graham834

Gas Bill!!!!

Hey Guys,

We have just received our first gas bill which is $154 for weeks!!!!

I thought we only had the cooker which used gas but surely this can't be for just gas. We have ducted heating and cooling - could this be gas rather than electric?

There is just the 3 of us in the house.

Guest guest36187

$154 for how many weeks???

That will probably be right for Melbourne, ours was $450 per quarter, up here in Cairns we pay $75 per quarter

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest guest17301

Mine is usually about $100 for 2 or 3 months and we have gas boiler. Did you take meter reading on move in day? Otherwise you may be paying from point at which it was last read??

Edited by guest17301

on my last bill the daily average was $ 1.60 That's for hot water cooking and a fire

Edited by kipper2

Ducted will be gas heating and yes, its the right price, depending on the size of the house it can be a lot more. Look also at service charges, these are not for the gas you use.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Sounds pretty cheap, our last gas bill was $460 for two months.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

Sounds about right I'm afraid! We've found it really expensive to heat the house here - mainly due to the fact that we are in an old house which has single glazing. Apart from Marks and Spencers I think double glazing is the thing I miss the most!

What are people paying who live in Canberra?

In Canberra, the quarter for winter you are looking at anywhere from $800 to $1200 on average if you have ducted heating and depending on how you run it (24 hours, programmed on and off, what temperature it is set at, how good your insulation is etc). Ducted heating is hugely expensive but necessary. The way to deal with it is to "evenpay" across 12 months to average out your bills as gas bills will be nothing in the summer in comparison.

To give you an idea, we recently moved to a rental with ducted heating. Our winter bill in the house with ducted heating was $442 for 6 weeks (including new account charges) so I'd estimate it would have come in at roughly $800 for the quarter. We have good insulation with heavy block out curtains etc in this rental though, very lucky. We don't run the heating at night either and it is set to 18 degrees. In comparison, for the same quarter last year in a house without ducted heating but with a vulcan wall heater, we paid $283 for the quarter. Of course, we were freezing though!!!

I know Canberrans who are paying the higher end ($1000 to $1200) winter bills but they are running their ducted heating 24/7 as they have babies and perceive anything under 21 degrees to be cold. :laugh: They would run it at about 22 degrees during the day and 18 overnight.

It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins - Chinese proverb

Hey Guys,

I thought we only had the cooker which used gas but surely this can't be for just gas. We have ducted heating and cooling - could this be gas rather than electric?

That'll be your ducted heating and it sounds about right for 4 weeks in winter.

It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins - Chinese proverb

yep, our bill with ducted heating (set to 21C in the evenings) and hot water - 1 bath, 2 showers, loads of washing each day, is about that. It's gone up about 30% recently so Julia can save the world from some temperature change apparently.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Been in our place since Oct 2011 & have paid $2000 on gas to date - we have LPG gas

Visa 475 lodged 12th Feb 2010

VISA GRANTED 11.03.11

What are people paying who live in Canberra?

Our Winter gas bill is usually about $700 (we have gas cook top as well as gas central heating). The thermostat keeps the house at a minimum of 18c. It warms the house to 22c before we get up in the morning and again before we get home but it is off during the night and through the day unless the temp falls below 18c. It is on through the day on the weekends.

Our house is really well insulated though so that would be keeping our bills lower than some other estimates provided.

Guest nickjm

We just got a bill for $750 for 2 months (Melbourne)! and we are not home during the day. I think the dog is having a party while we are not home...

Guest nimhug
We just got a bill for $750 for 2 months (Melbourne)! and we are not home during the day. I think the dog is having a party while we are not home...

What provider are you with if you dont mind me asking, we are trying to choose at the moment? I know it's been cold but the houses here are so difficult to heat!

Guest nickjm

We are with AGL. We rang them and they automatically gave us a 17% discount on future bills, so it's always worth asking.

Guest charleysmum74
We are with AGL. We rang them and they automatically gave us a 17% discount on future bills, so it's always worth asking.

what did you ask for? we have just signed up with AGL...

Hey Guys,

Hey there.... Did you miss the memo at the 'working in Aus expo'?

You have moved to the most expensive, over regulated place on the planet......!!

Geez, it really seems like the corporate 'population growth via oversea's propaganda' agenda is working hey. Seems to be a never ending parade of people spinning out about the cost of living. I'm sure Davina McCall or who-ever is presenting 'life down under' now-adays could be brought up on false advertising charges I reckon!!!

Sorry - on a serious note... Yep, sounds about right - wait till Julia's world saving tax starts upping your leccy bills too. Fun times in the lucky country :-)

In Canberra, the quarter for winter you are looking at anywhere from $800 to $1200 on average if you have ducted heating and depending on how you run it (24 hours, programmed on and off, what temperature it is set at, how good your insulation is etc). Ducted heating is hugely expensive but necessary. The way to deal with it is to "evenpay" across 12 months to average out your bills as gas bills will be nothing in the summer in comparison.

To give you an idea, we recently moved to a rental with ducted heating. Our winter bill in the house with ducted heating was $442 for 6 weeks (including new account charges) so I'd estimate it would have come in at roughly $800 for the quarter. We have good insulation with heavy block out curtains etc in this rental though, very lucky. We don't run the heating at night either and it is set to 18 degrees. In comparison, for the same quarter last year in a house without ducted heating but with a vulcan wall heater, we paid $283 for the quarter. Of course, we were freezing though!!!

I know Canberrans who are paying the higher end ($1000 to $1200) winter bills but they are running their ducted heating 24/7 as they have babies and perceive anything under 21 degrees to be cold. :laugh: They would run it at about 22 degrees during the day and 18 overnight.

We're in Canberra

House about 25 squares, a bit old so average insulation

2 gas units installed because of house size and vaulted ceilings in middle of house

Windows galore so fair amount of heat loss potential

Even pay about $180/month

Guest nickjm
what did you ask for? we have just signed up with AGL...

We just rang and told them that we thought the bill was excessive and threatened to go elsewhere...thats when they gave us the discount.

Guest charleysmum74

we had a guy come to the door yesterday from Australian power and Gas and they give 14% discount if you pay on time, also their standing charges are a lot less than AGL. I changed ;)