Emigrating with autism

Guest geekygibbo

Hi

thank you so much.

How long we need to be in OZ to apply for permanent residency if we are on a E457 visa? Do we need to undergo any extra medicals for that? I am getting a psychological assessment for my son done this week. Anything else they ask? He is six and he has no speech.

regards

Chris.

Am not sure ,the best person to ask would be Gollywobler,I am pretty sure that because the e 457 is a temp visa that it carries a health waiver but dont quote me on that,,,just remember ,where there is a will there is a way.If I was you I would look up the Moeller case, makes for very interesting reading.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bahee90
The problem with applications like this simply from a lay-persons point of view,is that we all tend to put our trust in so-called experts.

Unfortunately there are a lot of shysters,charlatans and opportunists who are only too willing to give you an uninformed opinion based on nothing but their desire to play on your naievety in order to relieve you of as much of your hard earned as poss for nothing more than an uneducated and ill informed viewpoint

Truth is you end up doing all of the donkeywork yourself anyway and end up feeling cheated by them when it all comes out in the wash.

Fortunately this forum has a lot of genuine,well informed people. It also has people who have suceeded regardles of expert opinion,,,I should know more than most,I am one of them.

I have also vowed to pass on as much as I can from what I have learned in overcoming objections from DIAC and the Medical Office of the Commonwealth,regarding my 'eventual' success in securing our visa .

I urge anyone who has a child that has a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Dissorder,a statement of special educational needs or any other difficulties to please contact me,I do not charge as I am not an opportunist preying peoples naievety, but a parent who has been there, done it and got the t-shirt to boot.

Hi

How can I contact you to get some advise?

thx

• 1 month later...
Guest mumof2asdboys

Hi

I live in australia and two of my children are ASD.

For any UK people wishing to migrate to this country then I want you to be very aware of the differences between Oz & UK.

Australia is not a magical fairyland where the sunshine will allow a better quality of life IF YOU HAVE A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD.

There are no "special needs statement" :sad:

There are no legislative rights for those with disabilities

The only free services you are entitled to are 20 Medicare (NHS) provided appointments OVER THE COURSE OF A CHILD LIFETIME. So, if you see a psychologist at average rate $200 you will get about $120 back ... not free, you will have a gap to pay. OT support is around $120 per session and speech ranges from $150 - $200. :arghh: In no way does this go anywhere towards meeting the ongoing needs of a child.

Government services use a 'teach the parents' model. They tell YOU, the parents, how to provide therapy for your child. They do not directly work with your child. Got an aspergers child needing speech therapy for scial language etc? Forget it! Have a non verbal child and needing speech therapy? Wait about a year for THEM to tell YOU what to do.

Go to some of the Oz forums and post messages on there asking parents what level of support they get. Inform yourself and be very aware of what you will actually receive once here.

NSW Autism Association has a good one. Called ASPECT.

Also go to the government Helping Children with Autism forum. It is mainly for parents of younger children who get a $6000 for 2 years of services.

Schools. Well, the system is that you go for a SCAN meeting. You rip your child apart and highlight the worst traits in order to get a higher allocation of funding. You will never know how much or how it will spent (if at all on your own child). It up to the discretion of the school.

There are very good spcial schools and good autism units attached to mainstream schools. BUT, the teachers running the schools may or may not have special ed training. The support workers in the classroom are everyday people with no educational qualifications let alone specific to autism. Babysitters. And it varies greatly from school to school & how well the parents advocate for their child.

Reading about the UK system, I could not imagine any valid reason to move UK to Oz as it would be a huge backward step for any child with ASD.

Sometimes, living the dream is also about being grounded in reality. And reality can be darn harsh if you have the frustrations of lack of service provisioning for your special needs child.

If however you still want to do the move, PM me and I will provide you with as much info as I can to make the transition an easier one.

Hello, were lucky i suppose that our son Ethan has only mild autism and was signed off from SALT this year as they could no longer help him (in a good way) does not currienly have psychology or OT. He does have a TA though and i do worry about his schooling, he will be hitting year 7 in this country when we emigrate in 2011 (hopefully) suppose year 6 in perth which i dont see as a bad thing with him having to repeat a year.

i suppose nowhere is ideal but i still see a better future for him and us in Perth rather than England.

Guest mumof2asdboys

Hi,

The autism assocaition has a website: www.autism.org.au which you might like to check out. A call to them might help you look at school options etc when you get here.

Repeating a year is never a bad option if you can do it.

Maybe go to some online forums and make contact with other families? The ASD community tends to be very welcoming .

Can I ask why you think Oz would be better than UK? I'm asking purely because we arep lanning to move to UK to access better services.

The services for children with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders varies from state to state. With a strong philosophy for inclusion pretty much across all the states, the vast majority of children with pervasive developmental disorders are supported in mainstream settings. Some states have special ed units and some states actually have autism specific ones but generally they are for high support needs kids with, usually, intellectual impairment. Resources are allocated in most states on a needs basis and as has been said, there is usually some sort of appraisal process which often does seem like you are tearing your child apart just to get the most resources. Most states have a limited disability budget so they tightly define their eligibility to access services in the first instance - just having a label isnt enough, there has to be evidence of significant handicap because of the condition so you have to jump through hoops even to get an assessment. Once the resources are allocated then the school determines how they will be used. Some states have the flexibility to buy in therapy services but for the most part it will be an often untrained teacher aide in the classroom.

I think it is very much luck of the draw as to whether you get good services for a child or not. I am not sure I would be bringing a child with a PDD here or not. I saw a display of services when I was in London a few years ago and really thought they were well ahead of where we are here but I realise that it could be dependent upon where you live and what the local LEA will do for you.

Guest marzoom

Hi to all applying for Oz with these issues, we are just looking into applying for PR is Adelaide where all my family are - my son has asperger's syndrome and I thought you may want to look at the advice given to me in the thread "asperfer's syndome" recently.

best of luck, try to stay positive, best wishes x

Hi,

The autism assocaition has a website: www.autism.org.au which you might like to check out. A call to them might help you look at school options etc when you get here.

Repeating a year is never a bad option if you can do it.

Maybe go to some online forums and make contact with other families? The ASD community tends to be very welcoming .

Can I ask why you think Oz would be better than UK? I'm asking purely because we arep lanning to move to UK to access better services.

We are lucky in the fact that Ethan had intense SALT, social skills teaching and excellent teaching assistants in the past and has learned about his condition and how it affects him. He is a completely different boy from when diagnosed especially in the speech department but still has some issues. The move is for all the family, currienly in England i cant see us getting a larger house, i am continually stressed at work, the weather is poor and i have an elder son who is frightened to leave the house. all in all we all want a change even if its only for a few years. Both boys are making plans on what they want to do, Adam wants to work for Freemantle Media and well if Ethan just wants to be a beach bum surfer i will be happy. Rather that than sitting in a house in the cold & rain.

lisa

Guest mumof2asdboys

Lisa,

I'm hoping that by moving to the UK, I too will be able to post something similiar to you about my boys progress!

At the moment though the needs are acute and the service provisoning lacking.

Quoll, are you in special ed or teaching? Yuo seem quite knowledgable in this area. I've heard Canberra is as bad as NT.

Guest guest30038

I think the states (and even schools) must be vastly different.

We knew something "wasn't quite right" with Jake so I researched various conditions before concluding that he was ASD. In his first year at primary school I asked the teacher to observe him and pass any observations on to us. Within a month they had arranged a consult with the Child Development Unit and Jake received a dx within another month. We had listed all the diagnostic criteria that fitted Jake's profile and I think the CDU was simply just a "rubber stamp" although they did conduct many tests over that month to confirm our dx.

From the moment he received the dx, the school couldn't have been more helpful. An IEP (Individual Education Plan) was arrived at via consult with us and it was agreed that Jake would split his time 50/50 between inclusive classes and the special ed class. This IEP was updated every term to take account of Jake's development. The special ed class comprised of teachers and aides who were all well versed in ASD ADD etc and their knowledge of ASD was very satisfactory. Included in the IEP was an exemption from the school rule of "no chewing gum" due to Jakes ability to devour anything that was left on his desk..........pencils.........erasers.......practically everything..........he was allowed chewing gum to satisfy his sensory needs and eventually the school weened him off the gum. It was also indicated on his IEP that our main area of focus was his mental well-being and that he was not to be "pushed" when it came to academic goals. If he appeared stressed at any time, he was to be given "time out" to retire to a quiet area where he could stim. "Inclusion" was never on the cards for us, unless that was what Jake wanted. He was our priority, not the school's policy of inclusion. Although it was discussed that an ASD child should attempt to "fit in society, in order to survive", it was never our priority and we asked that the school recognise that "fitting in" often came at a huge expense to the child's mental health. The school concurred. I use these examples simply to show how accommodating the school was to his needs.

He now attends a private high school and again, I have nothing but praise for the manner in which they have guided him to young adulthood. He is less stressed than he has ever been, has recently been part of a team comprising kids with similar disabilities that has again won the Young Australian Achievers Award for developing a product, business plan and marketing strategies..........he is truly happy at this school, and this really, can be all we ask for our child..........that he is happy.

He has engaged in Work Experience at an Animal Refuge, Council Dog Pound, and a pet shop. He is currently working one day at MacDonalds where they are amazed at his "attention to detail" and his courtesy to staff and clients. The school initially sent an aide out with him at his first day induction at the pound and refuge........no mean feat when you think of the funding involved and the fact that the aide could have been utilised at school and the employers not only had to accommodate Jake, but also the aide.

I have nothing but high regard for the schools, the CDU, the employers, and everyone else that has been involved in Jake realising his potential. My knowledge of the UK, as it was when we left, leaves no doubt that Jake has received more help here, than he ever could have back in the UK............that is, unless things have changed dramatically since we left.

kev

Lisa,

I'm hoping that by moving to the UK, I too will be able to post something similiar to you about my boys progress!

Quoll, are you in special ed or teaching? Yuo seem quite knowledgable in this area. I've heard Canberra is as bad as NT.

Used to be! Actually, ACT has one of the better reputations from what I can gather from people moving interstate but the NT did adopt our needs assessment process - not something I am terribly proud of! We are having yet another special ed review but I remain to be convinced that it will do things much better - we have a history of dismantling things that work:biglaugh:

Lisa,

Hi, no im not in teaching im a registered nurse, to be honest im unsure what the rest of the country is like. We live in a small town in Staffordshire and Ethan curriently goes to a small primary school with 2 classes in each year. It has not always been plain sailing, i have to admit that in the past we have had to wait for services i think between the initial paediatric appt when she said he had traits to the psychologist appt who diagnosed him with mild/high functioning was over 2yrs. We couldnt get him statemented they didnt seem interested basically told too much paperwork/ phasing them out!!!. Now i think high school is a different matter, my eldest son Adam does test after test after test and i just dont want that for ethan. They are obsessed with grades!! which is good when Adam is getting E for excellent every day but will be different when Ethan gets E usually for experiencing difficulty.

I fully understand you want whats best for your children, working in nursing makes you realise how short life can be so you have to make the most of it.

Lisa x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I am applying for a 176 State Sponsored visa (WA). We have completed all of the criterea required by DIAC with the exception of my son (7 Years old, mildly autistic), who's medical declaration has been referred. We have declared that he is statemented, and provided the panel doctor with all of his records from School, Local Education Authority, Speech & Language Department as well as the paediatrician reports etc. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts these emphasis on the positives of his condition and concentrate on the things which he can do. It's a little ironic that when we 'fight' for our kids to get the aid they need in the schools here in the UK. I certainly would not advocate 'omitting' a condition of autism from the application as it would not take a great deal for the DIAC to check schools, applicants doctors etc.. and it would be a shame to jepordise an application because of fear of rejection. Honesty is the best policy. My biggest worry is the not knowing one way or another. I wish a final decision could be made one way or another. 'Patience is a Virtue' I think this was a saying with this process in mind. Does anyone have any feedback as to the process times for a referral to being notified of a medical decision?

Kind regards and good luck

Hi Johns.

We have a daughter who is autistic hers is mild as well .We have now been told she could have ausperges . I am australian and we applied for her visa 5 months ago and are still waiting case officer said it would only take 3 months now we have been told it is taking longer because she is autistic. We have adopted our daughter thats why she needs a visa.

Rowena.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Johns

From the cases I've seen recently it is taking 5 to 8 weeks between the meds being referred and the COs in the processing centres being in receipt of Form 884. Form 884 is an internal DIAC document. The MOC uses it to say whether the health requirement for migration is either met or it is not met.

Does this help?

Hugs

Gill

xx

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Johns.

We have a daughter who is autistic hers is mild as well .We have now been told she could have ausperges . I am australian and we applied for her visa 5 months ago and are still waiting case officer said it would only take 3 months now we have been told it is taking longer because she is autistic. We have adopted our daughter thats why she needs a visa.

Rowena.

Hi Rowena

Have you applied for a subclass 102 Adoption Visa?

Adoption Visa (Subclass 102)

If so, you are unlikely to have any major headaches. You say that your daughter is only mildly autistic, and the MOC is usually OK about cases involving only mild disability.

Secondly a waiver of the strict health requirement is available with this visa. Whereas with a skilled visa a cost of about $21,000 over the person's first 3 to 5 yearin Oz is deemed to be "significant cost", in the case of Partner and Child visas about $200,000 over the same period is the norm.

Added to which substantial appeal rights go with the subclass 102 visa.

Where is your daughter at present? If she in Australia with you? If not, where is she and where are you, please?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill.

No i have applied for a 40ch sponsorship for a child to migrate to australia also a 47ch application for migration to australia by a child.I have applied for these visas as i am australian born my oh has also got pr and my birth children have australian passports. Alisha our adopted daughter is living with us has been for nearly 4 yrs as she came to us as a foster child. We fully adopted Alisha over a year ago.We were told by our case officer it would only take 3 months 5 months now and still waiting.We are from Birkenhead in Merseyside.Thanks Rowena

Guest Gollywobbler

HI Rowena

The meds situation remains as I described above. Whether it is a Child Visa or an Adoption Visa the health waiver is available.

Is it the case that you have had Alisha's meds done, the matter has been referred to the Medical Officer of th Commonwealth and you are now awaiting an Opinion from him? It does not take them half a year to resolve a meds file.

Presumably the meds were done by Health Services Australia? Do you know the name of the doctor concerned? Can she or he help to find out what is holding this up? Child visas get top priority over all other visa applications so somebody is talking nonsense, I suspect:

About Health Operations Centre (HOC)

Health Operations Centre

The meds will be dealt with between HSA and the Health Operations Centre in Sydney. I suggest contacting the HOC to find out what they say is causing delay. I have heard numerous people complain that HSA are diabolically badly organised and that they make too many admin errors which hold everything up.

See what you can discover by making enquiries with a firm edge to your voice, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill, Many thanks for your help. It now looks like the process is to become a lot more stressful than before as a result of the recent announcement by DIAC for the way they are prioritising the visa applications. I have been in touch with DIAC to request to change the 176 application to a 121 (Visa fee waived) if I can secure employment this October. I thought it was a bit harsh that they have done this to existing applicants knowing full well the expense as well as the time and trouble we all go to.. Nevermind, Rome was not built in a day!!

Kind regards and many thanks for your advice

Paul

Hi Gill

Sorry didnt tell you we adopted Alisha here Alisha was born in Birkenhead we went through Liverpool Court for her adoption. We also had her medical done in liverpool I thought London decide wheather she passes the medical or not I have emailed case officer 3 times she keeps saying you have just got to wait.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

Sorry didnt tell you we adopted Alisha here Alisha was born in Birkenhead we went through Liverpool Court for her adoption. We also had her medical done in liverpool I thought London decide wheather she passes the medical or not I have emailed case officer 3 times she keeps saying you have just got to wait.

Hi Rowena

Everything is becoming clearer as you reveal more of the relevant facts.

All meds which have to be referred to the MOC have to be sent to the Health Operations Centre in Sydney.

If the MOC advises that Alisha does not meet the health requirement for permanent migration, the MOC states this on Form 884 which eventually makes its way to the CO in London.

DIAC then have to decide whether to exercise the Health Waiver whiich is potentially available with this visa. So they then ask the MOC to provide an estimate of the costs for providing special assistance at school for Alisha etc and to come up with a figure.

The MOC provides a cost estimate and eventually that reaches the CO in London. Once DIAC have the costs estimate, they decide whether or not to use the Health Waiver or to refuse the visa.

Because they send everything around by snail mail it takes forever just to move the documents from A to B. It is a ridiculous waste of time and money in this cyber age but it is useless to try to fathom the illogicality of the civil service in my experience.

At the moment the Minister is busy with an internal review of how DIAC treats visa applicants with disabilities. What cost is "significant cost"? What benefits can the disabled person bring to Australia? The benefits may justify the cost.

At the same time as DIAC are chewing the cud internally about this, a Parliamentary Committee is considering the question as well.

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/mig/disability/index.htm

George Lombard is a migration agent in Sydney:

Profile | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

He also contributes to Poms in Oz. There have been four children on here recently (ie their parents are PiO members) who need a degree of special assistance at school.

One of the four was eventually accepted by the MOC.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/61583-adoption-aspergers-syndrome-rest-never-give-up.html

(Please read that thread because Taffordnark's situation was very similar to yours where their foster children were concerned. He is now in Adelaide with his wife & children and can be contacted fairly readily if you want to compare notes.)

The other 3 children were rejected so their parents visas have been refused.

These families have been treated VERY harshly. Their children need special assistance at school but there is no evidence that they will not be able to lead normal, productive, healthy adult lives.

Plus there was all the fuss about Dr Moeller recentlly, which you may recall:

Statement by Senator Evans on Dr Bernhard Moeller

George says that clients of his have recently received very harsh visa refusals in sutuations which were much the same as those of the children recorded on PiO. He tells me that Peter Bollard, a solicitor in Sydney, is taking one case to the Federal Magistrates Court of Australia because the Court really should examine just what is happening here. Peter Bollard is absolutely right in my view.

I think it can only be that the MOC doctors are "saying" to the Minister, "Decide what you want us to do. We can tell you about the medical diagnosis and we can give you a rough estimate of the costs which would probably be involved if you accept Applicant X, but you decide what the law is, what the threshold figures should be and then you provide us with clear instructions about how you want us - the MOC team of doctors - to proceed."

One can't blame the doctors.

Let us look at the costs to the relevant State & Federal coffers of helping you to provide the best possible care for Alisha. I imagine that you do not receive anything from Centrelink because Alisha is not a Permanent Resident yet? Would you be ab;e to claim anything in the future - eg Disability Support Pension (or its child equivalent) for Alisha and Carer's Allowance for yourself?

Does she have any special help at school or elsewhere? If so, can you get some rough costings for that? I know for instance that private speech therapy costs about $80 per session in Sydney if obtained privately.

It is possible to work out the costings roughly (and the MOC's costings are equally rough & ready - they do not get expert actuaries to do all the figures to the nth degree.)

I should think that the MOC would be worried about Alisha's case. If her visa is refused there will be Trouble, potentially. You would go straight to the Migration Review Tribunal to ask for the Review Medical Officer of the Commonwealth to re-assess Alisha's meds from scratch. If the RMOC backs the MOC then you will apply for Ministerial Intervention in the same way as Dr Moeller did. You might take the Minister to court as well in the same way as Tracey Robinson did in the landmark Robinson case in 2005:

Tracey Ann X [2004] MRTA 7515 (17 November 2004)

Robinson v Minister for Immigration and Multiculturaland Indigenous Affairs (with Addendum dated 18 November 2005) [2005] FCA 1626 (10 November 2005)

Additionally the Australian Auditor General is watching. He was not at all impressed with DIAC's administration of the health requirement for migration when the ANAO took a look 2.5 years ago:

http://www.anao.gov.au/uploads/documents/2006-07_Audit_Report_37.pdf

If the MOC and DIAC do try to reject Alisha, potentially merry hell would be let loose. Alisha has been adopted, severing all legal ties with her natural family for all time. She happens to have been adopted by an Australian mother. What right does Senator Evans have to try to tell you that you cannot have Alisha in Australia with you? The Press would have his guts for garters in a much bigger way than they did with Dr Moeller.

Hopefully a fight will not be necessary but the MOC is so unpredictable at present that it is impossible to know.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Thank you for all that imformation we are all worried that they will refuse Alisha and you are right if they refuse Alisha they are stopping me returing to my country of birth.

take care Rowena.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi GILL

i spoke to you a while ago about our adopted daughter Alisha we have now had a reply. Alisha has been refused on medical grounds we have been asked by case officer to send information to try and get a wavier for Alisha but we dont understand what to put in. We havent got $110.000 which they have said it will cost there community services for Alisha we dont have much savings enough to get us settled in Australia ect car house bond food untill we managed to get a job.They said to say we wont to be with our 5 children but we are taking 3 of our children with us and other 2 with partners and children are coming out after we have settled in so we just dont know what else to send.hope you can give us any ideas. thanks Rowena

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shahid khan

Hi all,

i am new to this group my chlid age 6.6 has Autism (mild) and i am planing to apply for business migration to australia and we will not be intital for the madicare any advice or information to this condation

Thanks

Shahid Khan

Archived