WHV Granted :D

nickachu

Well since I live in the middle of nowhere, and have just got back from spending 2 years in Sweden(broke up with girlfriend), there's hardly anyone I know here (just family basically), and nothing to do. I'm basically spending my time doing lots of research, and apply for jobs, and counting down the days!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, gonna be a bit of a difference, 2 white Christmasses to whatever Brisbane is going to be like at Christmas!

Will do, we'll see where I end up, not planning (we'll see what happens though) on travelling that much to begin with anyway, aiming for job and houseshare to begin with, dont really fancy staying in hostels for too long.

Hello again. 3 more sleeps til I go! Woo!

Has anyone (this should probably be in the renting section but nevermind) found a houseshare on gumtree or somewhere like that? I kinda wanna stay in the same place for a while to begin with and would prefer a houseshare, does anyone know if you need anything, apart from the finances to do it? I think it'd be easier and cheaper than renting out a place on my own and would be a good way to hopefully meet some aussie people and not just backpackers. Any tips, apart from just ring up the ads and try and find a nice one?

Congratulations mate.

I did the same thing as you, flew in on a WHV and now have been offered sponorship to stay although.... I did kind of cheat as I now work for the Australian division of the company I worked in for 4 years in the UK.

I live in Brisbane about 10 min walk from the city center, let me know if you have any questions about anything , I would be more than happy to help you !

What hostel did you end up booking?

EDIT: in regards to your renting question, i really depends on what kind of house you plan on staying, if it just somone renting out a room in their house , they just need to like the look of you I guess... but some landlords will ask for different kinds of ID, a bank statement? maybe a proof of employment? - Like I said it depends on what kind of house you were looking for.. have a look on gumtree, you should find a place no problem.... my advice would be for you is to say your working here and not a backpacking, as most Aussies have avery narrow opinion on what backpackers are and they tend be very unreliable due to the nature of what they do... (drink goon 7 days a week and move on when they feel like it)

Edited by Matt89

Aussie way backpackers! I've been emailing recruitment agents and companies in my field and haven't had totally negative feedback, more along the lines of give us a call when you're here and we'll see what we can do, which is good for me. I've been looking on gumtree, some of them actually look quite nice! Suppose it'll be easier once I actually am there and can ring people up. I've got about £5k saved up so think I'll be alrite until I can find something.

Where's good for a pint then?! :D

Survived the flights. Still a bit jetlagged. Started looking for work, got mixed signals with regards to finding a job within the chemical engineering sector. Hostel is ok, not the greatest, but it'll do for now, gotta really find a job within the next week or so, so I've got time to find a houseshare or something like that. It is quite lonely coming here on my own to. Spose I better man up and start talking to people!