High school age, QLD

Keira huggins

Confused! It often doesn't take a lot :mad:

My so has just turned 13 and is currently in year 8 in the uk. We are moving to the Brisbane area next month. I am not looking to put him into school immediately, thinking we will enrol him in time for the start of the next academic year. I was convinced that he would start in January in year 8, but doing some more reading I am now doubting myself.

any info would much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Keira

Confused! It often doesn't take a lot :mad:

My so has just turned 13 and is currently in year 8 in the uk. We are moving to the Brisbane area next month. I am not looking to put him into school immediately, thinking we will enrol him in time for the start of the next academic year. I was convinced that he would start in January in year 8, but doing some more reading I am now doubting myself.

any info would much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Keira

Hi Kiera,

we moved to Queensland in may this year. My daughter was in year 8 in Uk she had turned 13 in the April before we came. She has stayed in year 8 and will start year 9 in January. Just a few months behind her old pals in the uk.

However my younger daughter was in year 5 in the uk and she is in year 4 over here she was 10 in August.

The cut off point is the end of June for the year groups so I think your son might be in the year below out here.

It can be worrying, my younger one would of been in year 6 now in the uk and she won't even start year 5 here until January. But saying that she is really happy and I think you have to look at it like they are not going back, they are just in a different system

email a few schools and ask, I did this before we came out and they were very helpful

all the best with your move

My daughter was born in January 1998. We moved over when she was 13 1/2 and had just finished Year 8 (July 2011) in the UK. She was put into Year 8 here for for terms 3 & 4 and started Year 9 in January.

On a side note, my daughter has told me numerous times she was glad she had a chance to attend school here and make friends before the long summer holiday and cement a friendship group prior to Year 9.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am a little (well lot) confused with what year my son will be in when we return in January 2013.

He is 11 on Saturday and his date of birth is 01/12/01. He is currently in year 6 in UK.

I have had a reply from a school on the Gold Coast to say he has to start Year 7 in January 2013???

This means he will have never completed year 6.

When we lived on Sunshine Coast, he was in year 4 in January 2011.

Please can someone advise as I am very worried that he will miss out and his education will suffer.

Thanks

Jill

xxx

It really doesn't matter one iota what year level they are in in UK - just go with the flow and put them with their age cohort in Australia. Each state is different - just to add to the thrill - and it's useful to give their month of birth as the cut off dates vary widely. However I would have thought that a child turning 11 now would be going into year 6 in 2013 in any state!

Hi, I am a little (well lot) confused with what year my son will be in when we return in January 2013.

He is 11 on Saturday and his date of birth is 01/12/01. He is currently in year 6 in UK.

I have had a reply from a school on the Gold Coast to say he has to start Year 7 in January 2013???

This means he will have never completed year 6.

When we lived on Sunshine Coast, he was in year 4 in January 2011.

Please can someone advise as I am very worried that he will miss out and his education will suffer.

Thanks

Jill

xxx

My son never completed Year 3, he started it in the UK in Septemer ,did 1 term then we moved here, with the big xmas holidays here he didnt start school until January when he started in Year 4. He did quite well in Year4 and was on par with all the other kids so i wouldnt worry too much.

Cal x

It really doesn't matter one iota what year level they are in in UK - just go with the flow and put them with their age cohort in Australia. Each state is different - just to add to the thrill - and it's useful to give their month of birth as the cut off dates vary widely. However I would have thought that a child turning 11 now would be going into year 6 in 2013 in any state!

Especially in the same state as both replies are from Queensland!

The old system was you went into Y7 the year you turned 12, Y8 the year you turned 13 etc. (ie you could turn that age any time throughout the calendar year)

So primary was Y1 (6) to Y7 (12) and high school was Y8 (13) to Y12 (17).

Some children are still going through school on this system (and so will yours if they are older) but a few years back they introduced Prep and changed the system and the age cutoffs to mid year - June 30. I think the first Prep kids are now in middle to late primary so it will be all different for them?