OMFG!!!!!

Guest lisa crowe

OK...just to make it simple and to get those off their high horses... only posted this as we have 2 houses back in UK which are rented out at £547 & £450 per calendar month...So was like OMFG!! penny just dropped we're paying £1040 a month...But we have water views lol

I'm just about to leave London for Melbourne and we are renting our 2 bedroom flat (not that big either) out in South London (reasonably nice zone 2 , but not an uber "exclusive" area) for £1600 per month. It's not that cheap in the UK anymore!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I'm just about to leave London for Melbourne and we are renting our 2 bedroom flat (not that big either) out in South London (reasonably nice zone 2 , but not an uber "exclusive" area) for £1600 per month. It's not that cheap in the UK anymore!

Ouch................................

Just realized we're paying $1720 four weekly in rent or roughly £1040 ...**** me what would £1040 a month get ya back in the UK

I know you're just having a OMFG moment so not commenting on that....but just as an aside in case you don't know $1720 is the average wage equivalent to about £780 so that's about how much you are paying in cost of living terms.

Thanks for the advice, you have only been on here five minutes, but I have been on here over 4 years and there's not much I don't know, people earn on average over 40% to what the average Brit earns, it's a fact and most on PIO are skilled migrants and will get paid at least that well.

The time that someone has been a member is irrelevant Jim, someone could join today and have lived in Aus for the last 10 years which means they're a mine of information. I'm sure they will be able to fill the gaps in your knowledge about living and working in Australia

Edited by ali

OK...just to make it simple and to get those off their high horses... only posted this as we have 2 houses back in UK which are rented out at £547 & £450 per calendar month...So was like OMFG!! penny just dropped we're paying £1040 a month...But we have water views lol

I guess it is a shock if you aren't used to steep rental prices! But we pay $1,822 a month and have a view of.......a wall. This is actually cheaper than we paid in England, our last rental for a 2 bed place was £1,250 a month (in Windsor).

I do love this thread. It's a lot like the thread comparing the schooling in both countries.

Here's one I found in Perth for $8000 a month

http://reiwa.com.au/Rental-Properties/Peppermint-Grove/3195362

I could probably find on in London for the same.

It seems some people need to go looking for justification for the decisions they have made or are about to make. You should really be asking yourselves why?

Thanks for the advice, you have only been on here five minutes, but I have been on here over 4 years and there's not much I don't know, people earn on average over 40% to what the average Brit earns, it's a fact and most on PIO are skilled migrants and will get paid at least that well.

I can't see what gives you the right to say that to a member.

You might have been on the forum for 4 years but you've never lived in Australia so how can you know more???

My opinion only

Howard

But you are earning 40% or more extra wage if you are using the exchange rate and have done your homework right, plus ...... The houses are huge compared to the UK. Overall rent is dearer there though, but there are some benefits, the weather, near to the ocean, the weather, lol

Also rates are included here.....not so in UK, plus we didn't pay for our water when we were renting here......

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Jim, the amount of time that you have been on PIO does not make your opinion any more valid than the poster who as you put it has been on for 5 mins. Perhaps the poster that has been on PIO for 5 mins is actually living in Australia, which would make their point just as valid as yours.

Researching both on this site and other sources is great, but so is actually living and experiencing the place first hand. Also do you have any back up to your fact that most skilled migrants will get 40% more wages than they did in the UK??

Cheers

Karen

Its in relation to the opening post using the current exchange figure, you obviously missed it. I will repeat again, if you use the current exchange rate, average earnings are 40% more in Australia, using the PIO 2.2 rate it's almost the same and most skilled workers will earn the average wage of $65,000 some even more.

I havent actually been on here for 5 minutes Hoff!I used to post under my OH's user name,before even you joined!Good luck with the reality check!

Edited by Jacaranda

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It actually works, I've used that rate going to Aus and coming back to the UK, so yes it does work, may. Not for everyone but it's more accurate than using the current exchange rate

It helps most people, don't know why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over it.

I guess it is a shock if you aren't used to steep rental prices! But we pay $1,822 a month and have a view of.......a wall. This is actually cheaper than we paid in England, our last rental for a 2 bed place was £1,250 a month (in Windsor).

"Have a view of............a wall!!!!love it,just tickled me that pause between words,then "wall":laugh::notworthy:

But you are earning 40% or more extra wage if you are using the exchange rate and have done your homework right, plus ...... The houses are huge compared to the UK. Overall rent is dearer there though, but there are some benefits, the weather, near to the ocean, the weather, lol

The house are not huge compared to the uk don't know where you got that from

The house are not huge compared to the uk don't know where you got that from

Well I know several people who own houses in OZ, I have stayed in them and they were all Huge compared to my UK Box.

Well I know several people who own houses in OZ, I have stayed in them and they were all Huge compared to my UK Box.

You might just have a little house, they might have more money than you, or they might have bought them 20 years ago and the price has risen so much that they're not an option for a new migrant?

I'm not calling you a liar, but if you can find a comparable 3 bed house in Oz, in a place where people can commute into a city and send their kids to school, please post links.

Or better still, give any link to a newbuild 3 bed anywhere in Australia with costs, then compare it favourably to one of a similar spec and practicality to the UK?

I can buy a house 40 miles outside Canberra with 800 acres for the same price as one in the City on 800m sq., but the point is, it's not practical if you have to live and work....you've got to compare apples with apples or it's just fantasy.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

I live in Australia and I think what Hoff has posted is more accurate than the other posts. New build houses in OZ are 3 times bigger than UK new builds (unfortunately in my opinion - note new builds only) and mathematically it makes far more sense using an estimate for the difference in average wages when comparing cost of living (and salaries) than the exchange rate. Using the exchange rate is mathematically illogical.

Doesn't mean the OP can't have an OMFG moment though :biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I live in Australia and I think what Hoff has posted is more accurate than the other posts. New build houses in OZ are 3 times bigger than UK new builds (unfortunately in my opinion - note new builds only) and mathematically it makes far more sense using an estimate for the difference in average wages when comparing cost of living (and salaries) than the exchange rate. Using the exchange rate is mathematically illogical.

Doesn't mean the OP can't have an OMFG moment though :biggrin:

Cheers fish, I am on here to help people and no amount of personal attacks and abuse will put me hoff.

your wrong as per usual,i dont care how long you have been on here until you move somewhere you cant be as judgemental as you are,

You might just have a little house, they might have more money than you, or they might have bought them 20 years ago and the price has risen so much that they're not an option for a new migrant?

I'm not calling you a liar, but if you can find a comparable 3 bed house in Oz, in a place where people can commute into a city and send their kids to school, please post links.

Or better still, give any link to a newbuild 3 bed anywhere in Australia with costs, then compare it favourably to one of a similar spec and practicality to the UK?

I can buy a house 40 miles outside Canberra with 800 acres for the same price as one in the City on 800m sq., but the point is, it's not practical if you have to live and work.

I'll take that challenge.

BUT

Comparable to what please?

ps Ive been to canberra so that's not fair as I recall that it is high on the national average for prices. BUT the houses are generally larger than UK one's from the photographs I have seen.

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

I can buy a house 40 miles outside Canberra with 800 acres for the same price as one in the City on 800m sq., but the point is, it's not practical if you have to live and work.

Taking cost, commute and build into account would make things far closer. Maybe we should give this a go and see if there is any difference. Even though I guess a few examples are not representative, and picking similar cities to compare might be impossible, it still might be fun and help people a little to see their choices. Want to set some ground rules?

I'm genuinely interested in this...can you post some links to real estate or housebuilder sites/plans? Is this in NSW or somewhere else?

No, there was a series of articles about how the average Australian new build house had now eclipsed the USA. In the table accompanying the article(s) it listed the average new build house size in a bunch of countries including the UK.

Hoff has posted the link a few times but the right words in google should find it pretty quickly. Let us know if you can't find it and I'll try.

Personally I think Australian new build houses are now too big but that's another thread...