ack

Is 91k (+ super) good enough to live on??

HI all,

I know this question all depends on your style of living and is all quite subjective.

But would value peoples opinions/insights.

We are here 2months and are finally looking at long term accommodation in Hampton/Sandringham.

We have 1yr old and job comes with a car andall its expenses like insurance/petrol etc all covered.

Only my husband will be working for the next while and so our income will be 91k gross.

With having the baby we wont be doing alot of eating out and dont generally spend alot on 'entertainment' or take-aways etc

Rent will be 500 - 520p/wk for a 2 bed house.

Because we are in short term accomm its hard to tell about cost of bills like gas, broadband etc so we arent sure how much 91kwill actually go or how much of that will be taxed!

I will def say Melbourne is SO SO expensive compared to home (Ireland) but we are liking it here.

thanks for your help everyone

VETASSES Applied May; granted Sept ** IELTS (L8.5 R9 W9 S9 (Band 9)** VIC SS Appd 18/11/11, granted 6/12/11 **176 lodged 22/1/12 **CO 31/1/12 **Meds refd 9/2 finalised 13/2** PCC 20/2 **GRANTED 28/02/2012 **Hubbie leaves July 1st, baby &me Aug 14th

I think you'd be fine - depending on your lifestyle of course :)

Well I hope you guys will - I'm about to go on maternity leave and our combined income will be around about the same (but we live further out) :)

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

HI all,

I know this question all depends on your style of living and is all quite subjective.

But would value peoples opinions/insights.

We are here 2months and are finally looking at long term accommodation in Hampton/Sandringham.

We have 1yr old and job comes with a car andall its expenses like insurance/petrol etc all covered.

Only my husband will be working for the next while and so our income will be 91k gross.

With having the baby we wont be doing alot of eating out and dont generally spend alot on 'entertainment' or take-aways etc

Rent will be 500 - 520p/wk for a 2 bed house.

Because we are in short term accomm its hard to tell about cost of bills like gas, broadband etc so we arent sure how much 91kwill actually go or how much of that will be taxed!

I will def say Melbourne is SO SO expensive compared to home (Ireland) but we are liking it here.

thanks for your help everyone

Hi Ack!

We have been here just 4 days. How are you finding it? Sounds like you have settled in OK. We are renting further out in Mornington (short term) and hubby looking for a job. Would be great to meet up over the next few weeks with the kids if ya fancy? I will email you...

Take care

Emma

ACS skills assessment submitted 01/09/11 and received 13/10/11, IELTS taken 22/10/11 8.5 overall, ViC SS applied 10/11/11 and received 15/12/11, applied for 176 22/01/12, CO assigned 30/01/12, visa granted 24/03/12, one way ticket to Melbourne booked for 06/09/12!!!

You can use http://www.paycalculator.com.au to work out take home. Regarding the query, you have answered it yourself, we are all different and it is subjective. Divide by 2.2 and ask yourself could you manage on that in UK in sterling. That is all you need to know.

Otherwise you could find ten people say it is fine and ten people say it is not. Or rather ten people say it is fine and the people think it is not but dont post because anyone that says a certain salary is not enough typically gets lambasted on PIO.

There's been a few posts on what is or isn't enough. 91K + an all expensed car should be just fine.

As everyone says - subjective.

But as a guide this is around what I'm on any my OH isn't working at the moment (although looking!) and we don't have kids:

Take home per month = $5,700

Bills - Rent ($430 p/w), broadband ($40), 2 mobile phones ($60), health insurance ($128), Foxtel ($102) = $2,193.68

Left for food, incidentals etc = $3,507 ($876 per week roughly)

You'll have some months where you have gas/elec bills and if you have a car you'll obviously have fuel and transport costs to come out of what's left.

Are you on a temporary visa or a PR? If on a PR then I would say it would be plenty as you would get some payments from centrelink as well. If on a temporary visa then things might feel a bit tight but you would be able to manage if you budget carefully.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

hi guys thanksfor your replies. Yeah we have a PR visa. Wouldnt have come out here if we hadnt!

I just CANT get over how expensive it is here ..its unreal!

Purchasing power is terrible.

I have serious days when I think why did I give up my job to come out here. Its nice dont get me wrong but its not home and as a teacher (secondary) I wonder will I be able to get a job here and find affordable child care for little fellow.

We are about to sign a lease for long term accomm but I keep having waves of panic coming over me.

Yikes!!!!

VETASSES Applied May; granted Sept ** IELTS (L8.5 R9 W9 S9 (Band 9)** VIC SS Appd 18/11/11, granted 6/12/11 **176 lodged 22/1/12 **CO 31/1/12 **Meds refd 9/2 finalised 13/2** PCC 20/2 **GRANTED 28/02/2012 **Hubbie leaves July 1st, baby &me Aug 14th

hi guys thanksfor your replies. Yeah we have a PR visa. Wouldnt have come out here if we hadnt!

I just CANT get over how expensive it is here ..its unreal!

Purchasing power is terrible.

I have serious days when I think why did I give up my job to come out here. Its nice dont get me wrong but its not home and as a teacher (secondary) I wonder will I be able to get a job here and find affordable child care for little fellow.

We are about to sign a lease for long term accomm but I keep having waves of panic coming over me.

Yikes!!!!

I think you must be shopping in the wrong places if you think its that expensive. Some things dearer some cheaper so it evens out. Coles do all kinds of pasta for $1, 2 litres of milk for $2, 500g mince $3 - you cant get much cheaper than that no matter where you live. Some furniture can be expensive but if you go for the dear stuff your only buying it once, its not as if your renewing it every year.

Child care isnt that bad, it sounds a lot but by the time they take the rebate off, i get my daughter into daycare 2 days a week for less than $80 - it used to cost me 39gbp for one day at home.

Rent can be expensive depending on where you live, we are only about 45 minutes from the city and pay $340 a week. Its fine for us, we dont go into the city everyday so no point staying closer.

Some clothes are just overpriced kack! But it was exactly the same in Primark TK Max etc. You will find good deals, i got a lovely t shirt for my 2 year old for $6 in Kmart the other day - almost the same as one I have seen in Next.

Once you have been here for a while you will know where to look for the bargains! We used to live on a lot less than that, pay our own car, petrol etc, and we weren't destitute!

Edited by AJ

Guest liddell92
I think you must be shopping in the wrong places if you think its that expensive. Some things dearer some cheaper so it evens out. Coles do all kinds of pasta for $1, 2 litres of milk for $2, 500g mince $3 - you cant get much cheaper than that no matter where you live. Some furniture can be expensive but if you go for the dear stuff your only buying it once, its not as if your renewing it every year.

Child care isnt that bad, it sounds a lot but by the time they take the rebate off, i get my daughter into daycare 2 days a week for less than $80 - it used to cost me 39gbp for one day at home.

Rent can be expensive depending on where you live, we are only about 45 minutes from the city and pay $340 a week. Its fine for us, we dont go into the city everyday so no point staying closer.

Some clothes are just overpriced kack! But it was exactly the same in Primark TK Max etc. You will find good deals, i got a lovely t shirt for my 2 year old for $6 in Kmart the other day - almost the same as one I have seen in Next.

Once you have been here for a while you will know where to look for the bargains! We used to live on a lot less than that, pay our own car, petrol etc, and we weren't destitute!

i think that the Melbourne Victoria Market is good for buying food and groceries too although it is a wee trek depending on where you live. :cool: