At breaking point after just a month on the 475 Visa in WA :(

Maginca

Best of luck OP whatever happens don't give up you've spent a lot of money getting here and I hope you can make it work x

It's ok to have a bit of 'moan' to be in your position it must be really difficult and soul destroying when u can't find work esp on 457 terms-this is the reason my oh and I went for 176 as we simply didnt want to risk this.

Come on guys the least we can do is give them some guidance and support-lets do it the aussie way and show some mateship - maybe they are spending too much on a rental and maybe they need to get out of Mandurah I'm sure they'd appreciate the advice.

Chin up x

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, actually he's applied for everything from labourer to TA, to working in a bloody pig farm and a scrap yard just to get us by. There are hundreds of applicants per job. The ones he has spoken to for a TA have clearly told him they just want a 17-22 year old, not to mention someone with Ozzy experience. Or they're miles away and out of our region.

It's absolutely NOTHING to do with pride or greed or ignorance. He has cold called in on businesses here. Given resumes to agents. Trawled the net. Asked in pubs. So I do think you are being a little judgemental here saying he thinks he's too good to be a TA.

He went for a job interview today that was offering $16 an hour in a scrap yard which was 1.5 hours away for a part time hours which wouldn't even cover fuel after tax. He got turned down anyway as they wanted a local school leaver!

Perhaps one day (when you've finished making your millions in Oz backpacking) things will change for you and you'll know how it feels? I hope not though.

Ok, so I came on here whilst having a moment, worried about the future and feeling quite negative. I know something will come up, and we will stay here.

I actually like Mandurah. It's just the bulk of the work isn't within our zone.

Our holiday accommodation is expensive, as we had to book it very last minute and it was all we could get at the time (as we'd been let down at the last minute on the cheaper one) but we've now got a perm rental for a very decent price.

My original moan on here was about the visa restrictions!

I like Oz, and am glad we're here. And here we will stay!

Maginca,

You've been given loads of wonderful advise so far, someone has even offered to give you your first grooming job. Why are you ignoring all those and focusing on a negative vile person instead?

Maginca - Totally understand your situation, but you have had some great advice on here and you seem one very determined lady in making it work for you, so it will. Like the sound of the dog grooming thing... never know it could take off for you. Good Luck to your husband as I am sure he will get something eventually - for some reason employers seem to have an issue with new migrants and you certainly aren't alone in having this issue. Finally, just ignore the comments from the backpacking upstart - he is obviously just one of those "know-it-all" little sh*ts that populate the world all over and doesn't deserve to be given any attention. Life for a backpacker in Perth doing casual work is vastly different from a migrant family trying desparately to find work in the regional area they have to live. Hopefully the backpacker will learn some humility and compassion during his travelling. Sending positive vibes your way....

We dont know what has happened.Maybe OP posted a PM to the ones offering to help. Personally i wouldnt post a PM to somebody who had slagged me off and told me i was lying. Fact is for the OP like me there are plenty of jobs advertising on seek etc, i should know im applying for load a day but after 2 months zilch. Verystormy and dillusionded scott are lovley people for posting as i know each has had their share of diffulculties while here but both are willing to help. Maybe lets not judge the OP because we dont know whats going on in the background and we dont know her, all we know is here is a family trying to get by and sucseed

I think it does serve as a timely reminder to really read and understand the terms if your visa and the restrictions on your trade reference licencing. Personally I would never have emigrated without a full perminant visa especially with children. There are however many that still risk it.One positive though for the OP. You have secured a long term rental which I know others that are trying and finding impossible even on PR in Mandurah at the moment and they all have jobs!

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who's posted positive feedback, it's been a real help reading through the pages.

We're no closer today than we were yesterday to safety, but are pushing on.

I've vented on here because I've not told any friends or family in the UK how much we're struggling, and haven't spoken to anyone "back home" for a couple of weeks so that I don't worry them, so maybe having a rant on here helped me!

I'd do anything to have been able to push my CRAP agent to sort out the PR for us, but like I said she wanted her 99.9% success rate. She gave Rob 5 years on paper as an electrician, even though he had proof of 8+ years which would have got us a PR. We asked and asked but she kept saying it was too risky and we may be refused, and after spending the best part of £8000 on agents fees, DIAC fees, medicals and Vetassess bills and with a week to go til Rob hit 40 we went with it and accepted the 475.

Of course we researched it, but no amount of research could realistically prepare us for real life here (workwise). There are tons of jobs on Seek, Indeed, Gumtree etc, so it looked very promising as a TA or entry job from the UK.

Anyway, like I said, we are here, we will stay here and things WILL change!

Thanks again for the messages, most of them cheered me up immensely!

Hello!!!

We've been here for a month now (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter) and I'd never have imagined we'd be this unhappy.

We came on a 475 Regional State Sponsored Visa and are living in Mandurah. This regional sponsorship is awful. All the jobs are not within our regional areas, some literally a stones throw from our areas (Rockingham/Fremantle) but not acceptable by the government here for our strict visas. Mandurah is beautiful, but there's no work here. Yes, yes, I know that's what the regional sponsored visa is about, but even after a years research we couldn't have prepared for the lack of work! Damn my agent for not pushing for a 176 when we asked her to.

My husband is a sparks and I've owned a grooming salon for years in the UK but have loads of experience in other careers and can turn my hand to most jobs. However, we have so far spent approximately 9 hours a day applying for jobs, cold calling jobs, emailing companies, registering with agencies, walking the streets looking for "Hiring" signs..... and NOTHING!

My husband has begun expensive training to do all the tickets required to get a job, such as working at heights, confined spaces, EWP, forklift truck etc at a HUGE cost just so he can work on a site somewhere, but the companies want actual Ozzy experience and they're not in our postcode area. Can't get his Grade A licence until he has his provisional one through then goes to college at huge expense. He even applied to work on a pig farm and a 17 year old's job as a farriers assistant!

I have had to pay for a course just to serve drinks in a bar, and STILL can't get a job despite going into every bar, restaurant and agency with my resume!

I actually think we were better off in the UK. We owned a house outright, and had great jobs and support.

I feel lonelier than ever here, and just cry all night after a day of utter rejection.

I know that loads of you readers will shoot me down and say I'm lucky to have got here, but I'm sorry that's not how t feels right now.

We won't/can't go home as we've invested everything we own into this, but I'm seriously at breaking point. :(

Hi, sorry to read your post....we are in secret harbour....we too are here on 457 visas but we were lucky to transfer with hubby's job...we have been here since January....and yes it's been a roller coaster.....we have two girls 8 and 6....If you want to chat then I will lend an ear...or have a good cry...

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who's posted positive feedback, it's been a real help reading through the pages.

We're no closer today than we were yesterday to safety, but are pushing on.

I've vented on here because I've not told any friends or family in the UK how much we're struggling, and haven't spoken to anyone "back home" for a couple of weeks so that I don't worry them, so maybe having a rant on here helped me!

I'd do anything to have been able to push my CRAP agent to sort out the PR for us, but like I said she wanted her 99.9% success rate. She gave Rob 5 years on paper as an electrician, even though he had proof of 8+ years which would have got us a PR. We asked and asked but she kept saying it was too risky and we may be refused, and after spending the best part of £8000 on agents fees, DIAC fees, medicals and Vetassess bills and with a week to go til Rob hit 40 we went with it and accepted the 475.

Of course we researched it, but no amount of research could realistically prepare us for real life here (workwise). There are tons of jobs on Seek, Indeed, Gumtree etc, so it looked very promising as a TA or entry job from the UK.

Anyway, like I said, we are here, we will stay here and things WILL change!

Thanks again for the messages, most of them cheered me up immensely!

Have you emailed Cat yet? Waiting to hear from you :-)

In a lot of areas of Perth and the surrounds the job situation is dire. Ive been here 8 weeks now and applying for loads of jobs everyday but no luck. Thankfully my OH does have a job but we are still living hand to mouth. Before leaving the UK, i spent the past 11 years in hospital admin for the NHS, because im here on my OH's 457 visa i cant get a similar job in any of the hospitals because you have to be citizen or PR. Like you ive done lots of other work, ie credit control, bar work, newspaper production but i cant seem to get anybody to give me a break. I found the agengys to be awful, been to them all, never heard anything back even though they are advertising jobs that i could do no probs and are waiting to be filled urgently??

I have wondered if its an age thing (for me, not you). I really hope you get something soon, its not a nice situation to be in and takes the shine off the move a bit. Talking to over people in the trades ie plumbers, sparkies etc its a lot tougher to get work than you think. I know someone that were down to their last dollar and getting shipping quotes to head back after 6 months when he at last got work.

I'm glad it's not just us. I did get offered a job feeding horses 25 kilometres away for a ridiculous $10 an hour!! My child care would have been £20+ per hour, so go figure!

Where is The Ropey HOFF convincing everyone that Perth has so low unemployment rate, plenty of jobs? Where are these jobs?

There is no jobs in Australia or are below minimum wage

I wasted couple of years in Australia, sending hundreds of CVs in "low" Australian unemployment, hardly found part-time jobs...and saw many migrants like me applying for jobs, without any success. Finally I packed up my belongings, and the happiest moment was at Heathrow when I moved back to normality where I don't listen to "your overseas experience is just ..overseas experience"

Guest paulwbafc

I have been in brisbane 4 years as a fitter And here there is work for sparkys. Where i work australia country choice we have been after electricians for 18 months. Really hard finding decent electricians here. I know a number of sparks moving from job to job even walking out on work because it only takes them a week to find alternative work. I think your hubby will be fine once he has the tickets it s a legal side thats stuffing him up. Once he has the tickets the work will come. Lot of firms especially here are desparate.

Guest turners gang

This is only a thought, but couldnt you apply to a company for 457 sponsorship ? I'm not sure if thats a road you would be intersted in, but if you continually keep hitting brick walls it could be an option or at least allow you guys to get work/money. I appreciate that this would probably undo all your hard work/money that you have put in to your present visa, but that visa will prove worthless in the long run if you end up having to head home.

Anyway, its just a thought. I hope you guys get yourselves sorted Good Luck !!

Where is The Ropey HOFF convincing everyone that Perth has so low unemployment rate, plenty of jobs? Where are these jobs?

I wasted couple of years in Australia, sending hundreds of CVs in "low" Australian unemployment, hardly found part-time jobs...and saw many migrants like me applying for jobs, without any success. Finally I packed up my belongings, and the happiest moment was at Heathrow when I moved back to normality where I don't listen to "your overseas experience is just ..overseas experience"

There are plenty of jobs for skilled people with the appropriate paperwork. Fact.

There are plenty of jobs for skilled people with the appropriate paperwork. Fact.

I'll freely admit I have no experience/knowledge of the predicament the OP finds themselves in. But I think there is an important lesson in there for other potential migrants coming out on regional visa's where the main breadwinner is a tradie requiring loads of retraining (TAFE courses costing loads of money) in order to get a Grade A licence.

I was in the pub last night with a couple of newly arrived poms in Geelong. The husband is a sparky, has had to jump through the same hoops, no one is interested until you have a Grade A licence, despite the fact that he has 20+ years experience in the UK. They've been here 4 months, watching their savings dwindle away, just seems a crazy situation to me.

I think that its wrong that people are not told that this will be the case by their agents. I know we were told that we might have to do it, as it was we didnt with my OH's trade but we were forwarned, I have many friends who are sparkys and plumbers who had to do the same, I also have a friend in Cairns who wasnt told, and they ended up returning to the UK when their funds were gone.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

OH is in air con....he was lucky found 2 companies who would take him on without all the relevant certs as long as he was doing it the course...he wasn't on a low wage either...

I do find it a bit of an insult to all those that have many years experience and who quite often know more than the Aussie trained guys speak for nothing.

What trade or job did you come over as Jinn? My sons a sparkie, qualified here is only 23 and changed jobs about 3 times in 2 years, each one for a step up the salary scale and to gain more experience. He wanted to get a FIFO position so had to work out what he needed to get one. Went to an agency, chatted with the consultant and got a few tips on what he might need. He paid for a couple of courses himself, not cheap but you can claim for training back on the tax rebate.

He's landed himself a 8 x 6 FIFO job now and likes it. He's on more money than me already. It's not easy and shouldn't be, like most things in life that are worth getting there are heaps of people after it, so there's going to be a lot of competition.

Pity you felt you wasted a couple of years when you could have done a few courses and maybe found some full time work that suited.

Hello there, I arrived from London last December and am starting to settle but it takes time and lots of patience. We have moved to a small town in the Southern Highlands in NSW so it's not at all comparable to living in a huge city like London. You just have to take one day at a time. I too have had to do all of those courses so I could do bar work but that's just the way it is. It's not easy but you have to try and focus on the positive aspects of being in Australia. I miss friends still as it's harder as you get older to make friends and we don't have kids which can make it easier to meet people. I've applied for a lot of jobs and not even had replies (I was a senior PA in London prior to becoming a PC) and I didn't think it would be hard to get work but i've had temp bookings and i've got bar work so I can't complain. It is hard, and sometimes you will feel very down but that is when you have to dig in.

I speak to my good friends and family every week and I try not to look at the map as then I feel very far away! We've met some lovely people here but it takes time to make friends. Just keep going and in the words of the great man Churchill "Never ever ever give up!" and "If you are going to go through hell keep going!" It costs money to move and I don't think you can keep moving around the world (unless you can afford it of course!) but they say it takes 18 months to two years to settle. I spoke to a Scottish man the other day who has been here 7 years and he said he still hasn't fully settled! Just try and focus on all of the things that you like about being here. And deal with today. Hope this help and remember you are certainly not alone :-):biggrin:

Edited by catlover1

I love how this is starting to turn into an anti-Aus diatribe by the same usual suspects. It's hilarious how they are trying to infer that it is hard to get a job in WA all because her OH didn't want to work as a TA temporarily.

I don't give a monkeys what anyone here from their bedroom in the home counties says, if you have UK experience in a trade such as an electrician you will be able to pick and choose jobs, throughout the WHOLE of Australia. Sparkies, fitters and welders reign supreme out here. I don't care what area it's in either. There is always work available, EVEN as TA.

You all magically think that regional areas don't have electrical work that needs doing somehow?

I love how this is starting to turn into an anti-Aus diatribe by the same usual suspects. It's hilarious how they are trying to infer that it is hard to get a job in WA all because her OH didn't want to work as a TA temporarily.

I don't give a monkeys what anyone here from their bedroom in the home counties says, if you have UK experience in a trade such as an electrician you will be able to pick and choose jobs, throughout the WHOLE of Australia. Sparkies, fitters and welders reign supreme out here. I don't care what area it's in either. There is always work available, EVEN as TA.

You all magically think that regional areas don't have electrical work that needs doing somehow?

Why don't you give it a rest.

One day you might suffer unemployment yourself and perhaps then you might learn some humanity.

The only person that has said OPs hubby did not want to be a TA is you. OP has said quite the opposite.

Hello there, I arrived from London last December and am starting to settle but it takes time and lots of patience. We have moved to a small town in the Southern Highlands in NSW so it's not at all comparable to living in a huge city like London. You just have to take one day at a time. I too have had to do all of those courses so I could do bar work but that's just the way it is. It's not easy but you have to try and focus on the positive aspects of being in Australia. I miss friends still as it's harder as you get older to make friends and we don't have kids which can make it easier to meet people. I've applied for a lot of jobs and not even had replies (I was a senior PA in London prior to becoming a PC) and I didn't think it would be hard to get work but i've had temp bookings and i've got bar work so I can't complain. It is hard, and sometimes you will feel very down but that is when you have to dig in.

I speak to my good friends and family every week and I try not to look at the map as then I feel very far away! We've met some lovely people here but it takes time to make friends. Just keep going and in the words of the great man Churchill "Never ever ever give up!" and "If you are going to go through hell keep going!" It costs money to move and I don't think you can keep moving around the world (unless you can afford it of course!) but they say it takes 18 months to two years to settle. I spoke to a Scottish man the other day who has been here 7 years and he said he still hasn't fully settled! Just try and focus on all of the things that you like about being here. And deal with today. Hope this help and remember you are certainly not alone :-):biggrin:

Churchill was probably fighting a war at the time. There is no need to think like that now. If the place isn't for you and you know it, then go back. You only live once and there is no sense in being miserable for a couple of years hoping that you will settle in.

I guess we were lucky, liked it from day 1, never been homesick, never had the urge to go back even for a holiday. Here is home now.

If it had been different though and I hadn't liked it or my wife and kids hadn't liked it I would have gone back in an instant. I'm not saying don't try though, it might be worth struggling financially for a little while but try to not get down about the whole experience and blame the place, rather than the situation.

Digitalis - go back and read all the OP's posts very carefully and digest what she is saying.

You might be an electrician and think you know all the answers, but you are only a backpacker who is cruising through WA working in Perth, with only yourself to support. You do not know what it is like in regional areas. So just give it a break and stop trying to wind everyone up.

I've read them, and fair comment re looking after myself BUT I used to read posts like that before I came out here, about people having to return through not finding a job etc etc and I was amazed at how opposite the situation is like in reality here. You are turning jobs away, and I don't mean as a tradie either.

It fills brits about to emmigrate full of self doubt and I cannot see that as a good thing when fact of the matter is Aus is the polar opposite to the UK regarding the employment market. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

I spent a long time in Wales on and off the dole when the GFC hit so I know how stressful unemployment is, particularly when the housing benefit cuts were implemented.

Edited by digitalis

Why don't you give it a rest.

One day you might suffer unemployment yourself and perhaps then you might learn some humanity.

The only person that has said OPs hubby did not want to be a TA is you. OP has said quite the opposite.

Rupert - if I could like your post more than once, I would... although here is my second I suppose!