Partner visa - Why do immi want health assessment on non-migrating dependent?

Guest kcnpom

Hi all!

We've just submitted our Partner Visa last week and Immi got back to us with a request to have my non-migrating son complete a health assessment.

Can anyone give me the reasons why they need this? - I have sent an email to immi but the reply is taking a while.

Background - my son is only little, his mother and I are no longer together and she has informal custody, I still support him financially and where I can. I want to have as much information as possible to help explain this to my son's mother as I don't think she will be too favourable to the idea of him undergoing this assessment.

Any help is appreciated.

Not sure you'll get much help from DIAC asking them to explain why they have their rules. They enforce legislation, not explain it, so don't ask questions!

Having said that...

I believe it is in case people suddenly change their minds and want to bring family members with them before or after grant.

if you and his mother aren't on great terms, you may need to prove you have asked if she will let him have a medical and she has said no, or not answered. You may well not be able to get a medical...and that would be OK, as long as you have tried and can prove that. If she refuses then it won't stop you from migrating.

EDIT: There are other threads on this sort of topic...http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/118873-help-non-migrating-dependent-medical.html it's not an uncommon situation

Edited by GeorgeD

Hi all!

We've just submitted our Partner Visa last week and Immi got back to us with a request to have my non-migrating son complete a health assessment.

Can anyone give me the reasons why they need this? - I have sent an email to immi but the reply is taking a while.

Background - my son is only little, his mother and I are no longer together and she has informal custody, I still support him financially and where I can. I want to have as much information as possible to help explain this to my son's mother as I don't think she will be too favourable to the idea of him undergoing this assessment.

Any help is appreciated.

You might sponsor you child later to avoid the 'one fails, all fail' health criterion.

If there is a risk that the child might not pass the medical or might not undertake one, you should take professional advice.

Edited by wrussell

Hi all!

Any help is appreciated.

He is your son too, why can't you just take him next time you have him.