At breaking point after just a month on the 475 Visa in WA :(

Maginca

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Restricted access for most countries but UK is part of the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. I don't know anyone from the UK who is living in SA on a 475 visa (or visited for that matter) that has ever had a refusal from Medicare.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements

You will get help with SOME costs.....475 hOlders do not get same entitlements as PR holders....a good private health cover is recommended.

If you go into Medicare at the forum with your passports and a copy of your 475 visa they will issue you with a temp number for medicare and then you will get a temp card sent through. So you are eligible as per reciprocal agreement. What part of mandurah are you in we are in dudley park if you ever want to meet for a coffee :)

Hi, Sorry to here you're struggling to get started, I found it hard at first to get started, though being on a student visa by my self, my challenges are slightly different to yours. Though I can appreciate how scary it can be when you have no income and only outgoings, quite a shock after having a regular wage for a number of years. Have you tried Woolies? looking on http://wowcareers.com.au, they have 2 night-fill jobs, one at BigW and one at Woolworths, their only casual and at night (would expect around $400+ per week), but can bring in some much needed money (I do night-fill at Woolies, up in Joondalup area).

Alan

Edited by spikeuk1982

Oh no, I feel for you... We were in a very similar situation, although we have PR. We spent roughly £12000 over about 3 months just 'existing'. It's such a stress when you know you can turn your hand to anything but no-one will give you a chance. We were on the Gold Coast and all in I think I applied for over 200 jobs (clerical/PA/Exec assistant etc) and only had one provisional interview!! It is so demoralising I know. Unfortunately, we basically ran out of money and couldn't risk being homeless with a 3 yr old so made the difficult decision to come back to the UK. I'm devastated and feel like we've wasted such a huge amount of money, but all the research in the world won't tell you how much competition there are for jobs... one job I applied for (which I heard nothing from initially) I called to ask for feedback and they basically said there had been over 250 people apply for it!! This was just a bog standard clerical job!

I know its scary, and stressful, and you doubt you've made the right choice... but at least you're doing it, you're making a change, you're taking a risk rather than sitting back and letting life pass you by. It'll work out, or it won't, but at least you tried.

xxx

So Milliemolly, are you saying that as long as the OP lives in the designated area, they could work just outside it? She seemed to be saying there was plenty of work in a town nearby, but out of their 'zone'. If this was the case, this could offer them a lifeline!

The government told me by email that it was acceptable to live in one region /zone and work in a different zone, as long as that zone still carries a regional postcode. They also told me they are in the process of declassifying some postcodes as no longer being regional but then said not to worry as it would probably not come into effect during my time scale. They said if in doubt check with them before taking up any position

Millie x

Why are you spending $1000 a week in rent? I live in Mandurah and have for 4 years and there are loads of houses available for less than that. We have a 3 storey house opposite the ocean with a pool for $325.

Do you read the Coastal Times and Mandurah Mail? The free papers? If you dont get them, they can be picked up in the library. Both have local job listings.

If your husband is a sparkie, does he have his tickets to work as one in WA? If so, speaking to trades guys in the area, the best thing he can do is stop where every there are housebuilds going on and ask about work. In Oz, most tradies are self employed contractors and that is a good way to start. I would get him to print CV's and also think about getting some business cards made. There cheap to do at about $30 for 200. He can hand them out on sites where a CV isnt the best way forward.

Feel free to PM me if you guys want to meet up for a beer - my treat.

Hi Maginca. As said by W and W, lots of people have moved states on a 475 visa as the obligation is a moral one and not a legal one. But, you do have to move to another regional area.

Take a look at Adelaide as the whole of SA is classed as regional for immigration. Don't be unhappy and have regrets when you've tried so hard and long to get here. Adelaide is a great city of just over a million people, great beachside suburbs within 15-20 minutes drive to the city and it is much cheaper to live than WA at the moment. It couldn't hurt for at least one of you to come over for a reccie and see what you think. Register onto the PIO sister site www.pomsinadelaide.com too and speak to other young families in your position - a lot of PIA members have come over on 475's and succesfully moved on to PR in the last 5 years.

Good luck.

PS $10 per hour is illegal in this country - the minimum wage is around $16 per hour.

Hi Majinka:

You're getting some lovely, warm responses here and I want to add mine to them, although sadly I don't have any practical answers, other than to say go with Kazzarazza's suggestion about having a look at dear old Adelaide.

I wish I could magic you and your family out of the situation you're presently in, but I can't (because I know nothing about your type of visa), although I do think there's someone who might at least be able to give you some practical help and advice, but you'll only find her on 'PomsinAdelaide', PIO's little sister site. She goes under the tag 'Gollywobbler' and is worth her weight in gold for all the wonderful advice she gives to desperate new migrants/would-be-migrants who find themselves in desperate need of help -- as do you! Honestly, in my opinion, this woman should be Sainted for Services to people needing advice on migrating to Oz (although as she's now solely with Poms in Adelaide, maybe that credit should be: 'for Services to people wanting specific visa advice for people moving to Adelaide!!'). If anyone knows how to help you, Gollywobbler's your girl!

I urge you to pop over to PIA and seek her out. She'll come when you call. Just post your thread there and I'm sure she'll come to your aid very soon!

Don't give up, Majinka! You've come such a long way and there are truly rewards to be had in the wonderful Land of Oz!!

I'm also thinking you might have a case against your useless agent by looking at the Codes of Practise on the MARA website (provided she's a MARA agent). That's got to be worth a look, too, I think.

My heart goes out to you. Try not to lose heart!!

:hug:x

Edited by barbaitch

Oh no, I feel for you... We were in a very similar situation, although we have PR. We spent roughly £12000 over about 3 months just 'existing'. It's such a stress when you know you can turn your hand to anything but no-one will give you a chance. We were on the Gold Coast and all in I think I applied for over 200 jobs (clerical/PA/Exec assistant etc) and only had one provisional interview!! It is so demoralising I know. Unfortunately, we basically ran out of money and couldn't risk being homeless with a 3 yr old so made the difficult decision to come back to the UK. I'm devastated and feel like we've wasted such a huge amount of money, but all the research in the world won't tell you how much competition there are for jobs... one job I applied for (which I heard nothing from initially) I called to ask for feedback and they basically said there had been over 250 people apply for it!! This was just a bog standard clerical job!

I know its scary, and stressful, and you doubt you've made the right choice... but at least you're doing it, you're making a change, you're taking a risk rather than sitting back and

letting life pass you by. It'll work out, or it won't, but at least you tried.

xxx

Sorry to side line the thread, but how r u doing? How's it going back in the UK? So felt for you when I've read you're posts! Hope things are working out in the UK.

Guest cleopatra

http://www.gettingajob.dpc.wa.gov.au/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Sorry to hear you are struggling OP. There is no doubt it is really hard here to start with and jobs are very thin on the ground atm especially on the type of visa you are on.

I've just put this link on because another poster said that local Govt jobs were just for PRs and Citizens. True for permanent jobs and you also have to be a citizen for an Australian Public Service Job (apart from a translator for which you have to be PR). However for fixed term, contract and casual work in local Govt you can be TR.

Hope the link works - info is in the FAQs

No work in the Perth área AND your OH is a spark? I think you're telling porkies.

In fact I know you are, me as a mere backpacker am turning jobs away. I know Loads of electricians here and they are working 12hr days for 14 days straight So Please stop worrying people unneccesarily.

Edited by digitalis

No work in the Perth área AND your OH is a spark? I think you're telling porkies.

In fact I know you are, me as a mere backpacker am turning jobs away. I know Loads of electricians here and they are working 12hr days for 14 days straight So Please stop worrying people unneccesarily.

Why would anyone make it up?

Lucky you, your WHV allows you to work in Perth, OP and family cannot live or work in Perth.

I said area. What So now the WA regional just covers Mandurah? Hows that work then Its only a 35 min train ride from Perth.

There is work everywhere here, sparkies in particular get their hand bitten of, even if they have to work as a trades assistant until they get their oz licence, they are still on good money given the hours.

Its not harsh this forum is evolving into an anti Australia unhappy expats collective. Its near enough there now. All backslapping each others exagerrated doom and gloom mongering. Jobs and disposable income are the biggest pinnochio inducers here, both of which are on a different stratosphere to the UK, and I mean in a good way.

Even in the UK the poster Would get a job with that much effort, and now everyone here is convinced that area is like some valleys or northern town for work? Come off it.

Edited by digitalis

I said area. There is work everywhere here, even in little no phone signal Balingup, 200km south of Perth I was offered work.

Its not harsh this forum is evolving into an anti Australia unhappy expats collective. Its near enough there now. All backslapping each others exagerrated doom and gloom mongering. Jobs and disposable income are the biggest pinnochio inducers here, both of which are on a different stratosphere to the UK, and I mean in a good way.

Even in the UK the poster Would get a job with that much effort, and now everyone here is convinced that the booming WA is like some valleys or northern town for work? Come off it.

different stratosphere in what way ?

Guest The Pom Queen

That's great news you can get him a job then :wink:

If the op wants to pm me the region they are restricted to ill ask some of my leccy mates where they found work no probs.

Every Aussie employer you speak to says the Same thing, namely they cannot get and keep (Aussie) staff unless they are paying $30 an hour plus, So they are usually when brits used to earning half or less than half that rock up.

If the op wants to pm me the region they are restricted to ill ask some of my leccy mates where they found work no probs.

Every Aussie employer you speak to says the Same thing, namely they cannot get and keep (Aussie) staff unless they are paying $30 an hour plus, So they are usually when brits used to earning half or less than half that rock up.

Maybe you have the resources to help them out then. If you are on a WHV and only yourself to factor you are probably a good deal more mobile and flexible than someone with children to be put in school and suitable family friendly accommodation to seek.

Millie

Edited by milliem

Why would they tell porkies.? Yeh I know someone who knows a mates friend who has a cousin who's brothe is working 24 houses a day 7 days a week as there is so much work out there.

I said area. What So now the WA regional just covers Mandurah? Hows that work then Its only a 35 min train ride from Perth.

There is work everywhere here, sparkies in particular get their hand bitten of, even if they have to work as a trades assistant until they get their oz licence, they are still on good money given the hours.

Even in the UK the poster Would get a job with that much effort, and now everyone here is convinced that area is like some valleys or northern town for work? Come off it.

No it was harsh. There must be something wrong with you if that is all you can say to somebody who is out of work and is quite clearly struggling.

Maybe put your money where your mouth is (so to speak) and help OP find some work then.

And as for the forum being anti-Australian ... are you actually saying that if someone has sympathy with somebody else that is out of work that it is due to being anti-Australian? I have heard some idiotic things in my life but this is pretty incredulous stuff.

No it was harsh. There must be something wrong with you if that is all you can say to somebody who is out of work and is quite clearly struggling.

Maybe put your money where your mouth is (so to speak) and help OP find some work then.

And as for the forum being anti-Australian ... are you actually saying that if someone has sympathy with somebody else that is out of work that it is due to being anti-Australian? I have heard some idiotic things in my life but this is pretty incredulous stuff.

I agree 100% so easy to say there is work when you are not looking for it yourself ain't it.

Hello!!!

We've been here for a month now (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter) and I'd never have imagined we'd be this unhappy.

We came on a 475 Regional State Sponsored Visa and are living in Mandurah. This regional sponsorship is awful. All the jobs are not within our regional areas, some literally a stones throw from our areas (Rockingham/Fremantle) but not acceptable by the government here for our strict visas. Mandurah is beautiful, but there's no work here. Yes, yes, I know that's what the regional sponsored visa is about, but even after a years research we couldn't have prepared for the lack of work! Damn my agent for not pushing for a 176 when we asked her to.

My husband is a sparks and I've owned a grooming salon for years in the UK but have loads of experience in other careers and can turn my hand to most jobs. However, we have so far spent approximately 9 hours a day applying for jobs, cold calling jobs, emailing companies, registering with agencies, walking the streets looking for "Hiring" signs..... and NOTHING!

My husband has begun expensive training to do all the tickets required to get a job, such as working at heights, confined spaces, EWP, forklift truck etc at a HUGE cost just so he can work on a site somewhere, but the companies want actual Ozzy experience and they're not in our postcode area. Can't get his Grade A licence until he has his provisional one through then goes to college at huge expense. He even applied to work on a pig farm and a 17 year old's job as a farriers assistant!

I have had to pay for a course just to serve drinks in a bar, and STILL can't get a job despite going into every bar, restaurant and agency with my resume!

I actually think we were better off in the UK. We owned a house outright, and had great jobs and support.

I feel lonelier than ever here, and just cry all night after a day of utter rejection.

I know that loads of you readers will shoot me down and say I'm lucky to have got here, but I'm sorry that's not how t feels right now.

We won't/can't go home as we've invested everything we own into this, but I'm seriously at breaking point. :(

I feel for you, being restricted to an area makes it very hard to get employment. People who say getting employment is easy are lucky because they usually have a job and do not have to go through the hard yards you are doing. Because of the restrictions of the visa I guess you cannot just up sticks and move. Have you spoken to a migration agent to see if its possible to move somewhere else due to the lack of work for you with this visa.

Take no notice of bad posts here, you do not know the poster and they do not know you and they are not walking in your shoes.

I just hope that things can turn around for you. How about doing some grooming, I know there is always demand for a good groomer bit like having a hairdresser. When I had my dogs groomed I used to have to have a standing appointment with my groomer to make sure they were done regularly. Used to cost me over hundred dollars a time.

Sometimes the local pub on a Friday afternoon can be a source of jobs and information, also can get oh to know the locals etc which may help.

I have family in this area and its a nice area.