Anyone who has returned got any urge to return to oz? even for a holiday.

Perthbum

I might go back for a while for a change of scenery if I do get into the fire service, but I cannot ever see myself living there permanent as my quality all round life is far better in the UK.

Anyone got the urge to return permanent or for a holiday?

Why would you want to go back there when you are always complaining how bad it was ???

I might go back for a while for a change of scenery if I do get into the fire service, but I cannot ever see myself living there permanent as my quality all round life is far better in the UK.

Hand on heart pb ......today i would for a holiday at least .....its 11c and rain ing .....i have been playing golf ......badly as usual

To live...... with the cost of living in oz now .....no chance .

we will, as a family have had 5 holidays this year ....when we go to devon in oct .

Someone asked my good wife ,the question about going back to oz , in the pub the other night .......NO ......it was great at the time .....but she is settled here now

my mates , ordinary lads , have at least 3 holidays a year , and play golf twice a week at least .......WHY GIVE ALL THAT UP ......they have a great life . but dont realise it

p.s we are ordinary brummies ......not ruperts from oxford .

Yes I have. Been back 7 months now and still waiting for the defining moment that tells me it was the right thing to do.

We returned to the UK in 2007. Still got that itch to go back to Oz, have been a couple of times since (once to validate our new 163 visa).

So we have a visa all be it a provisional business one that requires work to turn it into PR and a limit to get out there and sort it.

What is stopping us from going back:

Kids 21 and 19 both at UK unis and not wanting to come - not sure if we can bear to leave them.

Getting too old to start over with a business and want an easier life/semi-retirement soon. I am 50.

Exchange rate - savings and investments built up in UK to support retirement - won't go as far after exchanging to $$$

Cost of living in Oz especially if essentially living off UK assets

Cheap travel to Europe etc from Uk

Other family to leave in Uk

Friends - we have good friends here and in Oz so not an issue really.

What is drawing us back:

Weather! cliche I know but we live in a very damp Lancashire mill town and miss the Dry SA weather. If we move to a warmer climate in the UK we will have no friends or family close, in SA we have friends.

Never gave it enough of a go before, want to stay a few years to get citizenship maybe.

Offers of work and possibly sponsorship but not sure if want to be an employee again after running our own show for so long.

A new challenge to spur us on now kids have essentially left home

I know I contradict myself but we are really torn, we are not unhappy in the UK - I love the town we live in and walking in the countryside, our lifestyle here is good but............

Would go in a heartbeat if we were younger and had more years of Oz earnings to support our retirement and kids would join us.

I would love to return to Oz in the future, not sure if I could live there again (well in Adelaide anyway) but I would certainly go back for holidays. I would like to show my children where we used to live as I am sure they will soon forget about their time in Oz which is quite sad.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
PR doesn't run out, it stands for Permanent Residency.

That is incorrect.

"[h=1]Australian permanent resident[/h]After the initial visa expires, if the holder wishes to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident, they must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV).[2] However those who live for too long outside Australia may lose their permanent resident status."