All things 'horse' & 'country' thread.....

Galahad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Caramac,

No - I'm not at that level either....I think he's wonderful.....!

My horse is already in Queensland - he didn't come with me to England....I brought two dogs & a cat but couldn't quite (!) run to the $30-odd thousand dollars to take him two ways.....

Also at the time of leaving I had two horses - the little 14.3hh Palomino in the post above....& it would have been unthinkable to bring two...especially as she was 32....

Sadly she 'went' last year at 33.

Hal is now with a very good friend who gives him 'hoof-spa' treatments - I kid you not ! :laugh:

Getting the nails done - Queensland Style.12.11.jpg

I will have been away three years by the time I return...I miss him sooooo much....but I receive regular photos from my friend - which helps....

Getting the nails done - Queensland Style.12.11.jpg

Hi Jack,

It's a long time since I was in Sydney (or surrounds) ....

I lived out Richmond/Windsor way - but you could go to the equestrian centre in Centennial Park - I'm pretty sure there are still stables there & some instructors - they could point you in the right direction....

When I first went to Sydney I kept a horse at the stables & rode in Centennial Park every day - it felt so wonderful riding in the city - protected by beautiful parkland but knowing you were in stunning Sydney...

I think it's massively expensive now to do that - I suppose it always was, but I was earning very good money then & rode every evening....magical.

It won't take you long to find your way around, Australia's very horse orientated.....

All the very best.....:smile:

hfcw4yd0n7zxrt6s.jpg

Aha - this is the magazine you're going to need - I do feel for you leaving your gorgeous mare - but it may help you to look at some more gorgeous horses...in the area your going to be in.....

I see Petals has posted a link - Thanks Petals - & there's also http://www.dressage.net.au (there's a subheading for official tests....)

It can get cold in Victoria too - but not between September & May !!

You don't have to stable quite so much - my own horse was bred in Victoria (& still grows the Winter coat to prove it !) & it has to be clipped in Queensland Summers....

He loves being clipped - leans into the clippers as if to say 'Ooooh - yes, just there, left hand down a bit'.....

You'll soon get into it....horse-y area you're goin' to methinks !

Hi Caramac,

No - I'm not at that level either....I think he's wonderful.....!

My horse is already in Queensland - he didn't come with me to England....I brought two dogs & a cat but couldn't quite (!) run to the $30-odd thousand dollars to take him two ways.....

Also at the time of leaving I had two horses - the little 14.3hh Palomino in the post above....& it would have been unthinkable to bring two...especially as she was 32....

Sadly she 'went' last year at 33.

Hal is now with a very good friend who gives him 'hoof-spa' treatments - I kid you not ! :laugh:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16903[/ATTACH]

I will have been away three years by the time I return...I miss him sooooo much....but I receive regular photos from my friend - which helps....

He's lovely and looks very chilled, if that's him having his hoof spa!

Hi all,

i started riding when I was 7, rode regularly until I was 16 and then on and off til 3 yrs ago when I part loaned a lovely grumpy old grey called Charlie. Unfortunately I had to stop when I was pregnant as I had such bad morning sickness and Charlie was a very bouncy horse so it was a bad combination! Otherwise I would have kept it up til my jods didn't fit anymore!

We are hoping to move to Perth soon and I would love to get back into riding and hubby even asked me if one day I would like to have my own horse, which I hadn't even thought about!

I have done some research into stables and there seem to be quite a few in the far south, north and east of Perth. If anyone can recommend a yard for lessons or hacking that would be fab. Also the cost of full livery seems quite cheap in aus or am I missing something??

thanks

x

Hi Lozzachino,

Many people would like to clone your hubby !

He knows the way to a horsey-girl's heart....I had the other sort ' I can't believe what you spend on THAT animal ! '

Here's the word you need to learn - 'AGISTMENT'....the 'G' is soft like 'Geronimo' not hard like 'girl'....

That's livery, Australian style.

I had no idea what the word meant when I first saw it - but it is the Australian word for boarding horses in return for money....

You can pay for 'full' or 'part' but it's all Agistment.

Here's the link for Perth Pony Club www.perthhorseandponyclub.com - always a good place to start....

People (having experience of English/British Pony Clubs) may think it's strange that I recommend Pony Clubs as a launching pad for adults - but it's much more open in Australia....

Maybe it's just my perception, but I don't remember many adults in my English Pony Club when I was a child - apart from the elderly tweedy lady who owned the 'grinds'... & her equally tweedy husband who wore a 'deer-stalker' hat....& a few terribly 'horsey-looking' helpers in baggy jodhpurs & ties - & that was just the women !

Anyway - it's 'all-ages-welcome' in Australia - & there are also ARCs (Adult Riding Clubs) although most of them seem to accept children too...

Regarding cost - yes - generally it is less expensive in Australia - especially in rural areas....

The cost of feed can fluctuate in drought - I can remember paying $40 a bag for chaff at one point in Queensland....& I had 10 horses at the time.....EEEEEK!!!!!

Here's a website for a riding school in Perth & I'm sure you'll find others - perhaps you could email them & see which one 'sort of fits' what you want to do....

Horse Riding Lessons Perth - Contact Us: 62 Park St, Henley Brook WA 6055 - 9296 1222 or 0438 855 579 or enquiry@orielparkequestrian.com.au.

Edited by Galahad

Hi ALL I also use to go horse riding too, and would love to start again once in Australia we are moving to kalgoorlie so if anyone knows of any stable school's there be much appreciated and how much it would cost a lesson. I use to love going on hacks. I love animals and I have a dog called Llewey and he be flying out a week before us and he be based in Q station Perth. Then his new home will be kalgoorlie. we fly out on the 12th November 2012 so not long to go now. So if anyone will be interested in meeting up when we out there then please give us a buzz. :biggrin:

Hi Lisamic,

I put this link in a message to someone else on this forum....... www.kalgoorlieponyclub.com .......so there's a chance that there is another Pom-in-Ozzer in Kalgoorlie who also loves riding....

Lesson costs vary enormously depending on the level of your instructor - but the local horse community will help you out with all necessary info re. riding in their particular area....

Not long until you go now....& that's a lovely photo of beautiful dogs - is Llewey one of those ?

The name sounds Welsh - are they Welsh ? They look too long in the leg to be Welsh corgis....

All the best with your imminent trip.... :smile:

Guest Ptp113

The equine industry in 2007 in Australia was a $6.3 billion contribution to the economy. It has grown significantly since then. The ACT has the highest horse ownership per head in the country. I can't comment on the differences between Britain and here but most horses are paddock agisted, rather than stabled. We have a 14.2 hh English Riding Pony, with a pedigree we can follow back to the 1400's in the U.K. For us it has been a steep learning journey coming from a non horse background, but I can now discuss laminitis, pedal bone rotation, feed balancing, joint supplements, and well mosy anything really, with the best of 'em. A 7 days a week, 365 days a year commitment, not for the faint hearted or lazy which surprisingly many horse owners are. My 2c

"....The equine industry in 2007 in Australia was a $6.3 billion contribution to the economy...."

...And I'm pretty sure that figure is (or was when it was presented) quite apart from the Horse Racing industry....

Toowoomba once had the accolade of having more head of horse than humans - perhaps that prize has now moved to the ACT !

2007 was a tough year for anyone in Queensland with horses because of Equine 'Flu....it shut everything down.... shows, pony clubs, clinics...riding schools....

My two got it - as did every property in my road....

You couldn't get farriers to come out without 'sterilization' procedures....& all businesses suffered.....

But it was only ever going to be a dent in the industry - not its demise....

Horse ownership in Australia is a steep learning curve even if you've been involved with horses in the UK Ptp113 !

And horse ownership anywhere is never for the faint hearted.....not even in 'easier' environments....

My paddock was often filled with horses who 'needed help' - some desperately....in the drought....

When researching agistment facilities be very fussy. Then be fussy again.....

Assess their paddock shade, their fencing, their general safety & atmosphere.....happy horses & happy people required.....

When I came to the UK I knew it would be for at least three years & so I chose a 'reputable agistment facility' (run by a retired top-class dressage rider & teacher) who promised to 'look after my (then two) horses as if they were their own' (& their own looked great)...

All went well until I was in the UK - sending goodly amounts of money every month....except this money was not used to feed my horses....

When I got that 'gut feeling' after photos were not sent I asked a friend from Brisbane to visit - no mean 'ask' as it was a four hour drive each way in a Lancruiser....

She took photos & was shocked at my horses' condition....

To cut a long story short I had to 'rescue' my own horses with the help of wonderful friends (as I was here in the UK)....& my wonderful friends put in the hard yards bringing them back into condition....

There's a longer story - but probably for another day....

Thanks for your post Ptp113 - good post....

Yes, to all changing hemispheres & wanting or bringing horses - research, research, research & ask, ask, ask....& then it's fun.....

Guest Ptp113
"....The equine industry in 2007 in Australia was a $6.3 billion contribution to the economy...."

...And I'm pretty sure that figure is (or was when it was presented) quite apart from the Horse Racing industry....

Toowoomba once had the accolade of having more head of horse than humans - perhaps that prize has now moved to the ACT !

2007 was a tough year for anyone in Queensland with horses because of Equine 'Flu....it shut everything down.... shows, pony clubs, clinics...riding schools....

My two got it - as did every property in my road....

You couldn't get farriers to come out without 'sterilization' procedures....& all businesses suffered.....

But it was only ever going to be a dent in the industry - not its demise....

Horse ownership in Australia is a steep learning curve even if you've been involved with horses in the UK Ptp113 !

And horse ownership anywhere is never for the faint hearted.....not even in 'easier' environments....

My paddock was often filled with horses who 'needed help' - some desperately....in the drought....

When researching agistment facilities be very fussy. Then be fussy again.....

Assess their paddock shade, their fencing, their general safety & atmosphere.....happy horses & happy people required.....

When I came to the UK I knew it would be for at least three years & so I chose a 'reputable agistment facility' (run by a retired top-class dressage rider & teacher) who promised to 'look after my (then two) horses as if they were their own' (& their own looked great)...

All went well until I was in the UK - sending goodly amounts of money every month....except this money was not used to feed my horses....

When I got that 'gut feeling' after photos were not sent I asked a friend from Brisbane to visit - no mean 'ask' as it was a four hour drive each way in a Lancruiser....

She took photos & was shocked at my horses' condition....

To cut a long story short I had to 'rescue' my own horses with the help of wonderful friends (as I was here in the UK)....& my wonderful friends put in the hard yards bringing them back into condition....

There's a longer story - but probably for another day....

Thanks for your post Ptp113 - good post....

Yes, to all changing hemispheres & wanting or bringing horses - research, research, research & ask, ask, ask....& then it's fun.....

PM me the longer story when you have time

Triple lucky I call that !

Great set-up !

Very fortunate little girl.....any chance of some album pics at some point - it would be great to see Jake & his small person.....

I find keeping horses easier in Australia, but then I never had those kind of facilities at my disposal - what a head start for your daughter....

This is my daughter Annie and Jake at last Sunday's show P1070766.jpg

P1070766.jpg

I love riding, unfortunately don't get to go as often as I like. However I have booked myself and my sister on a beach ride for tomorrow, looking forward to a good gallop on my local beach in north Devon one last time before I move to oz in 11 days time. I have always said I would own my own horse one day but I think that might still have to wait for a few years until I have settled in QLD. Until then I hope to go riding as much as possible on my sister in laws farm as they have a few horses.

Hi Andy - that's stunning - what a great shot !

Textbook - Annie looking towards the next jump & Jake's ears forward - having a great time.... :cool:

...And goodness - I haven't jumped on grass like that for a very long time ! Definitely English grass ! :laugh:

Hi Andy - that's stunning - what a great shot !

Textbook - Annie looking towards the next jump & Jake's ears forward - having a great time.... :cool:

...And goodness - I haven't jumped on grass like that for a very long time ! Definitely English grass ! :laugh:

Thanks, i had to get the wife to help me upload the photo :cute:, anyway i think the photo shows how much they both enjoy it and i am very proud of Annie for doing so well, just need somewhere to hang all the rosettes :laugh:

Hi Anika....

Where-abouts are you in Devon ?

I see you have Heather Jansch's driftwood horses as your profile picture.....

I saw some of her work at The Spanish Barn, Torre Abbey in Torquay in 2010 - it was stunning....

Have you been to one of her Open Days - I haven't - but wish I had...

Some photos I took at Torre Abbey.....Driftwood horses2, Torre Abbey.jpg

Driftwood horse1, Torre Abbey.jpg

Driftwood horse,head, Torre Abbey.jpg

Driftwood horse1, Torre Abbey.jpg

Driftwood horse,head, Torre Abbey.jpg

Driftwood horses2, Torre Abbey.jpg

I'm living with my parents on the north coast near Woolacombe until my OH and I head to oz next week. Hoping that the weather stays dry for my ride tomorrow, it's been pretty miserable here today. My mum actually sent me that picture and I really liked it, didn't know much about the artist until they did a piece on her on the one show a while back. Love her work though, amazing what she can do with driftwood

can anyone recommend stables for my 9 year daughter to start learning to ride at. I'm down on the Gold coast in Queensland, near Robina. Although I've ridden english I'd really like my daughter to learn natural horsemanship, which seems to becoming more popular.

thanks

Hi Cal2,

You could get in touch with these people who are Parelli based principles - they could possibly put you in touch with a trainer nearer to you....

www.quantumsavvy.com

Or this great looking Pony Club is not far away from Robina - I've been to this Pony Club & it is a very happy one......

http://www.mudgeerabaponyclub.com.au

There are a lot of good trainers in the 'Gold Coast Hinterland'....many who use natural horsemanship but are not affiliated with any particular famous coach....

If you buy a copy of 'Horse Deals' (or read it on-line) it has a directory of trainers.....

Good Luck !

Edited by Galahad
Added a bit

Hi again, just thinking, as an adult who wants to get back into riding, would it be better to book some lessons at a yard or just go on a few hacks (outrides as we used to call them in South Africa)? Am thinking it would be a nice way to meet people as well, but don't want to be the oldest one there having a lesson when I mostly know what I am doing, if you see what I mean! I have seen some yards do adult lessons but these are mostly in the week and I'm not sure will have any child care in place if I'm not working, so would have to go on weekends.

So sorry not to have got back to you Lozzachino....

I've been a bit preoccupied with my last few foreign student guests & now they've gone am selling all the bedroom furniture they were using as part of my own preparations to return to Queensland...

I wouldn't worry too much about being the oldest rider - of any level - I think you'll find that the overall age range is broader anyway....

In the Pony Clubs I attended there were always a smattering of 50-somethings & I was always one of the oldest anyway & it never bothered me....

If you can ride it's not an issue....

There was one guy who was 70-odd & went to all the sporting events on horses he trained himself & he was the fastest rider on four hooves !

Won heaps....

He was held in such high regard - nobody cared about his age....

If you are a bit embarrassed to be the oldest on a normal trail ride or arena lesson you could always try a different discipline - for instance, Western if you have been 'English' trained.....

Then you could say - in all honesty - that you were learning 'a new discipline' rather than 'getting back into it'.....

Or seek out an 'ARC' (Adult Riding Club) in your area....for information about adult lessons.....there's bound to be recommendations....

Truly, your age won't matter at all.....the horse won't care...

Go for it & have fun !

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere in DEEPEST DEVON......

Brilliant - brilliant - brilliant !!!!

But OH SO COLD !!!!!

The tickets said 'bring rugs' & woolly hats & they meant it !

The evening went from 6pm until around 10.30pm....by which time I couldn't feel my feet....

Began with a 'starter' with Kelly Marks - smaller & slimmer than I imagined - & a very funny (as in dry sense of humour) lady....

Then mainly Monty.....

How the man does it week in week out all over the world I just don't know....he puts 120% into each & every clinic....& he's no Spring Chicken.....

The photo illustrates clearly what happens when you give your camera to someone who's hands are shaking with cold - I've got 1 1/2 noses & Monty's got two sets (or more!) of very expensive American teeth !

He was laughing because I'd just referred to his previous clinic in Queensland - about being warmer there 'n all !

He clearly loved his time in Queensland & although I didn't get time to talk about it to him, I heard him saying later....

"I was in Caboolture 'n it was great....."

Anyway - STOP PRESS - I asked him if he's going to Queensland again & he said 'Next Year'......... You heard it first HERE !!!!

Monty & Me.jpg

Monty & Me.jpg