Applying for university - entrance requirements HELP!!!!!!

Geordielass44

Hi

we are keeping our fingers crossed and assuming we will get our 175 visa soon.....in the meantime my daughter is choosing her A level courses to start next week.....we have decided to stay in the UK until she completes these and then she can go to Uni in Queensland (which she is keen to do) BUT......looking at the enrty requirements for the courses she is interested in Science/genetics/medicine they want English to Year 12 level.... Does anyone know whether her GCSE grades will count (she got an A in English Lang and an A* in English Lit) or will she need to do an A or AS level? She really doesnt want to do any more than an AS level (ie one more year)but cant do anything other than English Literature as English Lit/Lang clashes on the option choices with Maths....I am really concerned that they will want an A level in English Lit/lang which is going to struggle to get.....i have e mailed the Uni but wondered if anyone on here has had similar issues? Thanks

Guest Nige Richy

Hi, the big thing to worry about is the cost at Uni, my best mates son has just finished his degree in NSW $60k!!! It is quite expensive unless you are getting reductions as far as the quals go the Uni will explain what is needed if you keep pestering them. Good Luck

Guest littlesarah

The admissions team at the relevant institution should be able to give you an idea of the ATAR equivalence score they'd give, though it would depend on the grades achieved.

I would think that they would definitely require an A level as the GCSE is only the equivalent to Grade 10. This is how UQ explained it to me.

ETA: Definitely worry about the fees too. She wouldn't qualify for HECS-HELP and would have to fund the student contribution.

New Zealand citizens and all other Australian permanent residents must pay their SCA up-front without a discount – they cannot obtain a HECS-HELP loan.

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/?id=21165

Edited by Fashionably Late

Thanks for the replies. Hi i am not too worried about the fees as we will pay for her and she will work too to help. I would rather pay there than the ridiculous fees they are charging in the Uk now. If she does science i believe it is the lowest of the fee bands anyway (less than 4K Oz dollars) ..... But do tell me if i am wrong!?!?! I have asked the uni to confirm whether an AS level in English Literature will be enough to meet Year 12 English requirements. I hope it is as she loves her maths and science and will not be happy having to do English for an extra year!

Hi

we are keeping our fingers crossed and assuming we will get our 175 visa soon.....in the meantime my daughter is choosing her A level courses to start next week.....we have decided to stay in the UK until she completes these and then she can go to Uni in Queensland (which she is keen to do) BUT......looking at the enrty requirements for the courses she is interested in Science/genetics/medicine they want English to Year 12 level.... Does anyone know whether her GCSE grades will count (she got an A in English Lang and an A* in English Lit) or will she need to do an A or AS level? She really doesnt want to do any more than an AS level (ie one more year)but cant do anything other than English Literature as English Lit/Lang clashes on the option choices with Maths....I am really concerned that they will want an A level in English Lit/lang which is going to struggle to get.....i have e mailed the Uni but wondered if anyone on here has had similar issues? Thanks

Sorry but I think you will find that she will need to do A levels. I have a friend who came here with her daughter having done AS levels, which got her into TAFE, she needed to do a TAFE course first to get her into Uni. Both my sons got into Uni, but were much younger when we got here. I know here in QLD you can do a course at TAFE which will give you equivalent to year 12 which may be an option (takes 6 months or a year dependant). Some Uni's also do pathway courses, at the local Uni here, you have to do 4 courses over the year, each course takes a semester, so it can be done over 6 or 12 months. If you do this. our local Uni here recommends that you check if you want to go to a different Uni they accept the pathway course that you have taken. That way you enter on your ranking rather than your OP which you get from school. Hope this makes sense and helps? Good luck.

[TABLE=class: AcrFinder]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]TAFE =Tertiary and Further Education[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

(I think - similar to college in the UK)

Hi

http://www.uq.edu.au/international/english-language-queensland-year-12-equivalents - this is the link for UQ looks like she will be fine with what she has for English, obviously every uni will be different but UQ is probably the highest ranking uni in Queensland - more of an issue if she wants to do medicine regarding what her a'level results are. Like the UK medicine is highly competitive to get into and irrespective of what many people say about the Australian education system there are lots of very bright children here with excellent reults who have a tough time getting into medicine. Good luck with your move.

Edited by nevsm

Hi thanks for all the replies and links!

Just to clarify my daughter will be doing her A levels in the UK in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. What she is unsure of is whether she needs to do an A level in English or whether an AS level will be sufficient. She has opted to take English Literature as she is unable to fit English Lit/Lang into the option blocks. I have found information stating that an AS level is fine for the Maths requirement (though she will do it to A level) and that her A level Biology and Chemistry will be equivalent to Year 12 - it is the English requirement which is confusing us! her GCSE results were A* or A's. I will call the University if i dont hear from my e mails in the next day or two. I have e mailed admissions for clarification. :-)

All university admissions are done through an admissions centre - like UCAS in the UK and they are the people you need to contact. The link is above - http://www.qtac.edu.au/

I'm in WA and the equivalent for us is TISC. I have checked the TISC guide and it says that students have to show english competency. For overseas students a GCSE in English is sufficeint to illustrate competency, so certaihnly in WA she would be fine, however I would still contact http://www.qtac.edu.au/ to be on the safe side. They'll also give advice about how A levels are translated. They have scrapped undergraduate medicine in WA, it is now done at post grad level. Don't know the situation in QLD. Competition is fierce and you also have to pass the UMAT interview process to get in - many fail at this even if they have top grades. I think she will be at a disadvantage even with three A' at A level when competing against Aust. students, only in the way they will transfer her scores into Aussie equivalent. Here students results are ranked and it will be hard for them to slot her into the ranking system - fine if she is just doing a science degree but difficult if she is heading for undergrad medicine (if they are still doing it?.

All university admissions are done through an admissions centre - like UCAS in the UK and they are the people you need to contact. The link is above - http://www.qtac.edu.au/

I'm in WA and the equivalent for us is TISC. I have checked the TISC guide and it says that students have to show english competency. For overseas students a GCSE in English is sufficeint to illustrate competency, so certaihnly in WA she would be fine, however I would still contact http://www.qtac.edu.au/ to be on the safe side. They'll also give advice about how A levels are translated. They have scrapped undergraduate medicine in WA, it is now done at post grad level. Don't know the situation in QLD. Competition is fierce and you also have to pass the UMAT interview process to get in - many fail at this even if they have top grades. I think she will be at a disadvantage even with three A' at A level when competing against Aust. students, only in the way they will transfer her scores into Aussie equivalent. Here students results are ranked and it will be hard for them to slot her into the ranking system - fine if she is just doing a science degree but difficult if she is heading for undergrad medicine (if they are still doing it?.

Thanks Bob1 i am going to contact qtac. Competition to get onto medicine is tough in the UK too - i think she is happy to start/do a Science degree and then try to get into medicine if she still wants to try (we have friends in UK and South Africa who have done this to get into Medicine) - we will have to see and she has decided to go to USA to work for a year after A levels now too! We hope to be over by 2014/15 at the latest with my daughter joining us in July 2015 so she wouldnt start til Jan 2016! I have never planned ahead so much in my life!! Just hoping to cover all the bases and hope entrance requirements dont change too much in the next 3 years! (and i had better start saving!)

Thanks Bob1 i am going to contact qtac. Competition to get onto medicine is tough in the UK too - i think she is happy to start/do a Science degree and then try to get into medicine if she still wants to try (we have friends in UK and South Africa who have done this to get into Medicine) - we will have to see and she has decided to go to USA to work for a year after A levels now too! We hope to be over by 2014/15 at the latest with my daughter joining us in July 2015 so she wouldnt start til Jan 2016! I have never planned ahead so much in my life!! Just hoping to cover all the bases and hope entrance requirements dont change too much in the next 3 years! (and i had better start saving!)

As well as contacting QTAC you need to find out if she needs to do UMAT. School qualifications alone are usually not enough to get into medicine . Starting another science degree and then transferring to medicine is an option. In terms of unis offering medicine in SE Queensland there is UQ, Griffith, and Bond ( private therefore expensive but you get your degree faster).

Guest littlesarah

To get into medicine there are a couple of options for undergrads: you can apply to transfer program (and receive credit for any courses completed, which may or may not be possible), or there is also the option of doing a graduate entry medicine degree. A third option is to consider other professions involved in health care (e.g. dentistry or allied health professions) - a couple of our grads completed a BSc in Podiatry and used that to get into medicine (with podiatry as an 'insurance' as well as a means to earn extra cash). Of course that takes longer.

It's worth your daughter speaking to the Program Officer of the program she ultimately wants to complete before she enrols, because they can help with detailed information about getting on to the course via a less conventional route. I'm not sure if all institutions call them 'program officers', but they'd all have someone who has discipline-specific knowledge about these things.

Just a word of caution about the post-graduate medicine route; she'd probably have to do GAMSAT (which is the graduate medical admissions test, rather than UMAT which is the undergraduate one). GAMSAT assumes you have biology and chemistry to a first-year university level, so if she's likely to do it this way she'd be best advised to do something like biomedical science or another course that has those componants. Post graduate medicine tends to be 4 years, as opposed to 6 years for the undergraduate (depends on university).

Thanks everyone for your replies. Queensland Uni have confirmed that her A at GCSE will meet the Year 12 English requirement. She needs Biology and Chemistry at A level and Maths to AS (though she will take it to A level). She has decided to take the English Lit AS level (which also meets Year 12 requirements) as she wants to take a Gap year in the USA before joing us in Oz and it would be a more recent qualification if that makes sense. They are planning changes to their Medicine programme and have suggested aletrnative routes. i think she will be taking a Science degree - her interest is genetics which they do offer. :-) (now just waiting for the visa!!)

Guest littlesarah

Glad to hear it's all coming together for you and your daughter. Something to remember is that it is in universities' interests to encourage students to apply.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Queensland Uni have confirmed that her A at GCSE will meet the Year 12 English requirement. She needs Biology and Chemistry at A level and Maths to AS (though she will take it to A level). She has decided to take the English Lit AS level (which also meets Year 12 requirements) as she wants to take a Gap year in the USA before joing us in Oz and it would be a more recent qualification if that makes sense. They are planning changes to their Medicine programme and have suggested aletrnative routes. i think she will be taking a Science degree - her interest is genetics which they do offer. :-) (now just waiting for the visa!!)

Great to hear your questions were answered... QTAC are extremely slow to reply via email I find. In some cases they don't reply at all. Or they give very short scrappy answers not worth the reading.

I was going to jump in with this and say that they accept GCSE English (or just having completed A Levels) as meeting the English entry requirements. :biggrin:

But I seem to miss out on posting useful info these days. I don't frequent the boards much now.

Some Universities here (mainly QUT - Queensland University of Technology) have an "Assumed Knowledge"-based entry scheme in place instead of Prerequisites (requirements). That means they literally ASSUME that you have English at Year 12 level and passed it with an acceptable level of achievement. They DON'T REQUIRE IT. Same with maths. I don't think they actually have prerequisites at all any more at QUT! :cute:

• 5 years later...

Hi luke i am in same situation like you.my son is finishing his as levels in june   and we decided to move after his A levels

. He is good in studies doing biology chemistry and sociology. So i need ur advise in taking admission in university and can please share experience of ur daughter university admissions process 

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:13, Safi said:

Hi luke i am in same situation like you.my son is finishing his as levels in june   and we decided to move after his A levels

. He is good in studies doing biology chemistry and sociology. So i need ur advise in taking admission in university and can please share experience of ur daughter university admissions process 

You have posted on a thread from 2012 - you may be better starting your own thread to get appropriate answers.