worried by comments reassurance needed :)

jodi73red

I have been reading a lot of negative comments on here and a lot of people heading back to the UK and it make's me nervous about uping my family , husband and 2 girls to move back to Australia ( i am Australian). would love to hear from people who have done it and loved it . My husband will be ex army and is hoping to go into logistics or dump truck driving on the mines and i am a former nanny and cleaning supervisor who wants to go into family day care. I look forward to reply's

I have been reading a lot of negative comments on here and a lot of people heading back to the UK and it make's me nervous about uping my family , husband and 2 girls to move back to Australia ( i am Australian). would love to hear from people who have done it and loved it . My husband will be ex army and is hoping to go into logistics or dump truck driving on the mines and i am a former nanny and cleaning supervisor who wants to go into family day care. I look forward to reply's

All I got to say is "life is what you make it" :)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Most of the negative stuff you are reading are posted in the MBTTUK threads, which account for about 1% of the posts on PIO, just stay out of the minority threads in MBTTUK section and read all the positives on the by far many more migrating to upbeat threads. Best of luck.

Guest Guest63690

Hi Jodi73red,

Your post got me thinking. And this is what I want to add. When I was pregnant, I read up on things that could go wrong in labour, as well as the things that were more likely to go right. When i moved to a new area, I researched the bad side of the area as well as the good. And I even lived with my hubby before we got married (try before you buy is my motto). If you read only the positive threads and posts you are more likely to be ill prepared and disappointed when you move. Hoff is right that the majority of the posts on the forum are of a positive nature, but the less positive posts are useful to wannabe migrants too, in that they get you thinking before you come out, of things that might be a problem for you, like homesickness, cost of living, areas that are too out of the way, the way relatives react sometimes. By all means enjoy reading all the positive posts and wallow in how good it might all end up for you, but please do not be scared to delve into the less good side of emigration too. Ironically it might end up helping it be a success. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi Jodi73red,

Your post got me thinking. And this is what I want to add. When I was pregnant, I read up on things that could go wrong in labour, as well as the things that were more likely to go right. When i moved to a new area, I researched the bad side of the area as well as the good. And I even lived with my hubby before we got married (try before you buy is my motto). If you read only the positive threads and posts you are more likely to be ill prepared and disappointed when you move. Hoff is right that the majority of the posts on the forum are of a positive nature, but the less positive posts are useful to wannabe migrants too, in that they get you thinking before you come out, of things that might be a problem for you, like homesickness, cost of living, areas that are too out of the way, the way relatives react sometimes. By all means enjoy reading all the positive posts and wallow in how good it might all end up for you, but please do not be scared to delve into the less good side of emigration too. Ironically it might end up helping it be a success. Good luck whatever you decide.

Very well said

Bering an aussie and having already moved to the Uk try and think back to then. What surprised you - good and bad. What did you like about the UK, what annoys you and what do you hate about it. The same will appply to Oz i am sure. Also remember that Australia has changed since you left, sometimes for the better and somethigns may have got worse. Moving to the other side of the world has had its tough moments for both of us in different ways but with love and support we have got through it and both love it here now. I cant imagine going back to england.

Do as much research as you can but also think of the move as a change of life and new experiences. For your kids i think they will be very positive ones in particular. Good luck with your decision

Everybody has different reasons for moving so it's almost impossible to tell if it's going to be the right place for you by reading other peoples opinions and experience's.

Since moving over we have never looked back and we love it here. Perth has given us the chance to achieve so much more then we could in the uk.

Every day we sit in the garden when we both get home from work and say how lucky we are to have the life we now have.

It's good to read both good and bad posts on here but sometimes we can let our feelings blur the line between fact and fiction which don't help anyone in my opinion.

Perth and WA is an amazing place.

All the best.

We did it and love it. Moved to Sydney three and a half years ago with my husband and two young daughters. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world.

There is a very vocal minority who like to tell everyone how awful Australia is, but I would imagine the vast majority of people get on fine.

I moved back to UK to live after I was married and I found it very different as had been away a while, got used to it and then we moved back over here. I then found Aus very different and had to get used to it again. Just go with the flow, there will be things you don't like when you return as they are alien when we have been away. However after we got settled I just fell back into life here and we are still here. Nothing stays the same so expect things to be different.

Guest guest36187

Negative isn't all bad. You need a balance f both in order to make informed decisions on what is right. It might be one negative post that flags something that you haven't thought about.

At the end of the day, only you know what's right for you and your family. I wish you all the luck in the world. X

I feel certain that there are less people moving back to the UK than not, unless you are reading solely in the MBTTUK forum. :wink:

There are loads of people on PIO who are positive about their move, but I agree with an earlier post, it is good preparation to read both sides.

Are your family still in Australia and if so will you be moving to be close to them? My OH is Australian and we've just moved to be closer to his family. I think it makes quite a difference if you have some kind of support network already in place when you arrive. We've had lots of practical help with things like accomodation, unoacking, watching kids while we get sorted and moving furniture. There's also the moral support and social aspect as well.

Even if you don't have this kind of support to go to the fact that you a Australian gives you an advantage over many people migrating in thepat you are already familiar with things like centerlink, medicare and the way politics works over here. No e can really ow if it is going to work out for them and their family until they try, and everyone experiences the same things completely differently. Don't let the negative posts put you off but do use them to alert you to the things that might be an issue so you can be prepared.

Good luck.

Hi Jodi73red,

Very true. Not forgetting that those that do fall flat in their face often have no wish to broadcast it. The OP should indeed consult carefully other threads on Perth. Note also in all probability a downturn in the mining sector is on the cards. Don't assume automaticly it's going to be a better life. In the end it amounts to individual choices. Some folk are doing it tough in UK and don't live in the best of areas. More to win or lose?

Or one come ahead and check it out first prior to uprooting? Nobody can say what's best for the OP ...but I understand folk prefer to hear sweet endearments than the brutal truth......

I think youi will be just fine- particularly being an Aussie to start with. You wouldn't be human if you weren't a bit nervous but really, changing towns locally is just as bad in a way. You have to make new friends, join new activities, get new jobs. You have the advantage of being here before. Ignore the doomsayers, they are like the poor, always with us !

Guest Scarlett10

I have worked as a nurse both in Aus and in the UK. I have to say that whilst in the UK - I met many nurses who were Australian and working in the English hospitals for 1-2 years. They always had an immensely strong focus that no matter how much they were enjoying the experience - they were always heading home (to Aus) in the end - as nothing could beat it.

This is very different to the UK nurses that I worked with Aus. They were all applying for visa's to stay as they did not wish to give up their Australian life! If I had a £1 for the times I heard the comments "England's gone to the dogs"....I would indeed be very rich and be able to have the house in Aus and the house in the UK that would make life perfect!

From my own experience...we came out to Victoria in 2001 and stayed for 10 years. Totally loved it. Came back to the UK 20 months ago following sad circumstances...and have not felt "at home" or settled at all. Australia is very light filled, optimistic and easy to live in. If you are having a down moment - you could visit the parks, stare at the sea or wander the city. I have found that during a down moment here - it is usually rainy,overcast and fairly cold outside...so not much good for lifting the spirits!

As many have said - life is totally what you make of it. I have not made as much as I could have being here (probably) - but that probably spells out to me that a move back is on the cards.

Embrace every opportunity you can when you get to Perth (don't turn down any invitations!) and you will enjoy your life :)

Regardless of what others say, do and try.......they are not you. Plan & research the best you can but only once you arrive will any doubts be realised, dispelled or overcome. Whats the worst that can happen.....you dont like it, so what? As we used to say in the army.......At least the RSM cant make me pregnant.

Hi Jodi73red,

Totally agree.... you should look at the good and bad and be informed so things arnt such a shock once you get there.... if you only look at the good things then you may well be overwhelmed when (not so good things) happen....

Archived