Keeping Chickens

tonyman

ive just started to build a new coop at my place for just 5 or so chooks but does anyone know which chooks are the best and regular layers ? I bought 30 ex cage chooks last week from my mate who has his own egg farm business in Forrestdale but they are about 15 month old ,still daily layers but that will probs ease within 12 months ,only $2.50 each though so good value............but now i want to get the chicks from young and get the most of them and be pure free range , so can you tell me the best breed to get ?:animal-chicken:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest The Pom Queen

Look for Australorp, leghorn, and Rhode Island Red for the best egg layers.

We have some silkies that are gorgeous looking but the leghorns are huge and the best egg producers.

I have Australorps which are bred for Australian conditions and boy, do they lay. If you want 5 or so, maybe stagger them; get 3 this year and 2 next year otherwise you'll have a glut then progressively less. I only have three but give away half a dozen eggs at least once a week.

Silikes are hard to keep. They suffer certain health conditions and often fall off the perch.

I'd always go for pure breeds over hybrids. I like Maran's personally for eggs. And a few other British breeds but Australorps are lovely. And attractive.

FWIW your ex farm girls may suffer various problems in coming months so if you've not learnt already, get a lesson in how to dispatch a chook properly. I've taken in ex farm chooks and while many laid fine for a year or longer some had terrible problems like eggs breaking inside of them or a prolapse as they laid so many eggs. None of which can easily be repaired and even if you did manage it, it would usually happen again. Its the intensive egg laying does it.

Feel free to drop me a PM about keeping chooks. I've kept and bred them for many years and its a true passion of mine. I can't wait to get to Aus so I can keep them again :)

For kids I like Pekins as they are much more friendly (although they do go broody at the drop of the hat and need careful management to not allow them to sit for ages else they can get really weak and even die). Or bantam breeds rather than large breeds so kids can handle them better.

Guest Guest16631

..........I've kept chickens for years and the girls I have now........12 of them I average 10 eggs a day ATM...........Wyandotte....are good layers though do tend to be bossy..........I love faverolles..........really good big bird and good with kids...........they don't mind being picked up.........do tend to be vocal...........Sussex are good layers and any of the bantam breeds...........those with feathery feet.......need to keep an eye they don't get too matted............love my hens.........all have a personality........(and a name..lol....)..............best of luck.......tink x

thanks chaps , ive enquired about the Astralorps as there are plenty in the area for sale from a day old to whatever month old you want , from $8 to $ 12 ?? just another point i have an Australian terrior , Pepper i got a feeling she would be too giddy wityh them ,so am i best keeping her out of the way while they roam , the will have their coop plus a very long run , plus a large garden when needed ..........i know i will never have trouble getting rid of the eggs free for friends or sell at work but can i mix the breed in the same coop ?

ive just started to build a new coop at my place for just 5 or so chooks but does anyone know which chooks are the best and regular layers ? I bought 30 ex cage chooks last week from my mate who has his own egg farm business in Forrestdale but they are about 15 month old ,still daily layers but that will probs ease within 12 months ,only $2.50 each though so good value............but now i want to get the chicks from young and get the most of them and be pure free range , so can you tell me the best breed to get ?:animal-chicken:

Are you allowed to keep chickens at your property?? Some areas you can't, some you can but with number restrictions, and roosters are not allowed in the metro area.

Are you allowed to keep chickens at your property?? Some areas you can't, some you can but with number restrictions, and roosters are not allowed in the metro area.

of course we are , as long as no roosters ...the council have no probs at all........are you not allowed them ?

Guest Guest16631

............all mine share a coup............if you add new ones make sure their young and put them in the coop with the others late evening............sometimes spraying everyone with some tea tree in water helps confuse who's new.................even mixing bantams and hens........a pecking order is soon established...........tink x

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I kept chickens when I was younger, I was told they wouldn't lay without a big cock, lol.

Guest The Pom Queen
Maximum of six only, and no roosters which is fair enough, who wants to be woken early every morning with a cock o doodle do, :wink:

We don't have limits but are not allowed cockerels unfortunately we got 4 day old chicks and 3 were Roos, one we took back, the lace monitor took the other and we have one left which will eventually have to go when he starts at 6am.

..........I've kept chickens for years and the girls I have now........12 of them I average 10 eggs a day ATM...........Wyandotte....are good layers though do tend to be bossy..........I love faverolles..........really good big bird and good with kids...........they don't mind being picked up.........do tend to be vocal...........Sussex are good layers and any of the bantam breeds...........those with feathery feet.......need to keep an eye they don't get too matted............love my hens.........all have a personality........(and a name..lol....)..............best of luck.......tink x

Tink,I love your avatar and your posts but can I ask why you always place dots between your words?I'm intrigued!

Guest The Pom Queen
............all mine share a coup............if you add new ones make sure their young and put them in the coop with the others late evening............sometimes spraying everyone with some tea tree in water helps confuse who's new.................even mixing bantams and hens........a pecking order is soon established...........tink x

Our 2 leghorns rule the roost.

Guest Guest16631

..........helps me read........I have rapidly failing eyesight.......I can stretch others posts on iPad.........just takes me a long time to read...........and to read back mine ..............I space what I have written...........gets worse as the night goes on lol.........tink x

Guest The Pom Queen
..........helps me read........I have rapidly failing eyesight.......I can stretch others posts on iPad.........just takes me a long time to read...........and to read back mine ..............I space what I have written...........gets worse as the night goes on lol.........tink x

You get asked so much maybe you need to have it in your signature :laugh:

Sorry Tink,did'nt realise you've been asked alot before!I now understand so thankyou for explaining xx

Tink,I love your avatar and your posts but can I ask why you always place dots between your words?I'm intrigued!

here we go again ...its a bad habbit and something we found ourselves doing for yrs .......please can we keep this thread on chooks though as i need the advice ect ...thanks

Hi, yes I have around three australorp chicks, and 5 australorp x's.

at 6 weeks old

They generally lay anytime from 18 weeks. Probably a god time would be

Young, so they get used too you and can tame. I find australorps are

Not as easy going as some other Chooks.

I have 1 week old leghorns and will have more chicks in 2 weeks with

About 5 different quality pure breeds.

Feel free too ring me as you get closer too when you need, my number is

04 mat.

They do go quick though, so if you want australorps, they will go soon.

Sent from my iPhone

ok ive been sent this reply but seems a little miss leading ...............gum tree..........think he been on the wine and thistle ......

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi, yes I have around three australorp chicks, and 5 australorp x's.

at 6 weeks old

They generally lay anytime from 18 weeks. Probably a god time would be

Young, so they get used too you and can tame. I find australorps are

Not as easy going as some other Chooks.

I have 1 week old leghorns and will have more chicks in 2 weeks with

About 5 different quality pure breeds.

Feel free too ring me as you get closer too when you need, my number is

04 mat.

They do go quick though, so if you want australorps, they will go soon.

Sent from my iPhone

ok ive been sent this reply but seems a little miss leading ...............gum tree..........think he been on the wine and thistle ......

Or the chicks come from India via Scam Post

Guest Guest16631

......with young chicks ...........up to six weeks you need starter feed..............also the smaller they are ,the easier they can escape...........Many choose point of lay..........approx 16 To 21 weeks.............