Campervan Conversion From Panelvan (VW Transporter, Toyota Hiace)

Guest radiance

Guest radiance

Hello, first post :)

A quick descroiption of my plans: I just got a WHV, I am planning to move to Perth in Jan 2013 (can't wait), travel a few months then look for a proper job and sponsorship (I am a mathematician with work experience in finance, looking to find a job in minig/oil&gas/ressources).

Before starting travelling I am planning to buy a straight panelval - VW Transporter or Toyota Hiace - and then convert it myself to campervan adding furniture, fridge, sink, kitchenette....

In the UK self-conversion perfectly feasible and legal, the van can be re-registered as campervan with the DVLA. How does that work out in Australia?

Thank you in advance!

Radiance

Have you had a quick look on Gumtree or Ebay ? Over here there are loadsss of these vans already converted and ready to go, most have been previously used by backpackers so have lots of little extras thrown in with the price. Finance wise i think this would be better than buying the van, converting it and having it inspected and re registered.

Cal x

Bear in mind panel vans aren't insulated or ventilated for sleeping in, could get a bit cold and damp at nights. We had a 'home conversion' they'd used rock wool to insulate and where the damp had collected it had rusted through the panels, still live and learn. I did see a tent (like a roof box) that can go on top of a roof rack looked quite cool.

Guest radiance

Thanks guys. I actually searched for ready campervans on ebay already (will check gumtree) but they look very pricy and with loads of kms. I was looking for a van with 100k-120k kms, 4x4, seems to be feasible with $20k-$25k. I thought insulation is not necessary if living in Perth?

Guest radiance

Roof tent is also a possible solution, seen a few for 1k-1.5k. Personally I am against insulation because the van could rot from inside (a good vapour barrier is hard to achieve) and would rather run an additional heater if it gets cold (eberspacher)... Converting a panelval yourself works so much cheaper... Moreover i'll have plentt if time while looking for a job :)

Guest littlesarah

DIY conversion is an option, but the UK and Australia both require that any electrical and/or gas installation comply with relevant legislation and are certified as such. So, if you're thinking of a 2- or 3- way fridge, that will have to be put in by a pro (or if you do it yourself, you'll have to find someone to inspect & certify it).

Professionally converted vans are expensive whichever country you're in (in my experience), largely because it takes time, effort and money to fit them out.

I'm assuming you have the skills/experience and tools necessary to make the components you need? It would be hard to make a van interior with just hand tools, I reckon. Although if you went simple, with just a bed platform and everything else freestanding it wouldn't be too difficult I guess. I would suggest making sure you can remove your stove if you want to - that way you can cook outside when it's warm (save making a hot van even hotter), or if you're having something strong-smelling for dinner.

Our old Kombi was most certainly not insulated - but making a cuppa used to take the chill off!! We managed OK, even in Tassie in late Autumn (though it was pretty parky first thing in Cradle Mountain!). Just having the mattress off the van floor helps.

It's all very exciting - hope you have a lovely trip.

I've been looking into this, having owned a VW T25 at home, I think it is very achievable against the cost of a decent van that has already been converted.

As been said gas and electrics are the only thing you'd have to pay to get fitted. Beds, cupboards, sinks, worktop would be no problem. Just get your framework right.

If you're going to the next level.....fitted toilet and shower I'm not sure it would stack up financially.

Guest radiance

I've had a quick look at gumtree and actually there are quite a few cheap campervans on sale, much more than on ebay.

But they are really old, self converted (that's why they're cheap) and have loads of kms on the odo!! Coachbuilt campervans are much more pricey but they're very good quality and robust!!!

TBH I prefer buying a newer blank canvas, reliable (around 100k kms), and 4x4. Somehing i can use as a daily drive too without looking too hippie. It has to looks like a straight van from the outside (no poptop).

I'll surely get the plumbing and electrics bits done professionally (I've found these conversion company in Perth www.dovecampers.com.au), and the rest by myself. I have quite good DYI skills and my father who is a carpenter will come over on a holiday to help me out. I'll be fitting the kitchen at the back as a pull-out unit for cooking outside the van.

I am really looking forward to going kitesurfing and wild camping on weekends!!!