VicsBM

Will my money get taxed if I open Oz account?

Hiya. I am thinking of opening a Commonwealth Bank account before we get to Oz, but I had a couple of questions that I'd love unbiased answers to (rather than the bank's answers!).

1) Is there another bank that doesn't charge you $6.00 a month to have an account?!

2) Will I get taxed for moving my UK money into an Australian account? (This worries me, as I already got taxed EARNING the money!)

3) Is there another bank that's good, as the Commonwealth is involved in the unfair closure of the Sandringham Hotel in Sydney (a great music venue - Save our Sando!) and I don't really want to give them my custom.

Any advice gratefully received, thank you!! :-)

Hiya. I am thinking of opening a Commonwealth Bank account before we get to Oz, but I had a couple of questions that I'd love unbiased answers to (rather than the bank's answers!).

1) Is there another bank that doesn't charge you $6.00 a month to have an account?!

2) Will I get taxed for moving my UK money into an Australian account? (This worries me, as I already got taxed EARNING the money!)

3) Is there another bank that's good, as the Commonwealth is involved in the unfair closure of the Sandringham Hotel in Sydney (a great music venue) and I don't really want to give them my custom. (See link below for details and excuse the language in the link!)

http://www.noise11.com/news/acdc-angels-rose-tattoo-members-tell-commonwealth-bank-to-****-off-20120827

Any advice gratefully received, thank you!! :-)

NAB accounts are fee free I think.....probably some others too

No, you won't get taxed moving your money into an Oz account. You'll pay Oz tax on any interest though

Edited by northshorepom

Thanks for this, I'e been on their website and it looks like I can use them rather than CWB. Great!