...Newbie ...

Rob the luthier

Hello all, just found this great forum and looking forward to being a part of it, my name is Rob but have been always called by my 2nd name which is appropriate for wanting to move to Australia "Shane Mitchell"lol, i come from a small fishing town called Eyemouth which is located in the Scottish borders, i am a self employed guitar maker, i have to lovely daughters 12 & 9 and my partner Gina, i am hoping to gain some advice from members of this site, we are going to an imigration fair in Edinburgh on the 23rd september to get the ins and out of moving to Australia, we are hoping to gain entry through the stength of my partners career, she is a qualified nurse and currently is a manager of a care home looking after the elderly, she is 36 yrs old and im 40, i am worrying because of my age and profession that i may be the weak link that spoils everyones chances of moving, my partners brother is now an Australian citizen and is a recruitment manager in Sydney, i dont know if this will help our cause, we are quite open minded about location, and im sure nurses are still in demand, i applied for work about 4 yeas ago at Maton guitars in Melbourne which was great as they offered to sponsor me, but i had to decline this offer as the family was'nt ready to leave, now i am 40 with an unusual trade im wondering will this be enough for our family to start a new life down under, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Regards Rob...:smile:

Hello and welcome :)

I doubt your profession will hinder your wife's application. If she is a nurse and the main applicant hopefully it'll all be fine. I am sure others will be along to shed more light.

Many people comment on Sydney being an expensive place to live and you often have to live well out in the suburbs to afford a house there. Perhaps consider other larger towns in the state. Or else a different state completely where there is a demand for your wife's profession that would also afford you a nice home and so on. Plenty of options around the country.

Anyways, feel free to make use of the forum. A thread your wife may be interested in are the nursing ones

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/54240-nurses-questions-what-you-might-need-immigration-paperwork.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/54239-nurses-questions-registrations.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/156650-pom-nurses-how-did-you-get-your-job-oz.html