What have you sacrificed to move to Australia?

blobby1000

Because we could, had top lives in UK, so had opportunity to try somewhere else, only live once. some realise they have even better lives here, others realise they had better lives back home, others see it as no better no worse just different, and who says it has to be permanent move either way.

I understand if you have the money to just try somewhere different for sh*ts & giggles , but I'm seeing lots of comments where people are financially 'ruined' by the move they regret. Seems such a gamble to take if that's the possibility especially if you love your uk life. People go over with no job/ prospect of a job....I wonder how they got a visa in the first place sometimes . Not having a go at anyone but I am gob smacked by the risks people seem to take for not much gain ( in some cases).

Guest guest68546

I came with the attitude that if Australia wasn't for me, I'd have a plan B alternative; plan B was to keep my flat in Glasgow and have enough put away for a flight and some emergency living costs. I moved because I could, not because I was running away from something or that there was a dislike to where I was. For those reasons I don't think I would have sunk my life savings into making the move. I also don't buy into this 'Australians are rude' nonsense; rude people are rude the world over irrespective of nationality. I've made many friends of all nationalities, which naturally includes Aussies, during my time here. In the several places I've worked at and the company personnel I've met, I've never encountered any discrimination so not all of Australians are predjudiced. By and large, I've been well received and helped. As for the weather, take away the extreme heat and cold periods and Melbourne is like the Uk for 8 months of the year there isn't really too much change to adapt to. Adelaide is slightly different but take away a couple of months of extreme heat and you are left with a pleasant climate for 10 months of the year.

The point of the above narrative? In short, I can truly say I have sacrificed nothing by coming to Australia but if I stay, I fear I may be sacrificing family relationships.

Edited by guest68546

Guest guest36187

I think for me, I didn't feel that I had sacrificed anything initially. I was moving house and that was how I viewed it. I think by viewing it that simply it enabled me to strip the emotion away And deal with it better.

looking back now, I sacrificed prescious time with my nan. I missed my step kids growing up. I missed my cousins growing from boys to men and I just missed being able to pick up the phone whenever I wanted for a chat with someone. You can't do that with a ten hour time difference!!!

This thread does make you think. To be a successful immigrant you do need to be a little selfish and tune out the emotion to a degree.

Guest guest36187
I don't really understand why so many people who 'had it all' in the uk and were perfectly happy with their perfect life/ jobs/ house near a beach/ close family and friends....., why they thought they needed to move to the other side of the world ??!

We came over having never visited! We had a nice house, a rental property, close family, hubby had two 17yr olds, friends and good jobs. Why did we move? W moved because my hubby had always wanted to. It wasn't a NEED to move to the other side of the world. W had an opportunity presented to us through my work and we grabbed it!

The bonus for us was the rate was $2.53 to the pound when we came! Big difference to now!!!

almost eight years on, life's still bloody good and in three weeks ish, I head back for my first visit!

I thought I would add my comments to points OP made.

* We have no family here in Australia and we also have not made any friends. Mainly our fault though, we have not tried very hard and are naturlaly probably loners. I have found Australian's nothing but warm and friendly though and we both get along with our work colleagues and fitted in at work straight away.

* I am not sure what we spend, maybe £25k getting visa, moving and getting up and running.

* Our UK car was probably ready to be traded in anyway.

* I took a job probably at the same or slightly higher level than I previously had. The OH initially took a little step back but was soon promoted and is now further on than in UK.

* We left a house we loved in the UK and could have been mortgage free in the next few years. Here we rent, however we rent a house we like.

* We left a few wicker baskets too. :biggrin:

So overall, leaving family and leaving our house were the two biggest sacrifices.

2 years ago when we were blindly doing everything we could to get out here we had to make certain sacrifices to get here, what have other people had to do and has it been worth it?

*Most importantly we left all our friends and family back on the other side of the world to come out here.

*We dont have family here and have found it hard to make friends

*We spent something approaching 35k to get out here (4k shipping, 4k dog, 12k start up money,3k flights, 2k temporary accommodation)

*Sold the best car we have ever had, a 12 year old thing with 42k miles on the clock, for virtually nothing)

*I left my job after 2 years of being a mental health nurse on a ward where I was apparently next in line for a Charge Nurse job.

*I had to start at the bottom again and have just got to the same point that I was in the UK 2 years ago.

*In the UK we own 2 houses (heavily mortgaged) rent one out and lived in one and have not rented for 12 years.

*The first year out here we lived in a freezing cold, damp house with toilets from the 1970s that didnt flush and a landlord that refused to fix anything.

*This year we have lived in a freezing cold, damp house, and a landlord that refuses to fix anything and an evil real estate agent terrorising us at every turn.

*My wife had to leave behind all her wicker baskets!!

*Our oldest son (aged 5) would have started school in September 2011.

*When we return Jan 2013 will be 4 terms behind the British based kids.

The point is, is it worth making all the sacrifices to get out here? And, does the fact the sacrifices have to made make it harder to settle here (due to feeling life would have to be amazing in order to make the sacrifices worthwhile........."amazing" being almost impossible to find anywhere)

In conclusion, we went form living in our own home, being respected at work, having loads and loads of mates, family all in the UK, to living in a damp chilly house, having to start again at work and having to find new friends and have messed up the start of our son's education

Would you have come if you had known what it involved!? (for me, no!)

Guest Guest63690
Well I am back in the UK now. But to move to Oz in 2007 I sacrificed my family and my friends and everything I love about the UK (which is a lot). x x

I hope now your back home your getting things back on track with your family and friends so the sacrifice was not permanent. Do you feel the experience of leaving has in any way enhanced those relationships?

Fourcorners....... ".....Hobbies. I no longer go horse riding due to limited opportunities here....."

Good Heavens girl - you just ain't in the right place - Australia is awash with horses !!!

The horse-riding/working horse tradition is alive & well Down Under !

I'm sure you're there in Kalgoorlie for a work reason - but in some parts of Australia it's been said there are more head of horse than humans (Toowoomba)....

So don't give up hope on that one....

Reading some of the posts it's clear that those with a lot to lose felt they lost it.....

To give a balance - I have found Australians to be some of the most loving & helpful on the planet...but then what is an Australian ? Someone from somewhere else originally....

" I am, you are, we are Australians "

Answering the OP question - what did I sacrifice ?

Nothing, really - If you got nothin' you got nothin' to lose.....

And I've been back for three years caring for my Mum (OK, having the freedom to do that because I'm retired, I admit...) but the fact that Australia is home doesn't stop me planning more trips - have friends in Barcelona - never been - & Cornwall - love it....

I don't think anyone should feel bad that they want to go 'back' to England or 'back' again....it matters because ?

It's whatever makes them happy & we're all different.... :yes:

http://www.kalgoorlieponyclub.com ..... Hope this is helpful - ALL PCs are grateful for 'on-the-ground' members & I'd be surprised if someone didn't have a spare horse - many people have spare stock horse in the back paddock & they're the best horses in the world - an Australian stock horse who knows what its doing.....

AND they've got a Grade A Cross-Country Course !!!! May have to go there myself.... !

Edited by Galahad
Added link to Pony Club

I hope now your back home your getting things back on track with your family and friends so the sacrifice was not permanent. Do you feel the experience of leaving has in any way enhanced those relationships?

Unfortunately I have lost some of my friends:sad:. My relationship with my brother was initially quite strained when I got back but now it back to what it was. I think he felt he had nothing in common with me anymore. My parents are great and my relationship with them has always been good, unfortunately because I have had a bit of a mood problem for the past few years (from which I am now recovering.... I think and hope), my mum seems to think I am a bit unstable and paranoid and cannot see when my real thoughts are just normal thoughts, where I think if she had been with me while I was most unwell she would realise when I am making sense. It is unexpected people, old friends whom I have kind of had more in common with since I returned. So, my relationships have needed building on, which I never noticed at first but then I was away for 5 years so I suppose some things were bound to change.

We have sacrified quite a lot but I hope most of it is recoverable at some point. We knew we would take a step down the ladder but there are more steps up hopefully.

Financially we are worse off as DH has come as a Supervisor rather than a Manager. Just hoping it doesn't take up too long to work up a bit.

House ownership - I prefer the layouts of the houses here to mine in the UK (3 storey town house) but I really hate renting again. 7 weeks without a dishwasher at the moment for one thing.

Family - but some have been to visit and more will be coming soon. We lived a few hours away from the nearest relatives so didn't live in each others' pockets.

My job - really enjoyed it most of the time and it requires retraining here which I can't afford to do a 457. Enjoying being at home with DD at the moment but will need something to aim for when she is in Kindy/school.

It does feel like we have gone backwards a bit and we knew it would be a risk but we would've really regretted it if we hadn't done it. Just hoping it will all work out for us in the longterm as we love Australia.

I hope that when you come back to the UK everything is as you want it to be. the grass always seems greener, and I know people who have come back and majorly regret the decision.

I hope you and your family find your peace somewhere.

The majority regret the decision????????. Oh! wait a minute, you're still in the UK, figures.

does feel like we have gone backwards a bit and we knew it would be a risk but we would've really regretted it if we hadn't done it.

Totally know where you are coming from!

We were very comfortable at home (2 well payed jobs, low mortgage, plenty of free cash, vw campervan) but we both wanted to come and experience living in another country.

Once the train of thought was we are going to do this, you start thinking about the "what ifs"...... if the visa hadn't have been successful or some other reason made it not possible to go.

I think a lot of folks put too much pressure on themselves......yeah we've given a lot up and it might not be forever, but in 40/50 years time we'll either be sitting in Oz thinking how glad we are that we moved or back in the UK thinking what a great experience we had when we went and lived the other side of the world!

I know I might get slated for this but I don't see the point of the folks who have moved back home being on this forum. If it hasn't worked out for them they'll never (maybe the odd one) be able to give a balanced view. There will also be the group that couldn't get the visa they wanted giving their opinions.

Yeah we've given a lot up, but wouldn't change it for the world (at the minute!) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[QUOTE=dalejaneaustralia;1935960589]Totally know where you are coming from!

..........I know I might get slated for this but I don't see the point of the folks who have moved back home being on this forum. If it hasn't worked out for them they'll never (maybe the odd one) be able to give a balanced view. There will also be the group that couldn't get the visa they wanted giving their opinions........

If the views of people who have returned to the UK are not relevant to some posters, that’s fine I think. But as a significant number of migrants return to the UK each year (up to 30% according to some statistics) I guess there are others who might appreciate a bit of support from people who understand the issues they are dealing with? Personally I struggle more with posts that ridicule people’s reasons for wanting to return to the UK, particularly if they are written by people with little or no experience of living in Australia themselves (not saying you are doing this dalejaneaustralia - just a general observation).

Edited by tea4too

[QUOTE=dalejaneaustralia;1935960589]Totally know where you are coming from!

..........I know I might get slated for this but I don't see the point of the folks who have moved back home being on this forum. If it hasn't worked out for them they'll never (maybe the odd one) be able to give a balanced view. There will also be the group that couldn't get the visa they wanted giving their opinions........

If the views of people who have returned to the UK are not relevant to some posters, that’s fine I think. But as a significant number of migrants return to the UK each year (up to 30% according to some statistics) I guess there are others who might appreciate a bit of support from people who understand the issues they are dealing with? Personally I struggle more with posts that ridicule people’s reasons for wanting to return to the UK, particularly if they are written by people with little or no experience of living in Australia themselves (not saying you are doing this dalejaneaustralia - just a general observation).

I agree that there could and should be a lot of great information to be shared, but lately (certainly on CTF threads) there just seems to be a lot of slating Oz......clearly from folks whose dream move hasn't worked out.

And no I wouldn't ever ridicule the reasons people's reasons for moving home.

I totally do not understand why some people think if you moved back home you shouldn't be on the forum, or I suppose to quote more clearly, that there is no point to being on the forum. Besides this very thread is on the MBTTUK part of the forum.

I am on the forum because, I know many people on the forum, support people and they support me, and also as I have mentioned recently it is a social thing for me. I have never been a member of a forum before and have never found one since which has such a range of topics.

I can totally give a balanced view. I do not like to live in Australia but I do see why people do. I can see the benefits and I don't tell horror stories, if I do it is not intentional and it's more about me than the country. I KNOW that living in Australia for me failed because I simply did not want to live there and it wasn't right for me. I do not see why I should leave a forum which is one of the best places I come to for a laugh and a cry and a let go here and there.

Also, the forum goes through phases there will be times when AUstralia is slagged and times when the UK is slagged it's just one of those things.

Edited by whichway1

I totally do not understand why some people think if you moved back home you shouldn't be on the forum, or I suppose to quote more clearly, that there is no point to being on the forum. Besides this very thread is on the MBTTUK part of the forum.

I am on the forum because, I know many people on the forum, support people and they support me, and also as I have mentioned recently it is a social thing for me. I have never been a member of a forum before and have never found one since which has such a range of topics.

I can totally give a balanced view. I do not like to live in Australia but I do see why people do. I can see the benefits and I don't tell horror stories, if I do it is not intentional and it's more about me than the country. I KNOW that living in Australia for me failed because I simply did not want to live there and it wasn't right for me. I do not see why I should leave a forum which is one of the best places I come to for a laugh and a cry and a let go here and there.

Also, the forum goes through phases there will be times when AUstralia is slagged and times when the UK is slagged it's just one of those things.

I think where the topic is posted is irrelevant. If you are being picky, this post is in "Moving" back to the uk......by the looks of it you have already "moved".

No one is saying you should leave the forum, I said I don't see the point of people being on the forum once they have moved back.....you said you can't understand why people think you shouldn't be on here once you've moved back.......they are just two opinions.

All I'm saying in my experience there is a clear negative vibe on most of the posts I read from people who have moved back. There are so many *** for tat posts which again in my opinion are pointless and do nothing to help people who are looking to move to oz.

I've been on here since I started my visa process and there has been a constant slagging of Oz and in my opinion it didn't help me whatsoever! It just filled my "new topics" page with unhelpful posts.

I said I don't see the point of people being on the forum once they have moved back

I guess some feel they are part of the community and don't want to give that up. They don't necessarily need a "point". That's not how forums work......example, I post on a UK bikers forum which I've been on since the year dot. I don't ride bikes any more (gave them up 6 years ago after 15 years on 'em) and neither am I in the UK, but I still post there, because those people (well some of them) are my mates

All I'm saying in my experience there is a clear negative vibe on most of the posts I read from people who have moved back.

There are bound to be, I guess. People are going to move back for a reason after all. I think you just have to accept some people are going to post after they've moved back, and many of those are likely to do so from a generally anti-Oz point of view and get over it. There are plenty of people posting from a positive point of view as well, both those who are here and those who are looking to get here

There are so many *** for tat posts which again in my opinion are pointless and do nothing to help people who are looking to move to oz.

Forums create arguments, again that's unavoidable. This isn't a bland information service for prospective migrants, it's a forum and you are going to get opinions and contrary opinions, again that's the point. The forum doesn't purely exist just to "help people who are looking to move to oz". It's one of many information sources they can use in their journey, or not as the case may be. But it's up to them what they choose to read, believe or listen to. Doesn't mean if there's stuff posted they don't agree with or don't want to listen to, that that stuff is wrong

I've been on here since I started my visa process and there has been a constant slagging of Oz and in my opinion it didn't help me whatsoever! It just filled my "new topics" page with unhelpful posts.

I think if you step back and look at it objectively (which I know is hard), there aren't many posters who routinely slag off the entire country and their experience of living there for the sake of it. A handful of them. You can identify them fairly quickly and just ignore them if you don't want to hear what they have to say, it's not hard. Even use the ignore list function if you really think they've lost the plot, that's what it's for. IMO most people who have moved back and didn't get on with Oz go out of their way to express that this is merely their experience, not that it has tobe that way for everyone else

Edited by northshorepom

What did we sacrifice? Nothing.

I guess it depends on your situation in England and what you come to in Oz to determine what you look back on to think you sacrificed.

We are young, still (just!) in our twentys with no commitments in terms of house ownership and children. I had a good job in the UK, but I've taken a big step up in my career since coming to Australia a year ago, no going backwards for me. OH had been made redundant for the second time and was not relishing the idea of signing on again. Ok, so his contract has just ended and he's not got anything else lined up (so life isn't perfect!), but my salary more than covers our living expenses so we aren't worried.

We rented a nice house in Windsor, we rent a relatively cheap and nice flat in Subiaco.

We came with £5k in the bank and lots of debt, we've still got £5k in the bank and were almost debt free.

Missing friends and family? Meh, not really. I speak to my parents more here than I did when I was in the UK, and probably see them as often as well (we've been home once, they've been here once and we are going back to England for Christmas). We didn't live near any of our 'real' friends anyway, so only saw them every couple of months.

I can certainly see the negatives in uprooting your family when you have lots of ties to England. But for us anyway it was probably the best thing we ever did. Not saying we won't go back though, it's always been the OH's intention to return, so we'll see!

This is it for me. Younger folk can come out here with far fewer sacrafices than those older with children, ageing parents and advanced careers.

My OH are in a similar boat as Nicola and our careers, pay, etc have increased since moving here from London so no looking back on that front. Yes you miss family and freinds to a certain extent but with so much technology available, it is easy to keep in touch. And of course, more disposable cash means more trips back (if desired).

I can't understand why many would give up so much in the UK in order to improve on the already 'good lives'.

Point of the story - do it when you are young! If not, then expect to take a few backward steps financially, professionally and emotionally.