Shipping arrived damaged!

Mizzmp

I've had quite a few worried people asking who the company I used was. I don't want to say at this stage but I can confirm it wasn't Pickfords, PSS, Crown or 1st International or Anglo Pacific.

Good luck people.

Thanks for the info Mizzmp. I'm reassured that the one we've chosen is in your list above. Thank you.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

Despite the best efforts of your chosen remover there is always an inherent danger damage will be sustained to your goods (that is why the removers vigorously promote their own insurance).

All Insurers keep a record of the removers’ performance and we recently reviewed the last 461 international and domestic removals insured by Insure-Your-Move.com and can advise the number of reported claims was just fewer than 80 which results in a ratio of approximately 1 reported claim for every 6 moves. This is in-line with the industry norm.

The extent of damage reported ranges from very minor damage such as a broken picture frame or vase to more significant damage and loss and the cause of the loss/damage can be attributable to many factors such as customs inspection, handling at destination, goods shifting inside the container etc, and not solely just the packing ability (or inability in this case) of the remover but there is no getting away from the fact that the packing is a major aspect.

We can further advise a number of movers regularly mentioned on this forum have ratios well below this 1:6 average figure.

The statistical information we keep is not a recommendation as to which remover to appoint or not to appoint as you will need to satisfy yourself the remover you appoint is capable of meeting your specific requirements and is competent to do but could act as a tool in the decision making process.

As Insurers, we are only too aware damage and losses do occur in international moves fro a variety of reasons but claimants will always remember how we react to these damages and losses that leaves the greatest impression.

Guest The Pom Queen

All I can say is that all the time I have had on the forum I have seen instances of 20 people loving a company and 1 having a terrible time, the thing is we are very quick to speak up if we are unhappy but not so quick to say if we had a great experience.

We had the opposite in that everything was wrapped in several layers of paper. I can't believe they didn't wrap things properly. You must be really upset. I hope you get things sorted out.

Us too, they even custom made some packaging for my daughters dolls house.

Guest guest36187
True! I'm not so worried about furniture an other stuff I'm really worried about my photos an other personal momentous! Any ideas the best way to get them shipped over? Xxx

Took all my jewellery and personals on plane. Scanned all photos on to cd that were of highest emotional value......old family pics etc nf took a heap in our bags too. Our luggage was clothes and items we didn't want to ship!

In my opinion, this thread is extremely damaging as it has caused mass fear amongst those of us who are awaiting arrival of our containers and for those of us who have recently booked international removalists. The company should be named. Our things are due to arrive in about 4 weeks time through White and Company and now I am fearful as to the condition things will arrive in. You surely just can't post a terrible experience like this without letting everyone know which company caused the problem?

Guest The Pom Queen
In my opinion, this thread is extremely damaging as it has caused mass fear amongst those of us who are awaiting arrival of our containers and for those of us who have recently booked international removalists. The company should be named. Our things are due to arrive in about 4 weeks time through White and Company and now I am fearful as to the condition things will arrive in. You surely just can't post a terrible experience like this without letting everyone know which company caused the problem?

Well maybe you would like to pay for the legal fees that we face, we are currently fighting a legal battle from a members post last week and I can tell you it's not fun for anyone. Maybe if you took the time to read back through the members past posts you will see who they used.

Im sorry but I get fed up of members giving me grief for this, would you like to fight legal battles on a regular basis, do you not think we may agree that these companies need naming. You will see this week I put a post up re companies keep threatening/taking legal action http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/161337-legal-threats-companies.html

Whats everyone panicking about. How many shipments come over every week and how often do you hear of something like this? Our stuff went from Melbourne to Perth, Perth WA to Scotland, went into Storage for 9 months, back to Melbourne, in storage for 1 month and the only thing that was damaged was a cheap Ikea mirror! That was using 3 different companies.

Edited by AJ

Guest The Pom Queen
GREAT!!! Now I'm going to do nothing but worry from the day my shipment leaves 25th sep to the day it arrives in Qld, just my luck to choose the company this poster is talking about!!!

If you do a search you will also see lots of positive feedback about this company as well.

GREAT!!! Now I'm going to do nothing but worry from the day my shipment leaves 25th sep to the day it arrives in Qld, just my luck to choose the company this poster is talking about!!!

Unless you live in the same town as the OP it is hardly likely that it will be the same people packing your stuff. If this happened all the time I doubt the company would still be in business, obviously the packing crew on that day were not being as careful as they should be

Thanks moving to Melbourne, I must admit I did read a lot of positive and along with the sales agent I had no hesitation in handing over my money, I'm just a bit worried as I've purchased new furniture ( all high white gloss ) but things like me plasma and ornate mirror is having special casing made by the shipping company so I can't see how that would get damaged.

Guest Shell15
Well maybe you would like to pay for the legal fees that we face, we are currently fighting a legal battle from a members post last week and I can tell you it's not fun for anyone. Maybe if you took the time to read back through the members past posts you will see who they used.

Im sorry but I get fed up of members giving me grief for this, would you like to fight legal battles on a regular basis, do you not think we may agree that these companies need naming. You will see this week I put a post up re companies keep threatening/taking legal action http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/161337-legal-threats-companies.html

:biggrin:

A bit aggressive! I merely voiced my opinion that this thread was causing panic amongst members. I certainly do not appreciate being spoken down to in this way.

Edited by Stovies

Guest The Pom Queen
A bit aggressive! I merely voiced my opinion that this thread was causing panic amongst members. I certainly do not appreciate being spoken down to in this way.

And I didn't like being told how to run my forum thank you. It was you who told me:

The thread was damaging and causing fear

The company should be named

and that people can't make a post without naming the company.

As I said if you had all the grief we have then maybe you wouldn't be as quick to tell me how to run the forum and what should shouldn't be allowed.

Has anyone shipped their gear from uk to oz and it arrived battered?

I wont mention the companies name but they are big and advertise in all the mags etc.

They packed a tv in a box of glasses without wrapping

Grandads rocking chair (very old) is battered after strict instructions it was to be treated like a newborn

Nintendo wii was chucked in a box of electricals with a heavy metal tv stand on top - its scrated to death (even tho we gave them the wii box)

Ornaments which belonged to my nans mum weren't wrapped, again just chucked in a box

Sideboard was stuffed so full of heavy books its busted at the sides and collapsed

The list goes on and im so angry. We are insured but half the stuff is pricelss to me and to top it off, they sent all the original insurance docs to our old house! We told them we were moving they empty the house then send the docs there instead of the address they were given.

Anyone had similar probs?

It is very clear who you used from a previous post in May 2012. Doesnt take the investigating skills of Columbo to see who they are. These companies rely on word of mouth and forums like this for business. If they are happy to accept praise then they should equally accept criticism......and buck up. The downside to them will be a loss of business equal at least to the cost of your own shipping and damage. They will certainly have people reading this and instead of threatening legal action against a forum, perhaps they should wind there necks in and cough up before every member gets a PM.

Nothing like a bit of constructive criticism to get the cogs of business moving properly.After service care is a maker or breaker in business. They should know that.

Edited by Jackinabox

hi

we also had quite a few things damaged, the removal company pretty much washed their hands of it saying it was down to the insurnace company. After chasing for a year and threatening legal action we finally (after many visits by people to value the stuff) recived our money, sadly we had under valued alot of it so only got a pittance back but lesson learnt. We wont be using that company again thats for sure !

Good luck with your insurnace claim, i hope its quicker than ours :(

Hi hels could you pm the name of the company who messed you around. Thanks for the tip on not underestimating the value if the goods.

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

Despite the best efforts of your chosen remover there is always an inherent danger damage will be sustained to your goods (that is why the removers vigorously promote their own insurance).

All Insurers keep a record of the removers’ performance and we recently reviewed the last 461 international and domestic removals insured by Insure-Your-Move.com and can advise the number of reported claims was just fewer than 80 which results in a ratio of approximately 1 reported claim for every 6 moves. This is in-line with the industry norm.

The extent of damage reported ranges from very minor damage such as a broken picture frame or vase to more significant damage and loss and the cause of the loss/damage can be attributable to many factors such as customs inspection, handling at destination, goods shifting inside the container etc, and not solely just the packing ability (or inability in this case) of the remover but there is no getting away from the fact that the packing is a major aspect.

We can further advise a number of movers regularly mentioned on this forum have ratios well below this 1:6 average figure.

The statistical information we keep is not a recommendation as to which remover to appoint or not to appoint as you will need to satisfy yourself the remover you appoint is capable of meeting your specific requirements and is competent to do but could act as a tool in the decision making process.

As Insurers, we are only too aware damage and losses do occur in international moves fro a variety of reasons but claimants will always remember how we react to these damages and losses that leaves the greatest impression.

Perhaps taking the shippers insurance at upto 6% of shipped goods ensures that they take better care of your goods? Or is it best to go with someone who only charges 1.5%? I was told that the shipping companies actually make more on the premium paid for insurance than they do on the shipping fee. How true is that?

Whats everyone panicking about. How many shipments come over every week and how often do you hear of something like this? Our stuff went from Melbourne to Perth, Perth WA to Scotland, went into Storage for 9 months, back to Melbourne, in storage for 1 month and the only thing that was damaged was a cheap Ikea mirror! That was using 3 different companies.

I'm glad everything went smoothly for you. This thread, and others, clearly highlight that not to be the case for everyone. Are folk to do/say nothing when something goes wrong? If something goes wrong and folk are finding it difficult to put right (either through the shipping company or the insurers) then airing their concerns is likely to put things right.............if not for them but for others through choice. Incidents of items being inappropriately packed or wrapped by shippers are unacceptable. If my shippers dont do as they say they do and I'm not happy you will be the first to know via PM........followed by every member on every migration forum i can find. If they do as they say they do and I'm happy.......then i'll say so, but with less vigour.