Sheet Metal Worker VETASSESS

CNC FABS

Hil All

I'm going over as a sheet metal trades worker. Need to have skills checked by Vetasses. They have told be they are not looking to do any practical tests in the UK in the future and it will be a 'technical interview' instead.

Can anyone who has been there, done that. Give me any pointers on what the format will be and the sort of question they might ask.

I'm 19 years in the trade, now mainly all CNC machine work (turret punch, pressbrake, thin gauge). Some tig and mig welding, but never done stick. Good with 2d cad and past experience in industrial spray painting and powder coating. Will have AQF3 before shortly also (rpl).

Thanks

I did the Metal Fabricator Heavy Fabrication practical and it covered geometry and sheet metal work in the small test papers we did and we also did some simple sheet work, folding etc, I think the VETASSES website gave a description of what is expected in the interview. But not personally doing sheet metal I am unsure but if you wanted to do the metal fabricator t sounds like you could pass that as it was very easy.

Thanks Chris

Vetasses do list some info,but nothing relating to the sheet metal trades and nothing about the 'technical interview' That was why I emailed them about the practical test and they advised me they are not offering them. Just not sure how you can prove your manufacturing skills over the phone / web. or is it in person ???.

Hence there must be someone in internet land that has done it ??

• 2 weeks later...

The occupation ceilings look very different depending on which anzsco code you get assessed under.

3222 - sheetmetal trades workers shows 600

3223 - structural steel and welding trades workers (includes metal fabricator) shows 4860

If you could pass the metal fabricator one, given the occupation ceiling being much higher, is that worth a consideration? Obviously you need the right qualifications for the work you want to do when you get over there, but maybe a little research into the metal fabricator to see how closely it matches up could be worthwhile?

Thanks for the reply.

Any further info of what sort of questions they ask you ???

Yes I understand your point about the 2 trades, but I don't think they will even fill the smaller quota in this field.

Of course the larger intake in the fabs sector could lower the points tally to get called up after e.o.i, I will look at

it.

• 2 weeks later...
My OH has just done the metal fabricator assessment. He said it was all sheet metalwork in the assessment, didn't do any welding at all.

Is it crucial you do the sheet metal trades worker assessment? Have you checked the occupation ceilings for both? Which visa are you going for?

Hello hot welder...

Can you please give some points to review on the assessment for metal fabricator?? Because that is my occupation I applied for and after my IELTS I'll go to this assessment..

Please can you give me some information? Are they going to assess me in actual? I mean they are going to test me in actual fit-up and welding?

I did the Metal Fabricator Heavy Fabrication practical and it covered geometry and sheet metal work in the small test papers we did and we also did some simple sheet work, folding etc, I think the VETASSES website gave a description of what is expected in the interview. But not personally doing sheet metal I am unsure but if you wanted to do the metal fabricator t sounds like you could pass that as it was very easy.

ukchris sir, Please give me some tips on metal fabricator assessment because I'll be going to this assessment after my ILETS, I did some assessment before at Tesda Philippines but in the field of welding not as a fabricator so I don't have any knowledge on how they will assess my skill as metal fabricator.. Are they going to assess me in actual? I'm a structural steel fabricator here in UAE now and my fear is that if they incorporate sheet metal in the assessment..Thanks

ukchris sir, Please give me some tips on metal fabricator assessment because I'll be going to this assessment after my ILETS, I did some assessment before at Tesda Philippines but in the field of welding not as a fabricator so I don't have any knowledge on how they will assess my skill as metal fabricator.. Are they going to assess me in actual? I'm a structural steel fabricator here in UAE now and my fear is that if they incorporate sheet metal in the assessment..Thanks

Yes they will assess you in sheet metal, you need to know how to work out cone development etc this is paper based. Then you will use workshop tools etc to make something simple form sheet metal. Also I had to do a MIG weld test, a MMA test and for additional points I also did TIG. You will also need to show you can use burning tackle to cut out a circle from a piece of plate steel.

If you can do you job you will have no problem but I would not go for metal fabricator if you are only a welder.

Thanks for the reply.

Any further info of what sort of questions they ask you ???

Yes I understand your point about the 2 trades, but I don't think they will even fill the smaller quota in this field.

Of course the larger intake in the fabs sector could lower the points tally to get called up after e.o.i, I will look at

it.

I had to make a paper tray from sheet steel. Some theory, first and third angle drawings, health and safety, demonstrate some measuring and marking out. Was asked questions as you worked to demonstrate understanding. No welding, but option to do some if you wanted. Started about 8:15am, first hour brief, health and safety etc. (optional) Break for lunch, (up to an hour) tidy up and completed for about 5pm.

Edited by Hot Welder

Hello hot welder...

Can you please give some points to review on the assessment for metal fabricator?? Because that is my occupation I applied for and after my IELTS I'll go to this assessment..

Please can you give me some information? Are they going to assess me in actual? I mean they are going to test me in actual fit-up and welding?

I didn't do any welding at all on the metal fabricator assessment, was almost all sheet metal based. If you are a welder only, would the welder (first class) assessment be more suitable for you?

I had to make a paper tray from sheet steel. Some theory, first and third angle drawings, health and safety, demonstrate some measuring and marking out. Was asked questions as you worked to demonstrate understanding. No welding, but option to do some if you wanted. Started about 8:15am, first hour brief, health and safety etc. (optional) Break for lunch, (up to an hour) tidy up and completed for about 5pm.

Bloody hell you were there for a long time, I was back up the M1 before lunch, the welders were still there when I left, the paper tray was bit of a joke TBH.

Was it the Ozzy blokes who took yours at the college down London area?

Yes they will assess you in sheet metal, you need to know how to work out cone development etc this is paper based. Then you will use workshop tools etc to make something simple form sheet metal. Also I had to do a MIG weld test, a MMA test and for additional points I also did TIG. You will also need to show you can use burning tackle to cut out a circle from a piece of plate steel.

If you can do you job you will have no problem but I would not go for metal fabricator if you are only a welder.

Thanks for your reply, but i am a structural steel fabricator, and we do not do this cone development this is I think a job for sheet metal, are this sheet metal and a metal fabricator the same field for assessment???

Thanks...

Thanks for your reply, but i am a structural steel fabricator, and we do not do this cone development this is I think a job for sheet metal, are this sheet metal and a metal fabricator the same field for assessment???

Thanks...

The same for me I am not a sheet metal fabricator but it I had to describe how to do it on one of the papers, I cannot remember which one. With a little reading up it is not difficult.

• 4 months later...

hello guys,

I have also lodged an assessment with vetassess for metal fabricator and it's a level2 optional- Documentary evidence supplied partially meets the trade requirements. A comprehensive skills assessment will be required. You are invited to proceed to a skills assessment however, caution is recommended as there is a risk of an unsuccessful outcome. Gaps in experience or knowledge were identified in some areas. Please check your result letter for further details.

I'm currently in Melbourne and working full time as a welder on a dependant student visa status. My company is willing to sponsor me. I've been working here since Aug 2011 and had work stints in the Philippines as a welder as well. I was told I should have just applied for a First Class welder assessment instead of a Metal Fabricator. should I diss the metal fabricator route and re-apply for assessment as a First Class Welder?

Any info/tips will be much appreciated. cheers!

• 7 years later...

Hello 

I have applied for skill assessment as a sheet metal trade worker in VETASSESS and 1st stage of assessment (documents verification) is completed. Now I have stage 2 assessment (technical interview) and I want some guidance, how to prepare for that interview. 
I really appreciate if someone can help me for that or can share contact who can help me to prepare for this stage 2( technical interview).  

Thanks😊 

• 2 months later...