Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

Fustrations? Im not fustrated, I've lived in a few different countries in my time and from actual experience I know for a fact the UK will provide a better life for my family. Perhaps you are the one who is fustrated.....where have you lived?

I commented that the majority of ex-pats I have met are not so happy here and may I add its certainly more than a handful. I am bringing my kids back for a better quality of life an d getting to know and spend time with their extended family.......as for unemployment I don't actually know anyone in the UK who is unemployed or has lost their job and I'm not sure sending a 7 year old and two 5 year olds out to work would go down too well with the authorities!!! I'm certainly not worried!!

Perhaps you should try living here for yourself before deciding for other people where the "better life" may be.

Ah goody! This gives me my opening. As a newish (I wuz 'ere, but whence I know not), personage to these halls it took a wee whiley for me to suss that the afore posterperson being commented upon, was not even living yur!

I'm not sure whether to just take the comments of a non-resident who incessantly patronises Australian residents with his strident defence of Australia, as if he knows better than those who actually LIVE here with a pantechnicon of salt, or

feel a sense of sadness for the pathetic attempt to prove allegiance to Australia by comparatively demeaning his country of residence at every opportunity.

I have to wonder Ropey Hoff (because it is unkind to talk about you and not to you)-how many British posters on any UK site you...might..belong to? are giving you a serve because you are critical of all things British?

And you are going to say you don't demean the UK aren't you? How about conceding that if you consistently elevate all things Australia, you are diminishing all things British?

Are you coming to Australia,-or are you not feeling too welcome in Britain?

I truthfully would like to know about this.

Edited by Zee
'with' turned into ---- ?

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go find a friend you loner

Naughty, naughty! I go to lotsa places on my own. surflen22 is right. I quoted for one.

And I still think those prices are disgraceful.

...oh yes! And we DO pay higher prices for the cinema here. 'parently the US is half the price. Don't know about Blighty.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Ah goody! This gives me my opening. As a newish (I wuz 'ere, but whence I know not), personage to these halls it took a wee whiley for me to suss that the afore posterperson being commented upon, was not even living yur!

I'm not sure whether to just take the comments of a non-resident who incessantly patronises Australian residents with his strident defence of Australia, as if he knows better than those who actually LIVE here----a pantechnicon of salt, or

feel a sense of sadness for the pathetic attempt to prove allegiance to Australia by comparatively demeaning his country of residence at every opportunity.

I have to wonder Ropey Hoff (because it is unkind to talk about you and not to you)-how many British posters on any UK site you...might..belong to? are giving you a serve because you are critical of all things British?

And you are going to say you don't demean the UK aren't you? How about conceding that if you consistently elevate all things Australia, you are diminishing all things British?

Your the type of moaning, whinging Pom that starts arguments on here and then you moan and whinge about it when it gets personal, stop yer whining and come home, being negative and down all the time isn't good for your health.

Naughty, naughty! I go to lotsa places on my own. surflen22 is right. I quoted for one.

And I still think those prices are disgraceful.

...oh yes! And we DO pay higher prices for the cinema here. 'parently the US is half the price. Don't know about Blighty.

8.80 GBP per adult and 6.40 GBP per child at my old local in Huntingdon.

Guest Guest63690
Unemployment is almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, so whatever the figures are, it's far better in the land of plenty downunder. Yer can't believe the serveys anyway, apparently there's a big conspiracy against the UK and in favour of Oz, lol.

Just to clarify this once and for all. Australia's unemployment rate is currently 5.2%. In the UK it stands at 8%. I do not consider the UK rate to be almost double the rate in Australia, but maybe that is just me.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/unemployment-rate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19259913

And it should also be remembered that there are huge regional variations in unemployment rates in the UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117 with many areas having a much lower unemployment rate than the overall rate in Oz. Hence why a few of us in this thread have stated we do not personally know of anyone who is unemployed. Of course there will be huge regional variations in unemployment in Australia also.

Edited by Guest63690

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Just to clarify this once and for all. Australia's unemployment rate is currently 5.2%. In the UK it stands at 8%. I do not consider the UK rate to be almost double the rate in Australia, but maybe that is just me.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/unemployment-rate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19259913

And it should also be remembered that there are huge regional variations in unemployment rates in the UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117 with many areas having a much lower unemployment rate than the overall rate in Oz. Hence why a few of us in this thread have stated we do not personally know of anyone who is unemployed. Of course there will be huge regional variations in unemployment in Australia also.

Yer figures are almost correct and ...... Unemployment is almost, I repeat ..... Almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, it's clearly far better in the land of plenty.

Your the type of moaning, whinging Pom that starts arguments on here and then you moan and whinge about it when it gets personal, stop yer whining and come home, being negative and down all the time isn't good for your health.

You do get worked up don't you? You've just given EIW a 'gutter' status elsewhere, and now me! This is a discussion forum not the United Nations!

I actually addressed you and asked for your response. Believe it or not, I wanted to know. This is all you can manage? You get so heated RH.

'Moan and whinge when it gets personal'........

.....can you see any irony in that statement?

It really is in the eye of the beer holder isn't it? To the ordinary Britisher I'm fairly certain that you would come across as a moaning whinger (nice to see you already practice the Aussie jargon!), just exactly as you define me here.

The only difference being that I doubt that they would get so sensitive about your negative view of Britain, more likely they would just see you as a plonker.

When we are not here we just live life as you do. Don't get so angry; it's pointless.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You do get worked up don't you? You've just given EIW a 'gutter' status elsewhere, and now me! This is a discussion forum not the United Nations!

I actually addressed you and asked for your response. Believe it or not, I wanted to know. This is all you can manage? You get so heated RH.

'Moan and whinge when it gets personal'........

.....can you see any irony in that statement?

It really is in the eye of the beer holder isn't it? To the ordinary Britisher I'm fairly certain that you would come across as a moaning whinger (nice to see you already practice the Aussie jargon!), just exactly as you define me here.

The only difference being that I doubt that they would get so sensitive about your negative view of Britain, more likely they would just see you as a plonker.

When we are not here we just live life as you do. Don't get so angry; it's pointless.

I get targeted by you moaners regular, I never start the slagging hoff, or the getting personal, but I do reply to it, I am used to you whinging poms trying it on with me, I don't know you, you have only a handful of posts on here, but you quickly tried to single me out for confrontation, I suppose I should feel flattered that being a Plonker as you called me, irks you so much. Come on ....... Cheer up love, yer sound miserable.

Australia isn't all good! Our wonderful premier has laid off some nurses in QLD.....claiming they aren't frontline staff??

I'm not sure that is the case. My understanding is that townsville hospital was presented with budget cuts and management chose to cut nursing jobs rather than their own.

My OH sat in on a budget meeting today and refused to present her budget due to certain constraints that are being implemented already.................Spewman only opened his "can do' gob a few days ago and already the proverbial brown stuff is hitting the fan..................I just hope he cops for most of it.

Guest guest36187
I'm not sure that is the case. My understanding is that townsville hospital was presented with budget cuts and management chose to cut nursing jobs rather than their own.

My OH sat in on a budget meeting today and refused to present her budget due to certain constraints that are being implemented already.................Spewman only opened his "can do' gob a few days ago and already the proverbial brown stuff is hitting the fan..................I just hope he cops for most of it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/premier-campbell-newman-denies-government-is-sacking-frontline-staff-despite-loss-of-45-nurses-in-townsville/story-e6freon6-1226464504947

Just going by what I read in the courier mail today. Funding has already been cut in areas by our delightful government......this just wouldn't surprise me

Guest The Pom Queen
I get targeted by you moaners regular, I never start the slagging hoff, or the getting personal, but I do reply to it, I am used to you whinging poms trying it on with me, I don't know you, you have only a handful of posts on here, but you quickly tried to single me out for confrontation, I suppose I should feel flattered that being a Plonker as you called me, irks you so much. Come on ....... Cheer up love, yer sound miserable.

For goodness sake stop getting personal, if it's not with PB it's with someone else, now both of you stop it please

Yer figures are almost correct and ...... Unemployment is almost, I repeat ..... Almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, it's clearly far better in the land of plenty.

But ones in recession and the others not...! It's like comparing a fiesta to a range rover, judge the unemployment rate prior to this recession on an average to Australia and you see the two countries are not too different. Would you compare rates if it was the other way round...?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
But ones in recession and the others not...! It's like comparing a fiesta to a range rover, judge the unemployment rate prior to this recession on an average to Australia and you see the two countries are not too different. Would you compare rates if it was the other way round...?

That would be the job for the moaners in Australia, they would have a field day having some real factual evidence of doom there, I only post it when people who don't like Australia try to make out it is worse than what it is, I like to stick with facts, rather than, my mates, uncles cousins aunty has a job in the UK, so it can't be so bad, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
For goodness sake stop getting personal, if it's not with PB it's with someone else, now both of you stop it please

I only reply to personal attacks Kate, I will stop when they stop the attacks, I think that's fair.

Guest Guest63690

If the UK rate was double that of the rate in oz, there would be 10.4% unemployment. That is quitea different figure to 8%, but as I said, this is a lot to do with personal perception. And you make no reference to regional variations, which mean that vast swathes of people in the Uk, are living in a region with low unemployment. Some of us are already living in the land of milk and honey, along with the additional blessing of living in a country only a stones throw from Europe, with all that wonderful variation in climate, language and culture, with family and life long friends near by to call upon if we need them or they of course need us, in a country where if you want to go out for the day, you don't have to go far to get anywhere 1. interesting/historical 2. beautiful 3. Cultural 4. Fun 5.Free And though I recognise from your posts that weather is a huge issue for you (and of course there are huge regional variations in this area too), for many the weather in the UK, with its seasonal variations, and temperate climate, is just perfect, and one of the reasons we love it. Having said all that, I realise not everyone's perceptions of the UK are the same, in the same way some people move to Oz and feel they have found home, and others look back wistfully to where they came from, realising they used to live in a wonderful, diverse, fascinating country and now regret the move.

Guest guest36187

It's not people who don't like Australia who make it out to be worse.......it IS changing! Its a fact! Things are a lot more expensive, fuel much dearer, property dearer, food prices a lot higher.

Since I lived here I have been through more extreme weather events than I ever had before!

Life don't revolve around going to the beach on every day off!!!! It's not all sunshine and roses

Edited by guest36187

Guest The Pom Queen
I only reply to personal attacks Kate, I will stop when they stop the attacks, I think that's fair.

It will stop when I say it stops thank you Jim

Guest The Pom Queen
That would be the job for the moaners in Australia, they would have a field day having some real factual evidence of doom there, I only post it when people who don't like Australia try to make out it is worse than what it is, I like to stick with facts, rather than, my mates, uncles cousins aunty has a job in the UK, so it can't be so bad, lol.

For goodness sakes Jim, you don't live here. Everyone's experience is different. When you have lived here for 2 years then I'll listen to you, but don't come on the MBTUK section slating the ones who have given it a go

More jargon.

I ask that you do not flatter your self that you were 'singled out' by me. There are many and varied posters here. It is damn clear that many do not agree with me, as I don't agree with them.

What I am amazed about is that you are resident in the UK and repeatedly try to tell residents of Australia where they have gone wrong! It is the first time I have ever seen this anywhere. I then wondered if the reverse was true.

I said that on a UK site -your country of residence-you would be considered the whinging moaner.

You can't keep accusing others of this if they dare to have a less than rosy view of Australia, when in reverse you are doing the same thing!

Then you start with this 'gutter' stuff, and this silly childish way you have ended your post here. You literally throw a tantrum if you are asked why as a British resident you are so critical of what you yourself are doing in reverse!

Don't get so worked up Ropey,- it is just a discussion forum.

And I'm surprised to see you play the 'you're a newbie' card. The last refuge...

Guest liddell92

I'm not sure whether to just take the comments of a non-resident who incessantly patronises Australian residents with his strident defence of Australia, as if he knows better than those who actually LIVE here----a pantechnicon of salt, or

That is very well said and i do think there is not much grounds to which he can really comment if he's not currently residing in the country for crying out loud!

Unemployment is almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, so whatever the figures are, it's far better in the land of plenty downunder. Yer can't believe the serveys anyway, apparently there's a big conspiracy against the UK and in favour of Oz, lol.

Australia is supposed have a booming economy,rideing on the back of a resorces boom,Nothing else,the rest of the economy is in recession.Thousands are being laid off in Brisbane alone.Even the coal mines here are laying off people,150,000 construction workers are going to loose their jobs this year,20,000 civil servants are being made rodundent,2000 bus drivers,teachers,nurses,the list goes on and on and thats just this state.The total workforce in Australia has just been estermated at arround 10,000,000+, 5% unemployed,makes it a much higher rate of unemployment than the UK,with a working population of arround 40,000,000 +and unemployment at 7%.Australia has a greater Mortgage debt than America per capita.The cost of liveing keeps going up at an alarming rate,only this week we couldn't afford to buy tomateos at $12.45 a kg.What fiction books are you reading.Over in the UK?Australia is heading for a great depression.The price of iron ore to China and India our main source of survival has dropped from $145 a ton to $90 a ton, and is expected to fall to $40 a ton.The mining companies got all their future estimates wrong ,orders are falling off,They are not being paid by some customers overseas,which means they are struggling and they have borrowed 90 billion for machinery to increase production.That is not happening

Guest liddell92
Australia is supposed have a booming economy,rideing on the back of a resorces boom,Nothing else,the rest of the economy is in recession.Thousands are being laid off in Brisbane alone.Even the coal mines here are laying off people,150,000 construction workers are going to loose their jobs this year,20,000 civil servants are being made rodundent,2000 bus drivers,teachers,nurses,the list goes on and on and thats just this state.The total workforce in Australia has just been estermated at arround 10,000,000+, 5% unemployed,makes it a much higher rate of unemployment than the UK,with a working population of arround 40,000,000 +and unemployment at 7%.Australia has a greater Mortgage debt than America per capita.The cost of liveing keeps going up at an alarming rate,only this week we couldn't afford to buy tomateos at $12.45 a kg.What fiction books are you reading.Over in the UK?Australia is heading for a great depression.The price of iron ore to China and India our main source of survival has dropped from $145 a ton to $90 a ton, and is expected to fall to $40 a ton.The mining companies got all their future estimates wrong ,orders are falling off,They are not being paid by some customers overseas,which means they are struggling and they have borrowed 90 billion for machinery to increase production.That is not happening

ANOTHER interesting article .....

Is Australia's resources boom over?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19389211

Edited by liddell92
the link did not show up

I honestly dont know how the hoff can give advice on us living in australia,wages 2.2, etc etc He has only been here on vacation

I did used to wonder how old he was and found out he is a prison warder. However he has been consistant and i love the avatars

and i put it down to being enthusiastic, and i think he enjoys a little wind up,tongue in cheek comments c,mon hoffy when are you coming over, been promising it for years now, I still stand you in that drink and shrimp on the barbie, be good to put faces to a lot of posters on here actually.

I honestly dont know how the hoff can give advice on us living in australia,wages 2.2, etc etc He has only been here on vacation

I did used to wonder how old he was and found out he is a prison warder. However he has been consistant and i love the avatars

and i put it down to being enthusiastic, and i think he enjoys a little wind up,tongue in cheek comments c,mon hoffy when are you coming over, been promising it for years now, I still stand you in that drink and shrimp on the barbie, be good to put faces to a lot of posters on here actually.

He will be fine, it's the land of milk and honey....! Just turn up and ...BANG your sorted . Your made for life