Your Favourite Holiday

Guest The Pom Queen

My best holidays have always been ones I remember from being young, going away with a bunch of mates. Sometime the ones in the UK were just as good fun as the ones abroad. More about the people round you and the laughs, the girls and the booze. Nights you can only remember so much of but, somehow made it back to the hotel without a scratch to do it all over again the next day.

One of my favourites was Tenerife with just one mate. We booked it last minute as we had both got a couple of weeks off work. Never been to Tenrife before and booked into a hotel that was popular with Germans. Doesn't sound like an ideal plan but because we were the only English guys in the hotel and the area around it seemed that we couldn't go wrong with the German girls. Must have been the holiday spirit that everyone's in, I bet if we had gone to Germany for a holiday we wouldn't have got the same reception.

Did anyone else notice that when young people are on holiday in a different country where the weather is hot people seem to loose their inhibitions? Topless was the order of the day and it was strange to see someone with a bikini top on. Pity the Prince and Princess didn't just laugh off the photos and say haven't you seen a topless woman before.

Me and the wife had a timeshare in Portugal at a place called Praia- Da-Oura for a few years before we emigrated. Just one week in a really nice development right on the beach. Used to be on a budget, go there for a week and then find a cheap apartment to stay for an extra couple. Loved the Algarve.

Guest Guest16631

.........growing up travel'n all over the world.........holidays in Singapore......Shiraz......and various European countries...........my sisters and I begged for what we saw as a typical English holiday...........we were 12 ,11 and 8 ..........and with a grandparents help we booked a week at

butlins in Glasgow............we loved it..........had never experienced anything like it before............and it had the biggest impact as a holiday on all the other places I had been..........we had the time of our lives and the fact that it was Glasgow week made it all the more special..............a fantastic week.....IMO........and ime.....lol...........tink x

My best holidays have always been ones I remember from being young, going away with a bunch of mates. Sometime the ones in the UK were just as good fun as the ones abroad. More about the people round you and the laughs, the girls and the booze. Nights you can only remember so much of but, somehow made it back to the hotel without a scratch to do it all over again the next day.

One of my favourites was Tenerife with just one mate. We booked it last minute as we had both got a couple of weeks off work. Never been to Tenrife before and booked into a hotel that was popular with Germans. Doesn't sound like an ideal plan but because we were the only English guys in the hotel and the area around it seemed that we couldn't go wrong with the German girls. Must have been the holiday spirit that everyone's in, I bet if we had gone to Germany for a holiday we wouldn't have got the same reception.

Did anyone else notice that when young people are on holiday in a different country where the weather is hot people seem to loose their inhibitions? Topless was the order of the day and it was strange to see someone with a bikini top on. Pity the Prince and Princess didn't just laugh off the photos and say haven't you seen a topless woman before.

Me and the wife had a timeshare in Portugal at a place called Praia- Da-Oura for a few years before we emigrated. Just one week in a really nice development right on the beach. Used to be on a budget, go there for a week and then find a cheap apartment to stay for an extra couple. Loved the Algarve.

Actually I think you would have had as much fun with German girls in Germany. Reason in part I stayed on there . Same for France. Not sure why it's different in England. Australia doesn't work at all in that way......

Love Portugal ....Lisboa is one of my favourite cities.I feel a sense of elation everytime I return there. Used to stay in the north, Nazare in thr early 90s. Rent a room in a local house for a month great....Sagres in the early 90s down south was not too popular then but loved the place. So much in Portugal to like.If I spoke the language would really think about retiring there.

I'm surprised that you haven't settled a lot better here Flag, if you liked Portugal so much. One of the reasons we picked Perth was that we knew the Algarve so well and when we used to go to the Australian Embassy in Manchester we got books from the library there that compared Perth coastline and climate to the Algarve. That just about swung it for us. We thought Algarve and everyone will speak English, perfect. Found that to be about correct.

You've not considered retiring here then?

I've been to Germany and France and didn't have the same response from the girls (unless it was Octoberfest) as when you meet them on holiday in Tenerife, Spain or Greece. French girls have always seemed a bit aloof. I think English and probably any other nationality are the same. Met girls who I vaguely knew from my home town on holiday and had a great time with them whilst away. Transplanted back home and they wouldn't give you the time of day. Most of them I considered out of my league when at home though, I has a bit of a bad rep. growing up and it was a small town.

Maybe it's the booze and sun and everyones in a good mood. The times I have been down Northbridge have reminded me of being young and abroad. I know a lot have given it a bad reputation but I've had some good times there.

Well it wasn't a holiday, but before I moved to Australia I lived in Orlando and worked at Disney World ( best experience ever, on an international exchange program ). Then I worked for a cruise company in Miami and traveled the Caribbean. They are my 2nd favourite places. Also did Camp America ( USA Counselor Program ) in New York and I think I left my heart there as I loved it so much. Good times.

Glad I did all that traveling before I became a Mum, as I have not been able to afford one single holiday since living in Australia- and I have been here a few years.

Edited by Sammy1

either snowboarding in austria, or backpacking around thailand....

Backpacking was with OH while snowboarding was with a bunch of mates.... boarding in the day, drinking till silly hours in the morning, to get up and do the same thing day after day :jimlad:

Also had a great holiday in north Qld and sailing on the WSI on the siska...

happy times!!!!

Off to egypt this X-mas, so my list might change

1. Watching the Northern Lights in its fully glory deep in a Lavuu in Lyngen Alps, North Norway.

2. Breaking fast with the locals in Istanbul during Ramadan (and no I am not a Muslim) and a refreshing public cruise on the Bosphorous

3. Watching Ronaldo scoring a Hat-trick at the Bernabeu in Madrid in a La Liga game.

Two favourites - our honeymoon to Hong Kong and Thailand was fantastic and places we'd both wanted to visit. My other is Florida with the children and the magic of Disney. We stayed in a Disney hotel and I never got fed up of people saying "have a magical day" I think my boy is the only child ever to tell Mickey Mouse off because he ruffled his hair.

Notice that florida has came up a lot lol

It was the first holiday we took together Stacey and we then re-visited with the kids. The first time we went there really was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot with MGM just being built. I was like a big kid then but even taking the kids back .. I was a big kid going "Oh look there's Tigger". Have to say I adored animal kingdom

I completely loved it too and i was 20 by the time i went lol, had always wanted to go to the magic kingdom since i was little, better late than never! i can see why its so amazing for little kids (and adults!) lol I think dave was bored but said he was still glad he got to see it.

Florida is definitely a amazing place! we'd like to go to florida and new york next year if i can get a hold of a money tree lol

I have been to some beautiful places around the world but my favourite holiday ever was 3 months camping in the outback. Days without seeing anyone, digging our own toilets, no showers, being careful with fuel and water etc - sounds unattractive, but it was wonderful.

It was the most carefree time in my life.

• 2 weeks later...
Small Island called 'Eleuthera' Kate, part of the Bahamas group.

Not expensive, tiny place, the nicest peeps I have ever met.

One set of traffic lights, one shop/supermarket (of sorts) and a 'main' street that looks as if people have been scared away by a rampant disease.

Oh yeah, the Bone fishing isn't bad either.:laugh:

Been there! Awesome pineapples.... and no locks on the hotel rooms coz you just didn't need them!

I would have to suggest Delhi, India. We have been to India a few times and Northern India is simply amazing. We have travelled quite a lot including China, Cuba, Maritius, lots of Europe, North Africa etc. Oz was also great not only for the country but also seeing family for the time in years.

I think we are quite well travelled however never been to Scotland! Been as far north as Carlisle.

Do give Delhi a chance, amazing in every aspect including wonderful people and some of the worlds greatest food.

S

Edited by srg73

Best holiday for me was my first holiday with Pam while still courting omg so long ago

We went to Zakynthos (Zante)

This was before it was commercialized

What an holiday

So quiet but a short walk and a little bit of noise but still quiet

Loads of cocktails

I remember having to carry a torch as we walked on the roads in the dark with a red and green light on it to let cars know we were there lol

Oh and the Turtles Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We went back a few years ago and what a change

Didn't like it at all

Nothing like what it was and to us it's been spoiled

Howard

1. Vilankulos / Nhassoro (Mozambique) stayed in an amazing beach front house and then sailed on a dhow across to Paradise Island - we had the whole island to ourselves (except for the caretaker and his family). Amazing beaches, amazing seafood. Harrowing 10 hour road trip down from Zimbabwe but enjoyed every minute of our holiday.

2. Skiing in Val d'Isere in the French Alps - 10 days of brilliant skiing, loads of runs to choose from (Olympic run was our favourite!). Our ski instructor William was amazing and we skiied almost all day on different runs each time covering most of the runs in a week. Exhilerating, exhausting and looking forward to getting our two girls out on ski's soon!

Guest AKA63029
Been there! Awesome pineapples.... and no locks on the hotel rooms coz you just didn't need them!

Hi Diane.

This is Governors Harbour (Eleuthera) main high street:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16997[/ATTACH]

And yep, that 'thing' top left is the ONLY set of traffic lights in town, :laugh:.

Shame it never works though.:laugh:

Best holiday for me was my first holiday with Pam while still courting omg so long ago

We went to Zakynthos (Zante)

This was before it was commercialized

What an holiday

So quiet but a short walk and a little bit of noise but still quiet

Loads of cocktails

I remember having to carry a torch as we walked on the roads in the dark with a red and green light on it to let cars know we were there lol

Oh and the Turtles Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We went back a few years ago and what a change

Didn't like it at all

Nothing like what it was and to us it's been spoiled

Howard

You know what they say. Don't return somewhere after a period where you experienced a good time. I have discovered this time and time again.

Hi Diane.

This is Governors Harbour (Eleuthera) main high street:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16997[/ATTACH]

And yep, that 'thing' top left is the ONLY set of traffic lights in town, :laugh:.

Shame it never works though.:laugh:

Ah, takes me back - was back in 1989 we went there. I remember our lovely waiter who had trouble with his 'r's describing the dish of the day to us - it was pan fried reef grouper with peas and rice....

Mmmmm could murder some conch salad right now!