Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

Guest guest17301
I mostly drink whatever is on special in sainsburys. Carling, fosters gold, becks etc. I haven't had an extra dry since Australia day in the walkabout. I don't really need to be searching for all my Aussie favourites over here in the UK. I try and fit in where I can, and I don't believe in paying over the odds for anything just because it's from Aus. A bit like some people on here that want everything in Aus to be the same as how they had it in the UK.

Exactly, do we buy boddingtons and digestives and weetabix..no we live in Perth not Portsmouth....we buy local foods which are priced accordingly...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S'funny, Absolutely no one has included the prices of routine servicing.

Our car servicing comes out of our general CAR expenditure (we have an In n Out membership that includes 2 services, 2 MOTs, 2 oil changes, 2 air con services per year). Our domestic appliances are either covered by our 5 year house warranty (new build) or come out of the HOUSE expenditure. Boiler is also covered by house warranty until 2016 (won't worry about that until nearer the time!).

Can't remember who asked about pet food costs, but this all comes out of the weekly shop, and other pet expenses (e.g. hamster bedding [£7 bale of wood shavings from local saddlers lasts 12 mths +!], hamster / dog treats, grooming, vaccs, excess on insurance, etc.) comes out of PET expenditure. We also have dog insurance that covers us up to £2k for any lifetime illnesses / conditions. I know it doesn't sound like much but it's all we could afford (crossing fingers it's enough). Any other vet bills (e.g. accident / broken leg, etc.) are covered by an extra £2k total value.

For the record, we rarely go out (just for birthdays / anniversaries) -not just due to the cost but due to babysitting problems. We prefer to stay in, watch a movie, order a takeout (or cook a nice meal) and open a bottle of wine. Or have friends and family round for dinner parties and BBQs. I'm at home full-time and husband works from home nearly all the time, so heating is on permanently in winter (and also up until July this year! Plus have it on now - in Sep!). 1 child at school, doesn't participate in any after-school activities. 1 at pre-school, 1 at home full-time. When the girls are older we'll take them horse-riding and son can learn football for free at school. We ALWAYS go over-budget on shopping, mainly because I refuse to buy rubbish for my kids and fresh fruit / veg / salad is not cheap. I still have to do 'top-up' shops mid-week for bread / milk, etc.

Our weekends are spent doing free activities, e.g. parks, forest walks (20-40 mins' drive, depending where we go). Or sometimes we may splurge and hole up in Starbucks on a rainy afternoon (sneaking in sandwiches and snacks for the kids, getting them a frappuccino to share, whilst OH and myself have a coffee and cake each). Or visiting family. I take my kids to the local Sure Start centre and participate in all the local (free) classes and activities there (does anyone know if there is an equivalent of this in Australia...?).

By the way, we live in Northants (not sure how that compares to other areas in the UK, but I have a feeling it's one of the cheapest as house prices here are, I would say, below the national average).

On a side note, and not really related (so apologies), our life in the UK is far from miserable. We are fairly content, ticking along just nicely. Kind of on a plateau. Things p!ss us off, we have bad days, we can see the positives in Australia... But we also see the negatives, and we're not 'jumping ship' and hoping for a 'better life' or greener grass. Our initial plan is just to live abroad for 2-3 years, see what it's like living outside the UK (Europe is obviously closer but there is the language barrier for my husband). That way there's no pressure on us to 'succeed', and any worries / doubts about leaving family behind (don't have many close friends so that's not an issue, lol) are negated by the knowledge that it's only temporary and we'll be back before they know it, and will be able to say "been there, done that". If, once over there, we decide we love it and get the opportunity to stay longer, then we can cross that bridge and decide whether we're prepared to make it long-term. Just as if we hate it, we won't have 'failed' in returning as there's no pressure and, provided we stick it out at least a year to give it a proper go and make it worthwhile, we can return to the UK breathing sighs of relief!

Living abroad is something we've wanted for so long (we almost emigrated to Canada a few years ago but were doing it for the wrong reasons so backed out - well, that and other reasons), and if we don't do it now (whilst we're still below the age limit) we'll always be wondering "what if...?". We'd rather regret what we've done than what we haven't done.

Just wanted to put that incase people are looking at our living expenses and wondering why we're looking at Oz when it's so much more expensive!!

Itchy-Feet ;-)

Edited by ItchyFeet76

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Our car servicing comes out of our general CAR expenditure (we have an In n Out membership that includes 2 services, 2 MOTs, 2 oil changes, 2 air con services per year).

Just wanted to put that incase people are looking at our living expenses and wondering why we're looking at Oz when it's so much more expensive!!

Itchy-Feet ;-)

I think that maybe once in Oz you will look at a lease deal for your car.

I think that Oz isn't as expensive as some would have you believe, everything is relative !

Of course this is MBTTUK so god forbid I post anything positive, you'll just have to read my thoughts!

I think that maybe once in Oz you will look at a lease deal for your car.

I think that Oz isn't as expensive as some would have you believe, everything is relative !

Of course this is MBTTUK so god forbid I post anything positive, you'll just have to read my thoughts!

Out of interest..when are you going to oz? You obviously hate the UK

There are always a lot of threads re the cost of living in Australia and how expensive everything is, how about the UK now it seems to have gone through the roof. The cost of groceries, fuel, water, electricity etc has gone up to daft levels over the last few years and now some things like holidays, decent meat, going to the pub seem unaffordable to people on a tight budget. There was an article in the newspaper today saying that a lot of people are using equity in their homes and credit cards just to pay for essential's as there has been no increase in wages to match the increase in the cost of living, any thoughts?

The cost of living isn't really that bad. We can do our food shopping for 40 quid a week if we really had to, and Paul has a super economic diesel car. We thought the cost of petrol and food was more expensive in NZ so quite glad to be back here lol. Clothing is also cheaper here.

Edited by BritChickx

Guest chris955
Did anyone read the article I posted on food prices rising in UK?

Yes I read it, the people who did he survey would be appalled if they had looked at how food prices had had rocketed in Australia. My wife still picks up stuff in the supermarket here and comments on how cheap it is. I guess it iswhat you are used to, we are amazed at the cost here, amazed in a good way :biggrin:

Really? I can't afford to shop at the big supermarkets anymore. I can only shop at ALDI now and see ASDA, Tesco and the like a major luxury. We have also started a food bank in our area to support people who can't afford to eat.

A food bank, i have not heard that one before. How does it work?

I have chosen some examples

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=food%20bank&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CGoQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-19468697&ei=8_lnUIqIDsWa1AWP6YHwCg&usg=AFQjCNGHBrwZnWwDhU6-VL6oti4oM7lFnA

http://northliverpool.foodbank.org.uk/

For me, it's because I dropped from a nice income to being unemployed during the wait for a visa. (I'm freelancing so get bits of work here and there but not like I used to)

http://www.londonfoodbank.ca/ Here is an american one

Stacy - i thought petrol in nz was supposed to be cheaper than here, thats what the expats on BE were saying anyway. Food def more expensive than here - even milk and lamb lol

Shopping here is cheap for most things i suppose if yu go to asda or aldi, i can see how it would be expensive for a bigger family whos parents were both on minimum wage or near that. It's not enough and i dont mean increasing it by a measly 10p!

Can add another thing to our cost of living sheet - got a new car at the weekend. £200 a month, that includes some sort of breakdown thingy.

Stacy - i thought petrol in nz was supposed to be cheaper than here, thats what the expats on BE were saying anyway. Food def more expensive than here - even milk and lamb lol

Shopping here is cheap for most things i suppose if yu go to asda or aldi, i can see how it would be expensive for a bigger family whos parents were both on minimum wage or near that. It's not enough and i dont mean increasing it by a measly 10p!

Can add another thing to our cost of living sheet - got a new car at the weekend. £200 a month, that includes some sort of breakdown thingy.

Not cheaper at the current exchange rate. We guessed it was more expensive because it costs a lot to import it.

Guest chris955
Really? I can't afford to shop at the big supermarkets anymore. I can only shop at ALDI now and see ASDA, Tesco and the like a major luxury. We have also started a food bank in our area to support people who can't afford to eat.

I cant imagine considering Asda as a luxury, we are amazed at the cost of food here and the incredible variety. Unfortunately foodbanks are becoming more and more common in Australia as many are finding it hard to make ends meet.

http://www.foodbanks.org.au

Guest chris955
Off topic I know but - don't they offer this type of service to people in the UK?

I assume the basic service is the same in any foodbank anywhere in the world.

I cant imagine considering Asda as a luxury, we are amazed at the cost of food here and the incredible variety. Unfortunately foodbanks are becoming more and more common in Australia as many are finding it hard to make ends meet.

www.foodbanks.org.au

I have a food budget (this includes toiletries, cleaning etc) of £65 a week so ASDA is way too expensive to feed 3 adults and an 8 year old boy.

I read the posts, and it a running thread thru that those in the uk still seem not to accept our assumption that oz is at present expensive, , wa especially is expensive very expensive and i guess until you move here its impossible to see yourself, notjust individual costs of beer etc bu overall costs, the variety of foodstuff in places like asda waitrose etc far exceed any supermarkets here in perth,

justifying a move here based on assumption that uk is expensive so will be ready for oz i think some will find a wake up call when they move here

Guest chris955
I read the posts, and it a running thread thru that those in the uk still seem not to accept our assumption that oz is at present expensive, , wa especially is expensive very expensive and i guess until you move here its impossible to see yourself, notjust individual costs of beer etc bu overall costs, the variety of foodstuff in places like asda waitrose etc far exceed any supermarkets here in perth,

justifying a move here based on assumption that uk is expensive so will be ready for oz i think some will find a wake up call when they move here

Spot on, Oz IS expensive, that is a fact. I cant believe how many people still here in the UK try to convince themselves that it cant be more expensive than here. Others will tell us it is only because of the exchange rate which is bizarre as most people are spending money they earn in each country. The simple fact is that Australia is now an expensive country to live in.