Anyone suffer from SAD?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The weathers turning here in the UK, the central heating is on full blast it doesn't seen so long since we switched it off, it's been really cold in the mornings, already had ice on the window screen, it's been raining and cloudy and we are facing mostly this sort of weather for the next 7 to 8 months, with winter not far away as well, I was just wondering if anyone suffers from SAD or feel some sort of downer over the weather? Also did it have any bearing on why you emigrated? And if it did and you are there, just how has your life and outlook changed?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet there are loads of people with questions on this forum over the next few months who are looking into the emigration process

Thing is you dont get the light nights in Oz which is great in summer

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I bet there are loads of people with questions on this forum over the next few months who are looking into the emigration process

Thing is you dont get the light nights in Oz which is great in summer

It would be great if we had a real summer though to enjoy the late nights, it's great sitting out late when the weathers warm, but just how many times are we able to do this?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Mate, You need to bring your plans forward a year and get on a plane !

Ice !?!? Where the hell are you ??

Hate the change too so really counting the days now and wanting to exchange contracts on our house sale TODAY !!! :arghh:

My son is doing his A leveles mate and the jobs we are after come available in early 2014. It's dropped cold here buddy in Sunnyless Yorkshire.

Im not sure if i Genuinely suffer from SAD but i tell people i do !! Who wants to get out of bed in the morning when its freezing?? I have so much more energy and zest for life in the sunshine.. I lived in Florida for 12yrs and been back in UK for 3 yrs next month i feel like i have aged, stopped outdoor activities and just feel yuk dont have any motivation in the cold!! Just waiting on getting the visa now for OZ meds and pccs done hopefully be back in the sunshine by New year..

My son is doing his A leveles mate and the jobs we are after come available in early 2014. It's dropped cold here buddy in Sunnyless Yorkshire.

Ah yes I remember you saying now :confused:

Yep, light nights are all well and good but I'd love to sit out late and drink a beer regardless of whether it's dark or not, just not very likely here !

How can you have the heating on already? Its not that cold. I've just put a sweater on as an extra layer is all. I refuse to turn the heating on till we really need it. Otherwise you just get too used to it and then when it gets really cold you don't appreciate the benefits so much. End up cranking it up more and having a stuffy hot house.

I don't get the whole wear a tee shirt indoors but have the heating on full lark. Seriously, I layer up and turn the heating down some and do a little bit to help the bills and the environment.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's dropped to near zero here in Yorkshire at night the last couple of days, it's throwing it down again today, I think they are saying there's a chance of floods up and down the country.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Chardy

Sounds like you have an drinking problem, not SAD hehe

Yes its a bit crap having 2 nights a year sat out

2 nights sat out was last year mate, lol. TBH this year has been a bit better, not great we had a couple of weeks or so of hot sunny weather, it was so great when it warmed up, it's a different life, it can only make you think, this is what it will be like for weeks and months on end in Australia.

Chardy

Sounds like you have an drinking problem, not SAD hehe

Yes its a bit crap having 2 nights a year sat out

Hmmm maybe, the beer prices in Oz will soon sort that though !:wink:

Heating not on in ours either although it's all automated so I have to go round and check the underfloor heating manifold and the rads upstairs ......................the whole house heat recovery system is doing a fine job of warming nice fresh air coming in !

Can't wait to have a nice poorly insulated unheated Aussie house in the winter !

I just look at that picture and thank my lucky stars I'm in Melbourne. Maybe not the best place for hot Aussie weather, but a vast improvement on England. Yep, it makes all the difference to us. The summers are so lovely, just to feel that all over warm feeling - worth all the upheaval in my opinion.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Not much better on the "sunny" South coast either....................hope you like the bucket of Jeyes fluid out there too - a sign we are getting there at last !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16778[/ATTACH]

Looks just like that outside our house, the front window is covered in rain, it's lashing it down and it's bloody cold.

As already mentioned by someone else - i dont know if i genuinely have it but i definitely feel like I do. Always end up feeling a bit down in winter especially when its a harsh one, luckily last winter was actually ok - quite mild. Sunshine and warmth definitely makes me feel better.

Snifter your right - we probably shouldnt have the heating on as much! daves mum has it blasted at the slightest bit of cold which annoys me! Its definitely getting chilly though, as hoff says - its dropped to around 0oc here recently. I bought two pairs of gloves the other day and im going to get my proper winter coat next week! :laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
As already mentioned by someone else - i dont know if i genuinely have it but i definitely feel like I do. Always end up feeling a bit down in winter especially when its a harsh one, luckily last winter was actually ok - quite mild. Sunshine and warmth definitely makes me feel better.

Snifter your right - we probably shouldnt have the heating on as much! daves mum has it blasted at the slightest bit of cold which annoys me! Its definitely getting chilly though, as hoff says - its dropped to around 0oc here recently. I bought two pairs of gloves the other day and im going to get my proper winter coat next week! :laugh:

Dont worry Stacey it's forecast some nice hot sunny weather at the end of May and the beginning of June next year, lol

Guest The Pom Queen
Not much better on the "sunny" South coast either....................hope you like the bucket of Jeyes fluid out there too - a sign we are getting there at last !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16778[/ATTACH]

Please send some up here, we are desperate for some rain.

Can't wait to have a nice poorly insulated unheated Aussie house in the winter !

We're building our own house so we don't have to suffer with this again next year. Extra insulation, UPVc double glazing and underfloor heating all on the list of essentials.

My OH used to suffer from SAD in the UK. He had one of those lights you can get that simulate daylight, which seemed to help a bit. Now we are here he is feeling much better. Although it starts getting dark at six thirty at the moment it is far brighter during the day. Even when it's cloudy.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We're building our own house so we don't have to suffer with this again next year. Extra insulation, UPVc double glazing and underfloor heating all on the list of essentials.

My OH used to suffer from SAD in the UK. He had one of those lights you can get that simulate daylight, which seemed to help a bit. Now we are here he is feeling much better. Although it starts getting dark at six thirty at the moment it is far brighter during the day. Even when it's cloudy.

I have heard about those lights, but I prefer to drink whisky, it does help, it blots out the pain, lol :arghh::laugh:

Dont worry Stacey it's forecast some nice hot sunny weather at the end of May and the beginning of June next year, lol

It was actually really nice up Aberdeen and nearby this weekend and then on friday at the Borders too. Todays not been as bad as forecasted either, unless its to come later on.

Still got my gloves and scarf ready this week though just incase lol

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It horrifies me thinking of UK winters, watching glum people commuting to work in the morning. It's been a long time since I experienced a cold winter, but now finding the 45 degree summers here in the Middle East so hot, very much hope we get into Oz.

Best of luck mate.