RN2RAAF

Emigrating With Physical Gold

I currently have a small investment in Physical Gold and have been told by the Customs Information and Support Centre that, because it isn't coinage in current use, (gold bars) that it would be subject to Goods and Services Tax on import but, given the fineness of the metal, they would be duty free.

No details were given as to the percentage of value of GST that would be applied and I'm looking for any advice on what to do with it prior to making the move to oz or indeed any personal experience anyone has.

If gold prices go up before I emigrate, no problem, I'll sell but if they don't... :S lol

Thanks

Visas granted Aug 2013

Move set for 10 Apr 2014

Removals Uplifted Feb 2014

The normal rate of GST is 10%, but I'm not sure if that's going to be standard for your situation ... Might pay to get some expert advice (and I'm not even sure who that would be from!)

:)

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

could you not convert it into legal coinage...i.e. US Gold Eagles, Krugerrands etc....it might work out cheaper. Then you can just import based on the face value and not the gold content?

Why not just leave it in the UK either with someone you trust implicitly or some kind of safe deposit box at a bank?

Making some hay whilst the sun shines

Guest GeorgeD

Would be easy to make jewellery? Thick solid bands??