jamesnparry

What vaccinations before starting school?

Hi all

Our 2 girls are 6 and 4. They are up to date with all UK vaccinations. Am I right that before starting school they will need a Hep B vaccine? Or are there others as well. We are heading to Qld (Sunshine Coast) at the end of October. Thank you in advance.:smile:

RGN (43) OH (47) 2 daughters (6 & 4):hug: AHPRA applied Sept. '11 & granted Jan. '12. Job offer June '12...e457 lodged 23 aug.'12..medical 28 aug.'12.. visa granted 6 Sept.'12!.. Arrived in Oz 4 Nov 2012.....!

Hi all

Our 2 girls are 6 and 4. They are up to date with all UK vaccinations. Am I right that before starting school they will need a Hep B vaccine? Or are there others as well. We are heading to Qld (Sunshine Coast) at the end of October. Thank you in advance.:smile:

Australian immunisation schedule. You attend your GP and ask for the others you need. You will need a certificate to say you are vaccinated for school, or that you are a conscientious objector. I think Medicare give you these. I checked the school enrolement policy (NSW) so it may differ in QLD schools. :biggrin:

(RSMS 187) RCB 26.09.2013, Nomination 14.10.2013, Visa re-lodged 27.10.2013 non DRC. Child and Family Health nurse. Low risk country. Nomination and Visa both granted 03.12.2013. :jiggy:

I knew somebody lovely would give me the answer. I love PIO! Thank you..

RGN (43) OH (47) 2 daughters (6 & 4):hug: AHPRA applied Sept. '11 & granted Jan. '12. Job offer June '12...e457 lodged 23 aug.'12..medical 28 aug.'12.. visa granted 6 Sept.'12!.. Arrived in Oz 4 Nov 2012.....!

They are really good regarding vaccines in Australia. It is normally only the Hep B and the Varicella that they have in addition to the UK ones, but they always keep you up to date with what you need.

Arrived Adelaide 2009, returned to UK 2011

These innocluations are also done free in either a Bulk Billing practice or an Innoculation centre, so dont be paying a Dr to do them..

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

My eldest 2 have finished a whole term at school and it's only because I'm sorting the school entry for my 3rd and kinder entry for my 4th, that I've looked into vaccs. They're having Hep B - need 3 shots each a month apart (they had varicella vaccs in Dubai).

But there was no problem for them to start school without the relevant certificate - maybe cos starting half way through the year and not into Prep?

My eldest 2 have finished a whole term at school and it's only because I'm sorting the school entry for my 3rd and kinder entry for my 4th, that I've looked into vaccs. They're having Hep B - need 3 shots each a month apart (they had varicella vaccs in Dubai).

But there was no problem for them to start school without the relevant certificate - maybe cos starting half way through the year and not into Prep?

Good to know! My 2 boys have had chicken pox so don't need varicella. They do need Hep B though so will arrange that when we get there, I wonder though if it will be me giving it, given the job/ I am going to...:err:

(RSMS 187) RCB 26.09.2013, Nomination 14.10.2013, Visa re-lodged 27.10.2013 non DRC. Child and Family Health nurse. Low risk country. Nomination and Visa both granted 03.12.2013. :jiggy:

4 children!:notworthy:

If they need 3 seperate shots of Hep B (they've both had chicken pox so no need for varicella) should I wait and get all three done by the same clinic in oz rather than getting our gp here to give first? Would make more sense. But would they have to have the first dose before they can start school? Hoping my 6 year old can tag onto the end of term. We arrive on 5th Nov.

4 children!:notworthy:

If they need 3 seperate shots of Hep B (they've both had chicken pox so no need for varicella) should I wait and get all three done by the same clinic in oz rather than getting our gp here to give first? Would make more sense. But would they have to have the first dose before they can start school? Hoping my 6 year old can tag onto the end of term. We arrive on 5th Nov.

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-hepatitisb

QLD also run a catch up for children in school/year 8 so not all children may not be vaccinated by then.

It seems to me that if conscientious objectors can send their kids to school without vaccinations then it should mean you can send them with their first and get it as per the schedule without issue. I think but don't know if this is the case but it seems sensible.