Suburbs to live in Perth that no one ever mentions

Bob1

Butler=little Britain...

Suburbs not really mentioned....edgewater...a gem of a place and an area I would buy in...excellant connections to freeway and train station near bunnings....we live in hocking....alot of peeps I speak to haven't a foggiest where that is...Alexander heights....not really mentioned looks a nice area.

I would also say Edgewater. As for Butler being little Britain, if you check the census statistics, Butler comes in at just over 23% born in England, Edgewater not far behind at 21.6% and my own suburb of Connolly a massive 27.6%. It's quite interesting as although Butler would appear to be a magnet for poms, there are in fact other suburbs that have a surprisingly high % of English. Hocking is 12% in case you were interested.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also say Edgewater. As for Butler being little Britain, if you check the census statistics, Butler comes in at just over 23% born in England, Edgewater not far behind at 21.6% and my own suburb of Connolly a massive 27.6%. It's quite interesting as although Butler would appear to be a magnet for poms, there are in fact other suburbs that have a surprisingly high % of English. Hocking is 12% in case you were interested.

Butler only 23% English ... But 80 % British .

Guest asaandanirish

has anyone got opinions on wanero...i dont hear alot of good things...or bad really....where are good places in waneroo and bad places??? the rent thre is ooo much cheaper but am wondering why???

thanx

When I look at the Perthpoms website everyone seems to be moving to Secret Harbour or Butler - it's as if they are the only suburbs people discuss or they hear about so I thought it would be good to mention some that people have never heard about.

I had to visit Wattle Grove the other day -I'd never heard of it even though I've lived here for years. It's near the airport, between Tonkin and Roe highways so easy commute to places. Checked the primary school out on my school web site and it does well - good little school. Not sure where the kids go to high school mind you. Lots of new houses - couldn't find one listed for rent so may be it's a best kept secret.

Any one else know of any suburbs worth a mention just to widen options?

YOU can always try kalgoorlie or scarborough or geraldton or albany rockingham ...hope this helps bob :biggrin:

has anyone got opinions on wanero...i dont hear alot of good things...or bad really....where are good places in waneroo and bad places??? the rent thre is ooo much cheaper but am wondering why???

thanx

There is a reason why there are cheap rents, not hard to work out why. I know I live in WA.

There is a reason why there are cheap rents, not hard to work out why. I know I live in WA.

But do you actually have anything positive to add to this thread??

Some of the nicer suburbs (pricey I know) would be Bicton, Melville, Carine and City Beach.

I also love Booragoon and Joondanna - for very different reasons.

There are lovely suburbs in Perth and I believe we are very lucky when it comes to amenities - pretty much everywhere.

But do you actually have anything positive to add to this thread??

Some of the nicer suburbs (pricey I know) would be Bicton, Melville, Carine and City Beach.

I also love Booragoon and Joondanna - for very different reasons.

There are lovely suburbs in Perth and I believe we are very lucky when it comes to amenities - pretty much everywhere.

Firstly that was a positive thing to say, cheap rent means s##t area, easy as that. Peppermint grove and balga, say no more. And as of having good amenities any thing will be better than the Scottish highlands, I'm from SE England and I think there 2nd rate to say the least.

Firstly that was a positive thing to say, cheap rent means s##t area, easy as that. Peppermint grove and balga, say no more. And as of having good amenities any thing will be better than the Scottish highlands, I'm from SE England and I think there 2nd rate to say the least.

I don't mean to be rude but I'd appreciate if you didn't make this personal. You know nothing of me or where I am from.

And cheap rent does not always mean s**t area. You can get reasonable rents in a number of decent suburbs - Bedford, Dianella, Guildford, Morley, East Cannington, Carlisle, to name but a few.

Your negative views take away from the entire focus of the thread and do not add much in the way of useful information.

Areas do not make rents cheaper, size of property, amenities, condition. When I say condition it may not be decorated in 2012 style may be dated but does not mean its rubbish.

A lot of people like to live in areas with a cross section of the community, nice and not so nice all in the eyes of the beholder. As a rule I have found that the people who appear to have less are more inclined to help in a crisis or are more friendly. People who have more are so busy counting their pile.

Wanneroo is OK. It is an older suburb, once planned for a main town but now they have Joondalup on the doorstep developments in Waneroo seem to have slowed down. If you moved there there is a massive choice of housing, from new estates to older established houses with big gardens. Probably even a few of the market gardens still going which thrived in Wanneroo at one time.

There are a few pubs and we had one of the best value meals in ages at a Wanerroo pub a few weeks ago. Noticed a lot of English accents but that's not unusual or a bad thing on a night out in WA. Don't know what the big deal is about how many people of what nationality live in what suburb, Wherever you move to it's not going to be anything like the UK, new arrivals adapt and change and are different people just for being here.

There are a few suburbs near the beach that are older and still a good buy I reckon. Padbury, Criagie, Beldon and Heathridge are all decent older suburbs just not the sea side of Marmion avenue. If they were on the sea side you could instantly add $50,000 to the price of a comparable house, for some reason.

Edited by Paul1Perth

I don't mean to be rude but I'd appreciate if you didn't make this personal. You know nothing of me or where I am from.

And cheap rent does not always mean s**t area. You can get reasonable rents in a number of decent suburbs - Bedford, Dianella, Guildford, Morley, East Cannington, Carlisle, to name but a few.

Your negative views take away from the entire focus of the thread and do not add much in the way of useful information.

Ok go rent in balga and say I'm wrong, many old areas are not great to live in. And back to the high lands all I'm saying is amenities in the high lands proberly won't be that good. That's why Perth may seem well equipped now I'm from London and I think there second class..

Ok go rent in balga and say I'm wrong, many old areas are not great to live in. And back to the high lands all I'm saying is amenities in the high lands proberly won't be that good. That's why Perth may seem well equipped now I'm from London and I think there second class..

I live in Gosnells - I think I'm probably in good position to comment. And I actually looked at properties in Balga before buying in Gosnells. Like anywhere, there are good and bad parts in each. Generalising gives a very distorted view.

And FYI the amenities and facilities in the Highlands are excellent.

I live in Gosnells - I think I'm probably in good position to comment. And I actually looked at properties in Balga before buying in Gosnells. Like anywhere, there are good and bad parts in each. Generalising gives a very distorted view.

And FYI the amenities and facilities in the Highlands are excellent.

London or the Highlands would be a long way from a decent beach and anywhere like Hillary's.

camusdarach-beach.jpg

This was the closest beach (about 3 miles away) when I was growing up.

Admittedly, most of the coastal towns aren't like Hillarys but they were still very pretty.

paul1977 - I've also lived in London & Dublin and travelled extensively so my world knowledge isn't limited to the Highlands.

Edited by surflen22

London or the Highlands would be a long way from a decent beach and anywhere like Hillary's.

Hilary's has a lovely beach but is lifeless like most WA beaches and WA in general. PeoPle from the east don't like WA

Edited by The Pom Queen
Forum Rules

Hilary's has a lovely beach but is lifeless like most WA beaches and WA in general. PeoPle from the east don't like WA

Very much agree. I just find Hillary's artificial and not warranting much more than a once yearly visit. I do concede that if there were young children in the equation may look at it differently.... Still prefer Cott when it comes to beaches. Northern beaches appear very void to me.

Folk from over East are in my experience either bowled over by the relaxness and lifestyle of the place(talking more pre boom here) or find it a boring backwater with limited offerings especially the young.

Really?? Our head office is in Sydney and just about everyone who visits here says they love it. I have a workmate who lives in Canberra and he and his family would move here in an instant if there was a job to come to. Most people I've met from over East who've been to WA love it and the ones that haven't been seem keen to ask questions, most say they've heard good things about it.

Don't know what your definition of lifeless is but I love WA beaches where you can find your own space on a gorgeous day without fighting for a square inch to put a towel down. Hillary's would be one of the busier ones.

I lived and worked in London in the late 80's for a couple of years and hated it. Too busy, dirty, expensive, people not very friendly, nightmare to drive anywhere, couldn't really find a lot to do sportswise that didn't cost the earth. Takes all kinds.

Guest JK2510

My fave beach is mullaloo...that's our closest...cott beach is nice but a bit I find the water a little rough...hilarys is ok...my kids find it a little boring but is ideal for young ones..

So going back to the main purpose of this thread, do you know of any suburbs worth a mention that are rarely discussed on here Paul or are you just going to hijack the thread with your own negative views? By the way, I am also from the Scottish Highlands and the beaches are fabulous - when you have a day without rain or midgies. And 'amenities' changes depending what age you are - so far I found them great for all ages. What 'amenities' do you actually find lacking and may be we can suggest a suburb for you to move to that have them!

• 2 weeks later...
So going back to the main purpose of this thread, do you know of any suburbs worth a mention that are rarely discussed on here Paul or are you just going to hijack the thread with your own negative views? By the way, I am also from the Scottish Highlands and the beaches are fabulous - when you have a day without rain or midgies. And 'amenities' changes depending what age you are - so far I found them great for all ages. What 'amenities' do you actually find lacking and may be we can suggest a suburb for you to move to that have them!

Can't be that good mate as moved to Australia

Edited by paul1977