Keeping Chickens

tonyman

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry Tink,did'nt realise you've been asked alot before!I now understand so thankyou for explaining xx

Don't worry about it Tink doesn't, see I'm even talking for her now, sorry Tink :hug:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest The Pom Queen
......with young chicks ...........up to six weeks you need starter feed..............also the smaller they are ,the easier they can escape...........Many choose point of lay..........approx 16 To 21 weeks.............

I don't think I'd ever buy day old chicks again especially having a young kid as they grow too attached and when they end up being Roos and they have to go it breaks their heart. Do you get snakes where you are Nick?

Guest Guest16631

...........there a few others doing it ................must be catching...............:shocked::laugh:...

.........edit to say.........I miss the post I was replying to with havving to stretch to read..............and space to write.............forget to quote ............so often out of sync.............

............sorry tonyman ..........which breeds do you like the look of....?

Edited by Guest16631
Add

I don't think I'd ever buy day old chicks again especially having a young kid as they grow too attached and when they end up being Roos and they have to go it breaks their heart. Do you get snakes where you are Nick?

only in my pants Kate ................ok so very young chicks are a no no ....thats a good start........so aroundn 18 weeks ok ??

Guest The Pom Queen
only in my pants Kate ................ok so very young chicks are a no no ....thats a good start........so aroundn 18 weeks ok ??

Personally I would after going through the tears, as soon as they are old enough to be sexed go for it

From my youngest child when we have to send back the cockerals

arrrggghhh ive had a chat with the stockest and she just told me to axe the head (as we have a pecker) leave upside dow for an hour , then maybe good for soup as these are 15 month old .........i have no probs with be heading ...........take heed Brit....lol x

Guest The Pom Queen
arrrggghhh ive had a chat with the stockest and she just told me to axe the head (as we have a pecker) leave upside dow for an hour , then maybe good for soup as these are 15 month old .........i have no probs with be heading ...........take heed Brit....lol x

Oh I couldn't do that, I struggle even eating the eggs they lay (don't ask)

• 4 weeks later...
I've kept chooks for years.A really good book to buy is "Jackie French's Chook Book"which you can buy via Earth Garden magazine,book shops and probably the internet.

hey Melza , i have two chook wisdom mags next to me right now ! plus one has a foreword by Jackie French too .........did you see my post "Sexing Chicks" today ,i added a picture as i think i have two cocks (i wish) .....took a few books out of the library but they dont say too much about nesting boxes , size ect and sexing them.............still a novice but educating myself ............thanks Melza

Edited by tonyman
missed the s out of chicks ,

hey Melza , i have two chook wisdom mags next to me right now ! plus one has a foreword by Jackie French too .........did you see my post "Sexing Chicks" today ,i added a picture as i think i have two cocks (i wish) .....took a few books out of the library but they dont say too much about nesting boxes , size ect and sexing them.............still a novice but educating myself ............thanks Melza

You're welcome!Earth Garden mag used to be my bible,and they printed a letter I had written!lol Grass Roots is another fab magazine.Still buy both when I'm in Oz,old habits die hard!Jackie French also writes kids books,and I gave my grandaughter one for last Xmas.She's a pom (GD)and she loved the book!(her Mum's an aussie!)

• 3 weeks later...

Tink , sorry not wanting to highjack the lovely thread going on for you so im asking on here ......my chooks choose to congregate two foot outside the coop each night and settle down for bed , i then have to lift each one up and put them to bed , how can i stop this , ........

Guest Guest16631

............I close mine in at night when they are new..........put something against the doorway........or close the door if there is one..........doesn't take too long and they go in themselves.............good luck with them.........tink x

Guest Guest16631
does anyone have any tips on making a nesting box , and when should it be introduced to the coop ,they only 7weeks ...thanks

..........I found its best to have nesting boxes from the start...........I put mine behind the perches.........that way it's easy for the hens to get in and out.........have also made a ladder................wood with steps nailed on...........will try and post some photos........have used old grocers boxes with some straw for bedding.....

Guest Guest16631

attachment.jpghere are the nesting boxes and ladders...........this is a new unfinished coop........sorry picture hasn't worked..........blinkin iPad........had a new computer for significant birthday ...........still trying to get to grips with it...

will try again later.............need to copy and paste fron photo album............

Edited by Guest16631
aaaarrrggghhhhhh technology

Guest Guest16631

.........this is the only Internet forum I am on.............do struggle with computers and no longer have emails.........which for many are necessary...............I find the local produce shop and livestock markets very helpful..............also some breeders will go out of their way to show you different aspects of chicken care.............I will continue to try and put the photos up for you...........old dell died......unfortunately...........will get to grips with this other one.............!