Do you wish you'd never come?

starlight7

Like the lady says though, she has come at a bad time, with a couple of young kids. Not easy anywhere, without the probability of feeling lonely if her husband has a job and she is just stuck at home with a couple of youngsters. No-one to talk to. Youngster talk can be a bit wearing.

There is more of a chance of liking it if they gave it a bit longer than, say, a single person or married with no kids. If they really haven't settled in after 6 months and know they don't like it they can't blame it on being tied up at home without a support network.

Not saying it's bound to get better but 6 months isn't long.

is ther ever an easy time to move over tae oz?

Young couple with a good education/skills and no ties I reckon have the easiest time

Everyone else has some risks: Singles risk loneliness, Young families risk isolation if the kids aren't at school, more established families with kids of primary school age probably have lives/savings/mortgages built up at home they have to cut loose from, older families with teenagers have, well, teenagers whose views have to be considered and who may not fit in. And older people than that risk not getting a visa at all

:wink:

Young couple with a good education/skills and no ties I reckon have the easiest time

Everyone else has some risks: Singles risk loneliness, Young families risk isolation if the kids aren't at school, more established families with kids of primary school age probably have lives/savings/mortgages built up at home they have to cut loose from, older families with teenagers have, well, teenagers whose views have to be considered and who may not fit in. And older people than that risk not getting a visa at all

:wink:

aye a agree wee athing ya said ther but think every one has their ane issues wee moving oor , their ane worries etc, ma 2 lads are teenagers and aye they hiv their ane views ats for sure:laugh:

I can understand most of the points being made here. I just don't agree with putting a generic timeframe on something that is so unique to each person who makes the move. All our circumstances and experiences are probably very different. I think aus is a beautiful country and have seen some lovely places but for us as a family our quality of life was better in the uk. I don't think either country is better than the other, just different. I enjoyed our day to day living more there, the general mon to fri stuff. We had more to do as a young family ( due to affordability and also based on where we lived, things were more accessible) i will appreciate these things when we return so much more.

For me 6 months is long enough to realise this and I think by saying returning before that 2yr mark is a failure is too much pressure. This surely turns it into an endurance test if you are not happy or enjoying it. We are not heading home straight away but I agree that when you know you just know.

Lots of people say this and I would normally agree but I'm wondering if this is really the case. I've been here just under two months, I don't have a job yet (OH does), I don't have a car so can't get around easily and I don't know anyone apart from my in laws but I feel completely at home here. I only need a day in London to know I would hate living there. So why wouldn't someone know that they don't like living in a place after 6 months?

Hi sorry to but in, but we are planning a move next July to Perth and My only fear at the moment is me and wifey dont get a job within 6 weeks, just wondered how hard you have found it and if you dont mind me asking what jobs are you applying for?

Those of you who have returned to Britain, do you wish you had never come to Australia in the first place? Was it all such a hassle and so costly that you wish you had stopped at home? Or did you gain from the experience? How much disruption to your life was caused by your actions? Was it worth it? I'd just guess that most would have gained something positive from all the upheaval- but maybe not?

We are really glad we came, have learnt lots & know that our lives back in the UK will be even better for it :wink:

Hand on heart, no regrets here

Why is it seen as a failure if you return before 2 years? This is so ridiculous! We've been here 4 months and are heading back... Not because we hate it or haven't settled, it's because we were an a tight budget and work is scarce. I can, hand on my heart say I've given it 110% and have put the effort into meeting people etc but unfortunately things have conspired against us. I'll (very sadly) be going back to the UK next Monday with my head held very high because I know I did everything possible to make it work within our own parameters. Maybe the same can be said for the OP?? Why should they feel embarrassed about returning after 6 months, we have no idea what they've been through as a family and shouldn't make them feel worse by adding a "legitimate" timeframe!

When I was still living in Australia, every day I regretted ever having gone. Now that I am home, it's not so much a problem. Initially I regretted what I saw as wasting those years of my life there but now I think it's ok. I just sort of got over it. A good thing is that now that we have been and stayed so long my husband will never be able to talk me into going again, and I did love my job there x

Hi sorry to but in, but we are planning a move next July to Perth and My only fear at the moment is me and wifey dont get a job within 6 weeks, just wondered how hard you have found it and if you dont mind me asking what jobs are you applying for?

If I'm perfectly honest I'm not exactly trying too hard to find a job. I applied for one and got an interview and would have got the job but things changed at the company and they decided not to recruit anyone after all. I've sent my CV off for three other jobs but to be honest my skills are not a good fit and I wasn't really expecting anything from them. I worked in a project accounting assistant role in the UK. It's a very specific role with a very specific skill set and roles like that don't come up very often. I'm going to have to work a bit harder on my CV to make it fit to more of a finance administrator role but I'm in no rush to do so at the moment.

To the other poster - if you feel after six months that the place is mot for you and you want to go home then go for it. Providing you feel that you have really made an effort and tried to make it work then there is no shame if Auatralia is not somewhere you feel at home. Good luck.

Edited by NicF

We have been here for just over 6 months, thought about a move within oz but I don't really think that would help. Also I think it's something you would have to believe in 100% to work and after our experiences over the last few months im not feeling that brave. I know most people think that is not long enough to have given it a proper go but I feel moving home is the right thing to do for us as a family, doesn't add up for us to be here, financially and emotionally.

I certainly understand. Some people on here slaughter others for having negative thoughts, and state that you need to think postively for things to work out. In a way they are right. Once we started to have negative thoughts, everything became negative, and, to be honest, some of the things that really tipped the balance in favour of us going home are entirely ridiculous: eg. someone shouting at us in a car when we tried to cross the road, a woman abusing us in a pub because we didnt watch her kids properly while she ignored them, the driving, endlessly putting sun cream on our kids.....but then we ask ourselves: "why did we start thinking negatively" and then answer is, because, overall, having taken everything into account, we dont like it here!

At 6 months I was at my lowest point. The probelm is you cant really just bugger off to a new state, you need to see out your rental agreement or things get messy. There is a constant feeling of being trapped. We wished away the last 6 months on our first rental and then made our move. I think we underestimated how much that first year took out of us. We had some enthusiasm left but when it became clear things were not right second time around, we just dont feel we have the energy to try another place.

I sort of think, maybe, we should try another state, just so that we can really feel we have given it our all. But in reality, we will only see the bad in whereever we go now, we have made up our minds (and we were NOT like this in England!!, we moaned, of course, but we were not fed up with life, we loved it really, on reflection!).

I think if you can look yourself in the eye and know you want to go home, thats enough, 6 months, 6 years, 6 weeks? When you know you know.

Edited by blobby1000

Those of you who have returned to Britain, do you wish you had never come to Australia in the first place? Was it all such a hassle and so costly that you wish you had stopped at home? Or did you gain from the experience? How much disruption to your life was caused by your actions? Was it worth it? I'd just guess that most would have gained something positive from all the upheaval- but maybe not?
I don't think that I will ever regret living here but after 5 years I am ready to go home.i have learned what home means and I have learned the importance of feeling connected and that friendship and family are priceless. As for UK going down the tube, suggest stop reading The Daily Doom and Gloom Mail. I considered selling up in UK and buying here but the poor exchange rate and the complexities , in hindsight, worked for me. I have been blessed with the experience of living in a different culture and now my UK home is waiting there for me. Edited by brightonbee

I don't think that I will ever regret living here but after 5 years I am ready to go home.i have learned what home means and I have learned the importance of feeling connected and that friendship and family are priceless. As for UK going down the tube, suggest stop reading The Daily Doom and Gloom Mail. I considered selling up in UK and buying here but the poor exchange rate and the complexities , in hindsight, worked for me. I have been blessed with the experience of living in a different culture and now my UK home is waiting there for me.
I'll miss the coffee!!!

I certainly understand. Some people on here slaughter others for having negative thoughts, and state that you need to think postively for things to work out. In a way they are right. Once we started to have negative thoughts, everything became negative, and, to be honest, some of the things that really tipped the balance in favour of us going home are entirely ridiculous: eg. someone shouting at us in a car when we tried to cross the road, a woman abusing us in a pub because we didnt watch her kids properly while she ignored them, the driving, endlessly putting sun cream on our kids.....but then we ask ourselves: "why did we start thinking negatively" and then answer is, because, overall, having taken everything into account, we dont like it here!

At 6 months I was at my lowest point. The probelm is you cant really just bugger off to a new state, you need to see out your rental agreement or things get messy. There is a constant feeling of being trapped. We wished away the last 6 months on our first rental and then made our move. I think we underestimated how much that first year took out of us. We had some enthusiasm left but when it became clear things were not right second time around, we just dont feel we have the energy to try another place.

I sort of think, maybe, we should try another state, just so that we can really feel we have given it our all. But in reality, we will only see the bad in whereever we go now, we have made up our minds (and we were NOT like this in England!!, we moaned, of course, but we were not fed up with life, we loved it really, on reflection!).

I think if you can look yourself in the eye and know you want to go home, thats enough, 6 months, 6 years, 6 weeks? When you know you know.

Thanku for this, it's good to see how others have felt and to hear something other than its not long enough. I suppose for me it was a bit of a shock to have just not settled at all in any way. I left home for uni in my late teens and never moved back to where i was originally from, we have moved around in the uk a bit due to my husbands job and I would never have really thought of us as being home birds. Although we have a support network back at home this wasn't depended on a day to day basis, our nearest family member was at least a few hrs away. It really is a case of just not really enjoying living here, its just not for everyone. And yep-its sometimes strange the things that actually make me say "that's it I want to go home". Going to stay bit longer though and enjoy some of the nice weather that's to come. I don't feel as trapped now knowing that we have decided to move back next year but i have felt very much like this over the last couple of months, Suburban life is def not for me and that is really where we can expect to live due to work commitments and again, what we can afford.

Sounds like you have tried to make it work, having already tried one move. Moving as a family is something i really think you have to be completely behind! I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your time in oz and it's great that you are taking so many positives from it. The uk is a great place for family life too, kids aren't bothered about the weather at all and there's always lots going on. I can imagine any regrets we are feeling now will subside, we will hopefully also be taking lots of positives back with us.

Thanku for this, it's good to see how others have felt and to hear something other than its not long enough. I suppose for me it was a bit of a shock to have just not settled at all in any way. I left home for uni in my late teens and never moved back to where i was originally from, we have moved around in the uk a bit due to my husbands job and I would never have really thought of us as being home birds. Although we have a support network back at home this wasn't depended on a day to day basis, our nearest family member was at least a few hrs away. It really is a case of just not really enjoying living here, its just not for everyone. And yep-its sometimes strange the things that actually make me say "that's it I want to go home". Going to stay bit longer though and enjoy some of the nice weather that's to come. I don't feel as trapped now knowing that we have decided to move back next year but i have felt very much like this over the last couple of months, Suburban life is def not for me and that is really where we can expect to live due to work commitments and again, what we can afford.

Sounds like you have tried to make it work, having already tried one move. Moving as a family is something i really think you have to be completely behind! I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your time in oz and it's great that you are taking so many positives from it. The uk is a great place for family life too, kids aren't bothered about the weather at all and there's always lots going on. I can imagine any regrets we are feeling now will subside, we will hopefully also be taking lots of positives back with us.

Good idea to stay a bit longer and enjoy the spring

weather! Start of UK summer is ideal time to relocate back but appreciate this is not always possible

It was a very costly,emotional experience that I personally won't recommend for the faint hearted. however my daughter gained a lot more confidence. You need mega bucks behind you to attempt this upheaval.