Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

I think them redundant public service sector employees losing there jobs are all part of the big picture in Queensland. Campbell newman has alot of pressure on him to fix what the labour party has done and the dedt they left. From my point of view in the long run he will benifit Queensland and pick there economy back up. Hes pulling the plug on a few things, that wasted money. He has helped with rising electricity costs saying they wont be supplying govermnet buildings if they increase prices. Queensland does need this. For a new comer anywhere can be hard to get established and settled and begin life. You have to start all over again and its hard. Australia has one of the best economy in the world to do this. Its on paper. Im established in Brisbane. I never find getting work hard. There is building going on everywhere when you travel around.Prices dropped but it wont stop there like its come to a halt here.

By saying trying to save the country im saying The uk is in big dedt and looking at options they never considered. Doesnt have options like Australia in other sectors so they are looking offshore for ways of bailing them out.

Like i said im not political, my biggest concern at the moment is trying to fit all my cheap shoes ive bought in sports direct into my suitcase and see how many bottles of ribena i can fit in my onboard back to "drink on the plane " . If only Australia had a sports direct, id be a happy man.

Try wiggle for all your sports needs. I've used them for my last couple of pairs of running shoes.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to compare cost of living. In uk my weekly wage was £400 take home a week. In oz take home per week is $1255 £803 for maint fitter job. Property is more expensive in oz but thats a secure assett and other outgoings aren t double uk. I have not had less than a 4% pay rise in oz. In uk i got at best 2%. I have spent a lot of hours working out projections and it is possible to buy a property in oz for 15 years then sell up and be mortgage free in uk.

Would yo mind if I asked where you worked as a maintenance fitter? We are currently looking for work for my husband. We have 2 years left on a PR 175 visa and he is a fitter. He has worked in packaging and now is making toilet rolls!!

He thinks we won't be able to afford living in Oz as all of the jobs advertised seem to be around the 60k AUS mark and if you use the 2.2 conversion that everyone is saying you should to be comfortable over there it doesn't really work out but your wage seems good.

Do you think there is much work out there in Brisbane for a 45 year old fitter with print experience? And would you take the chance and make the move :wink:

This is a very old thread so that poster may not be active any more. Best bet is to send them a private message.

Bear in mind that a lot of tradespeople work in the mines, so when you see high salaries quoted, they are often for jobs outside the cities. A lot of tradies FIFO (fly in, fly out) - which means they live away from home at the mine site on a roster

http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/mining/your-mining-lifestyle-guide/fifo-%28fly-in-fly-out%29.aspx

It's a tough life and of course it means being separated from family for long periods, but that's why they pay the big dollars.

If you're not seeing jobs advertised at a salary that's good enough, then don't assume they're hiding somewhere: they probably aren't!

This is a very old thread so that poster may not be active any more. Best bet is to send them a private message.

Bear in mind that a lot of tradespeople work in the mines, so when you see high salaries quoted, they are often for jobs outside the cities. A lot of tradies FIFO (fly in, fly out) - which means they live away from home at the mine site on a roster

http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/mining/your-mining-lifestyle-guide/fifo-%28fly-in-fly-out%29.aspx

It's a tough life and of course it means being separated from family for long periods, but that's why they pay the big dollars.

If you're not seeing jobs advertised at a salary that's good enough, then don't assume they're hiding somewhere: they probably aren't!

That's for that, didn't even notice the date!!