 3 bedders built in Australia as a rule. Unfortunately a very large percentage of them are 4 or 5. There are far more 3 bedders in established middle or inner areas.

Well OK, 4 or 5 beds then. I just took 3 beds as a middle of the road. 4 bedders round here have a block size of about 600-700 m sq., which is comparable with the UK.

If there's any place in OZ that's putting them on blocks that are 3 times bigger, or making the houses 3 times bigger...I'd like to live in one but I don't know where they are and nobody saying that they exist can provide any links?

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

Well OK, 4 or 5 beds then. I just took 3 beds as a middle of the road. 4 bedders round here have a block size of about 600-700 m sq., which is comparable with the UK.

If there's any place in OZ that's putting them on blocks that are 3 times bigger, or making the houses 3 times bigger...I'd like to live in one but I don't know where they are and nobody saying that they exist can provide any links?

I would have thought having far more 4 or 5 bedrooms houses is what bumps the average size up to 3 times rather than just making 4 bedroom houses 3 times bigger - though many of the new build houses do seem far, far, bigger than they used to be.

Edited by fish.01

Its in relation to the opening post using the current exchange figure, you obviously missed it. I will repeat again, if you use the current exchange rate, average earnings are 40% more in Australia, using the PIO 2.2 rate it's almost the same and most skilled workers will earn the average wage of $65,000 some even more.

$65,000 is nothing in australia

I'm just about to leave London for Melbourne and we are renting our 2 bedroom flat (not that big either) out in South London (reasonably nice zone 2 , but not an uber "exclusive" area) for £1600 per month. It's not that cheap in the UK anymore!

your in for a huge shock if you think the uk is expensive wait till you get to melbourne.

Don't be such a scare-monger, I don't think Melbourne's that expensive. Unless of course you insist on champagne and caviar with every meal :)

Then it's pricey of course!

im not trying to scare anyone and i dont drink...this place is here to give help and advice.. my advice is be careful and think what your doing melbourne is a fantastic place to live,but the cost is killing it,people i work with who were brought and raised up here cant believe the rise of stuff in the last 18 months,your not gonna tell me things are reasonably priced here surely

No, there was a series of articles about how the average Australian new build house had now eclipsed the USA. In the table accompanying the article(s) it listed the average new build house size in a bunch of countries including the UK.

Hoff has posted the link a few times but the right words in google should find it pretty quickly. Let us know if you can't find it and I'll try.

Personally I think Australian new build houses are now too big but that's another thread...

Here's one of those articles: http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/jobs-money/aussie-homes-biggest-in-the-world.htm

We really need to look at this as it will cost us in the long run...

I would have thought having far more 4 or 5 bedrooms houses is what bumps the average size up to 3 times rather than just making 4 bedroom houses 3 times bigger - though many of the new build houses do seem far, far, bigger than they used to be.

Ok, I think the only way that calculation works is if you substitute "homes" for "houses", so you're taking the total area of all the homes in Oz, dividing them by the number of homes to get the average habitation size, then comparing it to the same in the UK (where assumedly they have a lot more homes that are studio's and 1 bed apartments and thus a lot smaller)

That would make sense to get a figure of 3 times or 200% bigger, they must include all "homes" because it's complete nonsense even if you just compared houses.

It's not the same as that fella saying that houses in Oz are on average 3 times bigger than the UK, because as houses, they're plainly not 200% bigger on average.

edit. Yep that article above talks about "homes", not "houses". To get a figure for houses they would need to exclude all apartments in both countries, then divide total area of "house space" by "number of houses". I guess that'll make Aussie houses about 25% bigger roughly?

It's not surprising, the UK is miserly on space and they haven't really got the excuse of footprint when they're building high rises up in the air, it's all about builder's greed and trying to force a way of living.

We looked at working in Orlando a few years ago and the average size for a 1 bed unit was 71m sq + balcony......in the UK it was 46m sq. including balcony, which was often just a big windowsill for a pot plant.

There was a private apartment developer in Birmingham who somehow got planning permission off the Council for units in a conservation area, then he went bust before they'd been sold. The Council then wouldn't even take it over at cost because it didn't meet minimum space or quality requirements for council housing, even though they'd given it permission to be built in order to collect extra money from the builder for public facilities. Negligent as hell....

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

Guest The Ropey HOFF

i have just posted my average house size thread for you, they are nearly 3 times bigger.

If you're traveling the world at all this summer, chances are you'll come across homes smaller than your average U.S. house. We found the above chart at the BBC (love its Josef Albers-esque aesthetics) and we converted to square feet after the jump:

The article we read is about home sizes in the UK. The Brits' homes are actually the smallest, on average, for all of Europe! Here's the conversion for the chart above, alongside an Albers just for fun (remember, these are averages and reflect new homes constructed since 2003):

US: 2,300sf

Australia: 2,217sf

Denmark: 1,475sf

France: 1,216sf

Spain: 1,044sf

Ireland: 947sf

UK: 818sf

Edited by The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Ropey HOFF
$65,000 is nothing in australia

The average UK wage of £22,000 is even worse, this figure hasn't gone up since 2007 due to the lack of pay rises and cuts average wages in Australia have gone up by over 20% over the same period.

i have just posted my average house size thread for you, they are nearly 3 times bigger.

If you're traveling the world at all this summer, chances are you'll come across homes smaller than your average U.S. house. We found the above chart at the BBC (love its Josef Albers-esque aesthetics) and we converted to square feet after the jump:

The article we read is about home sizes in the UK. The Brits' homes are actually the smallest, on average, for all of Europe! Here's the conversion for the chart above, alongside an Albers just for fun (remember, these are averages and reflect new homes constructed since 2003):

You've got that completely wrong mate. You're talking about house sizes and the article you've actually quoted is talking about home size average, which includes in the UK thousands upon thousands of tiny apartments and studios that brings the average right down...can you not see the difference?

Nobody is arguing with the figures above, what they're saying is that you don't understand them because you're trying to prove a completely different argument.

The average UK wage of £22,000 is even worse, this figure hasn't gone up since 2007 due to the lack of pay rises and cuts average wages in Australia have gone up by over 20% over the same period.

your not listening im saying $65,000 is nothing in australia i never mentioned the uk but been as you have again tried to twist things here goes 22 grand in the uk will go much farther in the uk than $66,500 will do in australia you have no idea of the cost of living here as you don't live here,

I think the housing market is crazy here, the prices are so high...

However, you do 'most' of the time, in the area we live, get a bigger home for your money compared to the UK.

My friends all live in bigger homes than my friends in the UK.

We rented our old house out for £600 a mth and came here renting for $450 a week! however, we left a 3 bedroom semi, with a tiny yard to rent a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom ensuite with a pool.

We now rent a home which is massive and out of our price range in the UK.

We are 'hoping' to move a little more rural and hubby commute, so we can afford a place.Its far to expensive where we live now to buy a home for us. It will however hopefully be on an acre or two.

Edited by fairystar32

A lot of these figures also don't take account of the fact that even when the houses are bigger, the blocks are tiny. There are whole suburbs with houses where the garden at the back is effectively a path and that's it.

We have spent an age visiting builders and the average property size for a budget of $200k build price, which is about the average is about 220 square meters including alfresco. Take the alfresco off and your down to just over 200.

We could get a cheaper builder and the fore a bigger house, but the quality is crap and we can't afford a block more than about $180k and it is a requirement to have a front garden in most areas of a certain size and we want a bit of garden and room for a pool in the future so no point in filling it up with a bigger house.

I lovethe way some people just post that its an inherent fact you will earn double what you earn in the UK

Its complete twoddle. Hoff you dont even live in Oz yet, what happens when you get there and you dont earn what you expect?

You may earn double but thats dollars and when taking into account the cost of livin in Oz it is actually less in many cases.

Yes you dont get a lot in Oz for property considering the size of the place

For new homes possibly. It's funny - but I've never understood two things.

In Australia - people build 4x2's - even if they have no children or never intend to have children. No one builds a large two bedroom house, it's just not done. It's also hard to progress through the housing ladder within the same area. You don't buy a small house, and then buy a bigger house in the same area. You tend to move to a different area if you are upsizing.

In the UK, new houses tend to be very small. In fact - it's hard to find a house that hasn't been extended in some way. This seems much more common in the UK than Oz. I don't know many houses that haven't been extended. Why don't they build them bigger to start with? Is it just to give FHB a chance to get on the ladder?

But to cut to the chase Hoff - if you think you can move to Oz and buy a house three times bigger than your current house - then I think you will be sadly mistaken.

Edited by newjez

OK...just to make it simple and to get those off their high horses... only posted this as we have 2 houses back in UK which are rented out at £547 & £450 per calendar month...So was like OMFG!! penny just dropped we're paying £1040 a month...But we have water views lol

Where are your houses to only get that for them? I live in a small one bed flat in London and pay a lot more rent than both your houses added together, and its not even a particularly nice one bed!

Guest guest17301

Hey Hoff...I hope you get to Oz, I hope you get the house of your dreams, I hope you and Helen contiinue to earn a decent wage as you do in your respective professions in the UK too ...and I hope you enjoy the wonderful weather we enjoy here and make the most of the opportunities to get out and about more while enjoying some stunning natural scenery (not in the rain...) Ffs theres some miserable nasty mean minded t$#***$ on here who'd LOVE nothing more than to see you fail...don't waste too uch time worrying about them though it happened to me too and we're doing ok.....