Anyone suffer from SAD?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't like the rain at all. Cold is ok as long as it is dry.

The rain is no good for getting on my skates. I don't skate when its wet as I have broken way too many bones in the past. :frown:

I just find I am in a better mood when the sun is around. So glad I am done with UK winters for the moment.

Millie x

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so fed up with the british weather this year - since we decided we want to move to Oz that is the only place I want to be right now and it can't come round quick enough. I feel like I suffer with the SAD condition.

Was frozen on Saturday doing car boot to get rid of all our stuff - yesterday stood in the pouring rain with gloves and scarf on watching my mother in law doing race for life and then got drenched and frozen again this morning doing the school run!!!! I so do not want to be in this country now!!!!!! Can't wait for our house to go so we can apply for visa - then hopefully before xmas we will be hot in Oz :biggrin:

My uncle (Aussie) lives in the UK with his British wife and he has to sit under a special lamp for a few hours a week. He says it is driving him nuts but it is better than feeling sick and miserable.

They really work. The "wake you up" lights work well too - the proper ones, they have some special bulb in them or something

I don't suffer from this but I put some of that down to always being outside for at least 2 hours a day in all seasons* - it's lack of daylight that causes the problems as well I think. When I lived in Scandinavia they were unsurprisingly well attuned to the effects of SAD - surprises me sometimes in the UK press that they still debate whether or not it's a "real" condition. Whether it's wholly physiological and down to glands and hormones, or psychological and down to how you feel (probably a combination of the two) I don't know, but the effects are most definitely real. My wife suffered I think, when we were at home, although not so badly that we ever really did anything about it. She's markedly happier here, that's for sure

*I think that tunes you into the turning of the seasons much more too, and I think time seems to go a bit slower as one week doesn't just blend into the next one without noticing time passing, but that's another thread

They really work. The "wake you up" lights work well too - the proper ones, they have some special bulb in them or something

I don't suffer from this but I put some of that down to always being outside for at least 2 hours a day in all seasons* - it's lack of daylight that causes the problems as well I think. When I lived in Scandinavia they were unsurprisingly well attuned to the effects of SAD - surprises me sometimes in the UK press that they still debate whether or not it's a "real" condition. Whether it's wholly physiological and down to glands and hormones, or psychological and down to how you feel (probably a combination of the two) I don't know, but the effects are most definitely real. My wife suffered I think, when we were at home, although not so badly that we ever really did anything about it. She's markedly happier here, that's for sure

*I think that tunes you into the turning of the seasons much more too, and I think time seems to go a bit slower as one week doesn't just blend into the next one without noticing time passing, but that's another thread

He says the lamp makes a real difference. He was very skeptical before he tried it and nobody was more surprised than him that it actually worked.

The weathers turning here in the UK, the central heating is on full blast it doesn't seen so long since we switched it off, it's been really cold in the mornings, already had ice on the window screen, it's been raining and cloudy and we are facing mostly this sort of weather for the next 7 to 8 months, with winter not far away as well, I was just wondering if anyone suffers from SAD or feel some sort of downer over the weather? Also did it have any bearing on why you emigrated? And if it did and you are there, just how has your life and outlook changed?

I did suffer from SAD when I was living in London. Now that I'm living in Perth I suffer from HAPPY.

It would be great if we had a real summer though to enjoy the late nights, it's great sitting out late when the weathers warm, but just how many times are we able to do this?

I fully agree. Three months of guaranteed warm weather would make the UK durabile. WE forget living in OZ at times where it's the other way round,looking in anticipation for cooler weather.

It's dropped to near zero here in Yorkshire at night the last couple of days, it's throwing it down again today, I think they are saying there's a chance of floods up and down the country.

I think perhaps it's Yorkshire and the north in general. My first ever visit there for a week in the summer of 2010 saw pretty foul weather. If that was summer then I can see why you find the OZ weather so attractive.

In london the weather for the thre months I lived there the same year the weather was generally fine.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
aye me , a suffer fae it a the time:mad:

I hate the long winters TBH but I am a very upbeat person, but the last couple of days have been horrible and cold and the thought that the next hot sunny weather could be 7 or 8 months away just made me feel a bit SAD today, it doesn't usually, I normally just accept it has it is. I will have to look at booking some winter sunshine again to the Canaries, it's better than nothing, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
aye me inaw, am at sad the noo the teers are rolling doon ma chuby cheeks, :cry:

Your an upbeat guy stevie as well, we just have to shrug it hoff mate, are you any nearer to emigrating to the land of sunshine?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
nah pal , nae y near it:mad: health problems again in oor family

sorry to hear that mate, how long does your visa last, we have until the end of 2014.

Guest paulwbafc

I suffered bad in uk with SAD and iy used to bring out my excema in winter and also summer in uk i had hay fever real bad. Been in brisbane 4 years now. Not had SAD at all and only very little excema to the point i don t need to treat it. Virtually gone. Also hay fever nothing like in uk my nose used to run like a tap without tablets. In oz i have very mild hay fever i just occasionally sneeze but no runny nose. But its hardly hay fever now. Australia brisbane has massive health benefit for me.

I suffered bad in uk with SAD and iy used to bring out my excema in winter and also summer in uk i had hay fever real bad. Been in brisbane 4 years now. Not had SAD at all and only very little excema to the point i don t need to treat it. Virtually gone. Also hay fever nothing like in uk my nose used to run like a tap without tablets. In oz i have very mild hay fever i just occasionally sneeze but no runny nose. But its hardly hay fever now. Australia brisbane has massive health benefit for me.

For me it's the opposite, ad cold after cold after cold in oz as did everyone I knew, not had one since I have back home.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

thats the ticket, I am sure living in a warmer climate will improve my health, I always feel healthier when we have those odd days of nice hot sunny weather in the UK, it's as though someone switches a light on and ......... You have a spring in your step, doesn't last long though, lol

The weathers turning here in the UK, the central heating is on full blast it doesn't seen so long since we switched it off, it's been really cold in the mornings, already had ice on the window screen, it's been raining and cloudy and we are facing mostly this sort of weather for the next 7 to 8 months, with winter not far away as well, I was just wondering if anyone suffers from SAD or feel some sort of downer over the weather? Also did it have any bearing on why you emigrated? And if it did and you are there, just how has your life and outlook changed?

Yep I suffer from SAD, its very much "stay in bed" if the weather is poor, good side though is sleep better..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yep I suffer from SAD, its very much "stay in bed" if the weather is poor, good side though is sleep better..

You will be in bed a lot then, lol