BenAtherton1

Vetassess trade assessment- initial stage, bricklayer

Hi all!

I am currently collating evidence of all my trade related work experience such as customer/client references, past employer references etc. and honestly consider my case to be a strong one.

Our migration agent has informed us that as I have periods of my employment history wherein I was self employed. I need extensive evidence such as invoices/tax documents etc. Which is fair enough as I have many of each.

They have also stated that I need to have a letter/written reference from 3 different builders merchant (materials/tools) suppliers for each period of my self employment.

Does anyone else out there have any experience of having to get these? Or indeed any advice of how they have got round this requirement.

Our agent informs us that a end of month credit account statement will not suffice, and that we must have a written letter/reference from the supplier.

I can't really see any of the merchants I used, being prepared to write a reference. They'd probably laugh me out of the store. Is it really that important? Surely past monthly invoices, tool purchase receipts, skip tickets etc would be seen as enough!!!

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Hi Ben

My OH is a bricklayer also and has ran his own business since 2005.I dont see why your builders merchants would have a problem writing a reference especially if your are a good customer.We had to do exactly the same to get through the process.Just tell them what you need the reference for, it should state how long you have been buying from them, types of materials you buy, your in credit and so on.Some of the providers my husband deals with asked him to help word it they did not want to mess it up they then transferred it to their letterhead and signed it.TBH he is a very good customer and they were glad to help.Just be straight with them and you should be fine.You need to get as much evidence as possible take all the agents advice as they do this for a living and know what you require to get through.

Vetasses 29/05/12.Ielts07/12 WA S/S 20/11/12 approved21/12/12 EOI02/01/2013 Visa lodged10/01/2013C/0 04/02/13 meds 05/02/13 Visa 13/02/13

Guest scrumpy

I had to do it from my supplers ( Im a plumber, and yes you will get a bit of stick "for jumping ship etc!!) everyone was very helpfull and sorted it out.

I thought brickies were removed form the most wanted list???

Yea they were removed from the overall Australia SOL, however are still required in WA and SA and were going for the state sponsored 190 Route as a result. It just means that we need more financial capacity behind us and were tied down to whichever state we choose for 2 years. Beggars can't be choosers though.

I will approach my old local suppliers this weekend for a reference and fingers crossed.

Cheers to u both for your advice.

Guest scrumpy

I even got good refrences from faceless internet companies I have used, just give them the heads up of what you want, make sure you take thier name incase you got to chase them up after a couple days

im a self employed bricky but I just work for subbies so I don't actually buy materials. what will I have to do ? ive already got my accounts for last 8 years, various pay slips, and should have more than 3 letterheaded references. anyone know if this will be fine?

also, anyone done the assessment interview?

im a self employed bricky but I just work for subbies so I don't actually buy materials. what will I have to do ? ive already got my accounts for last 8 years, various pay slips, and should have more than 3 letterheaded references. anyone know if this will be fine?

also, anyone done the assessment interview?

Ive always been a sole trader,hardly buy materials myself,i went thru TRA in 2008,just gave them the usual employer(subbie)statements,tax returns and stuff,things have changed i know,but i cant see not having receipts from builders merchant being a problem meself,wasnt for me anyway,the detailed statements from subbies are what my agent emphasised were more important

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

thanks Pablo

the detailed statements- is that the references?

It is yeah Davey,i just word it like my agent did,he always used to emphasise he wanted detailed statements of the work i'd done.

To use his words,a reference is kinda like......"Davey is a good employee,always on time,we wouldnt hesitate to employ him again"

Whereas my agent wanted details of work done,domestic,commercial,industrial,type of mortar used,type of brick used,type of bond used,Flemish,English,Stretcher,water bond etc,plus all tools used to be listed,i know that sounds a bit ott,but i just got him what he wanted,loads of detailed statements of my duties,houses,civils,groundworks,sand stone work,railway work,i just battered them with detail

All the best Davey

Edited by pablo

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

that's great advice mate. thanks a lot. got to make sure I get everything on there they want. many thanks.

Ahhh no worries mate,it might have just been my agent going ott for all i know,but he hated me calling them references,it worked tho

Another idea is for you to get the letter heads off the subbies ,if theyre ok with that,you get all the detail typed in yourself,and give it them back to sign and verify,because some of the subbies i asked cba basically,always make sure they state their job title as well,contracts manager etc

Good luck!

yeah mate that's a great idea, im going to try that as subbies are a nightmare getting anything from them!!

... and if I do it that way I get exactly what im after.