Guest Laura111

Baby healthcare facilities, groups etc.

Guest Laura111

Hello,

I'm moving to Melbourne in a couple of weeks with my husband and 4 month old son. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything similar to the children's centre we have in the UK? Some kind of facility where you can drop in, chat to health visitors about any concerns, get baby weighed, attend talks on weening, first aid etc., mother and baby groups......they provide a really good service!

Our move is really last minute and we still have an insane amount of stuff to sort out so I would also really appreciate any advice about good areas to live. My husband's job is in Broadmeadows (although we have been advised not to live here). We'll be renting and probably on quite a limited budget at first. Ideally I'd like to be near somewhere with a few things going on, especially baby groups. I'm feeling a bit anxious about being completely on my own as we have been lucky enough to have such a great support network in the UK.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

They have those sort of health centres in Brisbane so good chance Melbourne does as well.

This is the Brisbane version if it helps you find the Melbourne one at all: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rch/professionals/cchs_0-12.asp

You should also look at playgroups for outings with fellow parents: http://www.playgroup.org.au/

Edited by fish.01

Yes they have clinics with nurses /midwives in Melbourne and all the suburbs. They also have mothers' groups for mums of young babies- they often meet at the Infant welfare clinic , usually weekly and then later on monthly. At first the clinic sister runs them but later they go to each other's houses. I have the impression they are not as frequently used as the ones in the UK but from my children and grandchildren I know they have the regular normal checks there like 3 month, 6 month, a year etc when they do the weighing and measuring and milestones etc. There is also a 'nurse on call' service where you can ring for advice etc.- free.

Hi, we too had quite a last minute move with a 6 month old so know how overwhelming it is! Can't help you on the location front as we are in Mentone and I don't know the Broadmeadows areas at all.

I know exactly what you mean by the clinics that you can pop into in the UK - they don't seem to have these here as such but do have maternal health nurses as has already been mentioned. I popped down to my local council office when we arrived and got an appointment with the nurse who spent a good 30 minutes with us giving my little one a pretty thorough checkup - you'll probably find that they will advise you on injections too as it's slightly different here so we had to play catch up, but everything was explained in great detail.

You can contact the nurse whenever you need to and I have friends here who call regularly (and make appointments to pop in) for info on things like feeding, sleeping etc so they are very accessible. I was told that as my little one was 6 months old it wasn't worth putting me in touch with a group of mothers as their network would already be established. This was quite disheartening but to be honest I have met lots of people and have some lovely friends now. I met these through my daughter's swimming lessons (just find your local leisure centre and call them, or Google swimming lessons in the area) and through playgroup and classes such as Gymbaroo.

Please don't worry - I too had a lovely network in the UK, including my mum just around the corner but as I've said, now have a lovely network here too and haven't thought about going back once in the 9 months we've been here. I'm even having another baby with no immediate family here so it can't be that bad!

You'll obviously be pretty far from me when you arrive but if you do need anything please get in touch.

Edited by DBC

I know exactly what you mean by the clinics that you can pop into in the UK - they don't seem to have these here as such ...

Just a note that AussieAbroad posted a link above to a list of Vic Child Health Centres in case you didn't realise they existed...

Oh, thanks! I'll take a look and see if there is one near me.

Nope, none near me which is probably why I hadn't heard of them. Thanks for the tip though.

Good suggestions above. Also try your local library as they also run story times for babies and toddlers. If you can't join a mothers group ask the nurse if there are any other groups you can join. At the clinic there are always notices about groups you can join - breastfeeding groups, mums under 25, etc. I'm going to attend a free sleep clinic tomorrow so lots of facilities for mums.

I had my baby here but as she was my third I wasn't supposed to get a Mothers Group but asked the nurse and she included me in one which has been a lifesaver. I also take my baby to a playgroup and a music class.

Also check out Essential Baby for local forums and discussions which also helps to get into the Ozzie groove a bit!!

With regards to areas to live in we live in Outer Eastern Melbourne - areas around here are North Ringwood, Warranwood, North Croydon etc. but I see it's about an hour from Broadmeadows. So you might be better off looking at areas in the West like Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes etc. - lots of poms live there.

Good luck!

Edited by Sibella

Guest Laura111

Thank you so much for all of your advice, really kind of you all to take the time to help out. Cheers!

I was going to suggest the library too to meet other mums! Seems to be good spot

Am here a month now with my little fella (I say that as he is about to celebrate his first birthday!)

VETASSES Applied May; granted Sept ** IELTS (L8.5 R9 W9 S9 (Band 9)** VIC SS Appd 18/11/11, granted 6/12/11 **176 lodged 22/1/12 **CO 31/1/12 **Meds refd 9/2 finalised 13/2** PCC 20/2 **GRANTED 28/02/2012 **Hubbie leaves July 1st, baby &me Aug 14th