Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

Guest guest17301

Do you think Australia is overall more expensive than the UK for an average family? I don't dispute that Australia has a high cost of living but I can't say that it's any higher than the UK

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955
Do you think Australia is overall more expensive than the UK for an average family? I don't dispute that Australia has a high cost of living but I can't say that it's any higher than the UK

Overall yes I would say it now is. As long as you arent one of those who thinks the average Australian family earns 100k LOL.

recent surveys suggest Oz is one of the most expensive places to live, I think most of its cities come in the top 10, those folks planning their move over will convince themselves black is white as long as it fits nicely in with what they want to believe, naively backed up by a few fair weather migrators that have never lived there and no real intentions of taking the plunge.

Incidently I dont think the cost of living over there is going unnoticed, record numbers of brits are returning to the UK, almost a third that migrate come home to this dump for one reason or another.

Guest Guest76386
recent surveys suggest Oz is one of the most expensive places to live, I think most of its cities come in the top 10, those folks planning their move over will convince themselves black is white as long as it fits nicely in with what they want to believe, naively backed up by a few fair weather migrators that have never lived there and no real intentions of taking the plunge.

Incidently I dont think the cost of living over there is going unnoticed, record numbers of brits are returning to the UK, almost a third that migrate come home to this dump for one reason or another.

The main thing influencing these surveys I would say is property. The price of housing in Australia is expensive. Big building companies make to much profit when you take into account the cost of building materials and labour building a house. They should be cheaper. In saying that you get alot better home than you would here. Its relatively new , not 100 years old or so. There isnt a great deal of difference in anything else, maybe second hand cars. You have to take into account most will be earning more money in Australia than here.

I was under the impression from 2012 figures only 3 of of 10 brits that migrate to oz , return home in the long run.

Guest chris955
The average 2 income family would earn 100k ish though?

The median household income in Australia is $62,000, that is what the real average family earn.

Guest chris955
The main thing influencing these surveys I would say is property. The price of housing in Australia is expensive. Big building companies make to much profit when you take into account the cost of building materials and labour building a house. They should be cheaper. In saying that you get alot better home than you would here. Its relatively new , not 100 years old or so. There isnt a great deal of difference in anything else, maybe second hand cars. You have to take into account most will be earning more money in Australia than here.

I was under the impression from 2012 figures only 3 of of 10 brits that migrate to oz , return home in the long run.

We have noticed a big difference in a lot of things since being back, food especially is much cheaper but also lots of other things that all add up. As far as getting a 'better' house in Australia that hasn't been our experience at all, give me a 100 year old house any day against a new house in either country. There also doesnt seem to be any reason to believe that most will be earning more money in Australia, just read any forum and it seems some do, some dont and some about the same.

Guest Guest76386
We have noticed a big difference in a lot of things since being back, food especially is much cheaper but also lots of other things that all add up. As far as getting a 'better' house in Australia that hasn't been our experience at all, give me a 100 year old house any day against a new house in either country. There also doesnt seem to be any reason to believe that most will be earning more money in Australia, just read any forum and it seems some do, some dont and some about the same.

When I arrived , I took a job at Tescos working nights to get started here as tradesman where only earning 10 pound a hour, because of so many unemployed here. I do not see how you find a big difference in costs. Beef, fish , chicken and everyday household supplies like toilet paper, razors and cleaning products seemed cheaper in Australia that the prices on Tescos shelves. some things were clearly cheaper here, some things clearly cheaper in Oz. Alot depends on where you shop and buy you groceries I would surpose.

I dont believe much I read on forums, keeping in mind this is first forum ive ever joined awaiting my fiances visa..Im a NOT big fan of them, not much truth , just bad experiences end up on them. Seems to be a vent for some people. I would say majority of poms that move to oz are not part of a forum, lol. Your only hearing selected peoples opinions on here. Im yet to know a family member of friend that has come to Australia and not earnt alot more money there. Seems everybodies experiences are different. So sadly I wont be taking your advice and reading any forum.

Edited by Guest76386

Guest chris955

I cant say that survey is hard to disagree with IN OUR EXPERIENCE, we have found a great many things to be cheaper and some significantly cheaper here. It really is surprising just how many end up coming back to this dump isnt it ? LOL. Lots of people have a fantastic life in Australia and never look back, it's not like Australia is a horrible place to live, far from it BUT it is a very expensive place to live.

i was a tradie in uk and good money gas / plumbing. its a fallacy to believe its big big money here, look on seek, most dont give wages then tell you if you are lucky enough to get an interview, no big demands for gas plumbers here at moment, you cut your cloth accordingly, meals out are very expensive here now its just how it is, new builds on smaller plots now and quality is less than uk standards and thats from several aussie builders, but as i say, thats just how it is, accept it or take a more positive look at the uk lifestyle if your'e still back there. respect to those who come here try it and admit its not for them and go home

a whopping 34deg today perth 'phew'

Guest chris955
tbh My husband will earn a lot less than he did in Uk. I will earn slightly more.

That is the reality, as has been said it is a total fallacy to believe that most earn more in Australia. This NOT some kind of anti Australian propaganda it is just the way it is. The problem many people in the UK have is they think 'it must be better' and of course for some it will be because of their situation in the UK but dont go thinking it is just universally better for people, we had all the same bills and problems there that we have here.

Guest chris955
More Fi, the average wage in Aus is around the 65k mark, so the average 2 income family would be earning 135k. I'm with you on this one, we have less disposable income over here in the UK.

Yes indeed, the average man/women on the street earns 65k, of course they do.:) The Australian bureau of Statistics say that the median household income is close to 65k, COMBINED INCOME. That is what the average run of the mill family earns. It has nothing to do with what certain individuals earn against what they earned in the UK. Do you mind me asking what in $'s you earned when in Australia ?

Yes indeed, the average man/women on the street earns 65k, of course they do.:) The Australian bureau of Statistics say that the median household income is close to 65k, COMBINED INCOME. That is what the average run of the mill family earns. It has nothing to do with what certain individuals earn against what they earned in the UK. Do you mind me asking what in $'s you earned when in Australia ?

yes you are right it was $68k median and $75 mean aerage household for 2010 from here http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/1301.0~2012~Main%20Features~Household%20income,%20expenditure%20and%20wealth~193

My income in Aus was about 2.2 x what I was on and am on here in the uk.

Guest chris955
So how does your income stack up? What did you earn in Aus and what did you earn here in the UK? It would be interisting to see what others responses are as well.

Its a bit hard at the moment as I am self employed and havent even really started earning a 'proper' amount of money.

Guest guest17301

We earned combined around 40k uk pounds here, same jobs, over $120k.....wages are definitely better here, some stuff more expensive, some cheaper, overall similar but edge is with Au

Guest Guest76386

Fiance walking into adminstration/sales job earning 2.5x her british wage, Im a tradesman will be going straight into work earning close to 3x my trades wage here annually with continous work. Friends and family that have migrated from UK and Ireland to Oz, all earn alot better money than they did in the UK. Less hours worked as well. . Only downside for me is the more travel for my Job in oz , than England. Petrol cheaper tho in oz.