You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

StevieF8

Why Don’t People ‘Get Australia’?

Seriously what do you expect when you get off the plane, to find a sunnier, hotter version of the UK and that’s it?

Australia must be the only Commonwealth country where people do that,

Australia is not the UK, in the same way that Canada is not the UK, Jamaica is not the UK and Swaziland is not the UK

They don’t have the same way of life as people in the UK, if you are expecting to get off the plane and find UK: Southern Hemisphere Branch you are in for a major shock

There ARE similarities, but they are not the same country

There are quite a few threads on here about the cost of living and the price of food & drinks

Yes some things are more expensive, but some things are cheaper and if you go and spend £100 a week in Sainsburys, don’t expect to spend $100 in Coles.

It’s a different currency, a different exchange rate, a different cost of living

They don’t live on 99p microwave meals from Iceland; they don’t have a Primark to buy clothes for £1, they don’t have 60m+ people living there to create competition in the shops to help drive prices down

If you really don’t get that you are going to get a whole new way of life, then you will really struggle to fit in there and make a success of it

:mad::arghh::realmad:

:animal-bat:

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

good post............

Australia doesn't let people down

Peoples EXPECTATIONS of Australia let them down.....

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Arriving in Oz Sept 2012 !!!! :cool:

Guest Andy
Seriously what do you expect when you get off the plane, to find a sunnier, hotter version of the UK and that’s it?

Australia is not the UK, in the same way that Canada is not the UK, Jamaica is not the UK and Swaziland is not the UK

They don’t have the same way of life as people in the UK, if you are expecting to get off the plane and find UK: Southern Hemisphere Branch you are in for a major shock

There are quite a few threads on here about the cost of living and the price of food & drinks

Yes some things are more expensive, but some things are cheaper and if you go and spend £100 a week in Sainsburys, don’t expect to spend $100 in Coles.

It’s a different currency, a different exchange rate, a different cost of living

They don’t live on 99p microwave meals from Iceland; they don’t have a Primark to buy clothes for £1, they don’t have 60m+ people living there to create competition in the shops to help drive prices down

If you really don’t get that you are going to get a whole new way of life, then you will really struggle to fit in there and make a success of it

Alright keep yer hair on :eek:

Lol. Some people don't anticipate what it's like until they're actually there. Well in fact how could anyone know until you're living your life in Oz. Not sure why you need to rant at people who have different expectations and then once they're in Oz realise that things are much different than what they thought. It's just life people make mistakes, or rather have realisations and learn lessons.

Lol. Some people don't anticipate what it's like until they're actually there. Well in fact how could anyone know until you're living your life in Oz. Not sure why you need to rant at people who have different expectations and then once they're in Oz realise that things are much different than what they thought. It's just life people make mistakes, or rather have realisations and learn lessons.

It’s not a rant, it’s just my observations from some of the threads I’ve been reading on here in the past few weeks, how many have there been where people say I bought this from the shop and I could have got it for half the price back in UK

What they don’t say is their wage amount has tripled from what they had in the UK

£25,000 in the UK and spending £5000 is the same as $75,000 in Oz and spending $15,000

It’s still 20% of your wages, just the amount has changed

Yes, some people might find it different to what they thought it would be when they actually got there, but it’s not like all the information in the world isn’t at hand

People don’t just rock up at the airport and get on a plane and go ant live in OZ,

it takes a long time to get a visa, more than enough time to look into things, you have to get that visa validated which gives you a chance to test the water before you move, people don’t go into it totally blind like they did years ago

I wonder how many £10 Poms came back, and they went with next to no information

Personally I don’t care if they all come back to the UK, just don’t understand all the complaining about the place :mad:

:confused:

You have great faith in people Stevie that they actually do research, etc. Unfortunately a lot of people do not pay heed to anything, they just go on their merry way oblivious to information. We only have to look at election days to know this, people who have not followed politics at all, do not know the issues, head off to the polling booths and merrily vote for whoever the Hun thinks we should.

Sad but true. Looking at my friends I think only 2 of them ever follow any sort of issue or read the papers.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Surely if you contemplate moving to the other side of the world you anticipate what it might be like? I agree the reality of it is quite different but I disagree that you don't anticipate what it will be like. We also now have tons of migrations forums and internet sites - even in 2006 when we started our migration journey - there were few people who lived in Aus who contributed to the sites - but whilst not totally knowing what to expect I still had a fairly good idea that it would not be the UK with sunshine, the the UK's leading supermarkets weren't established in Aus, that variety and brands of foods were different.

Edited by ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Well said

Stevie, you're making a big fat assumption about why some people don't feel they fit in here. It's not just about cost of living or people expecting it to be "the UK with sunshine". Sure, there are loads of those threads on prices (too many probably) but for some people prices over here for lots of things do come as a shock so it's hardly surprising

People who live in the UK but get upset about those living in Australia failing to "love it" - that's more weird than those over here banging on about prices all the time

Edited by northshorepom

Surely if you contemplate moving to the other side of the world you anticipate what it might be like? I agree the reality of it is quite different but I disagree that you don't anticipate what it will be like. We also now have tons of migrations forums and internet sites - even in 2006 when we started our migration journey - there were few people who lived in Aus who contributed to the sites - but whilst not totally knowing what to expect I still had a fairly good idea that it would not be the UK with sunshine, the the UK's leading supermarkets weren't established in Aus, that variety and brands of foods were different.

You can't research how living somewhere will make you feel - you have to give it a try and experience it yourself

How long did you live and work in australia?

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Long enough to know what I'm talking about

Great post from someone who as really experienced oz

You have great faith in people Stevie that they actually do research, etc. Unfortunately a lot of people do not pay heed to anything, they just go on their merry way oblivious to information. We only have to look at election days to know this, people who have not followed politics at all, do not know the issues, head off to the polling booths and merrily vote for whoever the Hun thinks we should.

Sad but true. Looking at my friends I think only 2 of them ever follow any sort of issue or read the papers.

But thats their choice petals, why are you bothered what other people do? Live your life...do not worry about what other people think and do with their lives.

Edited by Perthbum

good post............

Australia doesn't let people down

Peoples EXPECTATIONS of Australia let them down.....

You could say exactly the same

of any country including the UK agreed?

Guest Guest16631

........there is so much more than shopping and food................it's a whole new experience...........from the smell of the place ,the strong scent after a storm........the feel of the place.........the humidity ,sweat running down your back when your only washing up..............the look of the place...........the huge night sky with what looks like millions of stars..............and miles and miles of roads with nothing to see................the diversity ,the wildlife...............and a culture geared towards outdoor life................the language............all these and so much more............are what we cannot really research.............how you will........feel.........but to give it a go............perhaps with no expectations.............!.............and many more will then ...get......Australia....IMO.....

........there is so much more than shopping and food................it's a whole new experience...........from the smell of the place ,the strong scent after a storm........the feel of the place.........the humidity ,sweat running down your back when your only washing up..............the look of the place...........the huge night sky with what looks like millions of stars..............and miles and miles of roads with nothing to see................the diversity ,the wildlife...............and a culture geared towards outdoor life................the language............all these and so much more............are what we cannot really research.............how you will........feel.........but to give it a go............perhaps with no expectations.............!.............and many more will then ...get......Australia....IMO.....

Some experience it, some dont, dont some prefer the smell of the Scottish highlands..some don't, some love the smell of a crisp

Winter morning in the wilderness of snowden some don't , it is all personal.

Guest Guest16631
Some experience it, some dont, dont some prefer the smell of the Scottish highlands..some don't, some love the smell of a crisp

Winter morning in the wilderness of snowden some don't , it is all personal.

.......yes I agree.......it's these very personal things......our preferences....our feelings ....that often have the last say.........not wether the sausages are any good.......or if there are any m&s......stores.......lol.....

You can't research how living somewhere will make you feel - you have to give it a try and experience it yourself

No you can't anticipate the full impact of how a place will make you feel, but the post I responded to said some people don't anticipate what it's like (in response to the suggestion that it was like England with sunshine). But in someways you can anticipate feelings ... I anticipated that I might feel lonely, isolated etc., and gave some thought to how I might overcome that. Look at the thousands of posts on here saying "I think i'll miss my family/friends" - the impact of that won't hit them until they are living the reality of it - but they've certainly anticipated it.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

You could say exactly the same

of any country including the UK agreed?

Definatley

Some people 'get Australia' & some folk don't..some people research as much as they can and settle & others who do all the info gathering don't..some people leap in faith and love it & some don't..different strokes, different folks..it is so personal and you can join forums, which are great or ask advice from others, which will give you insight into their experiences, but at the end of the day they are not your experiences & your the only one who will live with your choices..i was a ten pound pom in 1966 and the conditions my parents, my brothers and i arrived to in the hostels, were pretty dire...my Mum would have returned straight away, but they couldn't..so luckily for me they stuck it out for another eleven years..their courage has spread through the family giving many of us the opportunity to live in Aus..i love it with a passion and always have..it has caused ups and downs for many, but for me i 'get Australia' and always will..i don't expect anyone to understand that feeling and don't see why they have to..there is no magic answer to whether you will settle in Aus or not, but if you have the courage, which i think it takes and is certainly admirable...Australia can be a magical place for some:wink:...

Former Resident visa (subclass 151) granted in 1999 - Living back in Perth...

Terri :smile:

all very nice rhetoric on paper, but the reality is that some people just don't feel right here, for lots of reasons.

Why is that hard to accept?

My Brain Hurts!

all very nice rhetoric on paper, but the reality is that some people just don't feel right here, for lots of reasons.

Why is that hard to accept?

I just starting a thread asking a question

The same as there is a currently a poll going on here asking why people leave Oz.......

Personally I don’t care if they all come back to the UK, just don’t understand all the complaining about the place :mad:

I just starting a thread asking a question

The same as there is a currently a poll going on here asking why people leave Oz.......

no you weren't just asking a question you were pointing an accusatory finger at people who have struggled to fit in here.

My Brain Hurts!

it’s just my observations from some of the threads I’ve been reading on here in the past few weeks, how many have there been where people say I bought this from the shop and I could have got it for half the price back in UK

It's a public forum of you don't like it, log off!

Guest Dreamy

I don't really think it's that people don't do the research or they don't understand that it's not the UK with sun (although I'm sure there are a few who rock off the plane in that situation) - I think its that migrating is a huge experience which can be completely overwhelming once the realities set in. If the way you deal with that is to compare back to an existing frame of reference, then fair enough, so long as you can eventually move on.

I suppose the real problem is if people are still bemoaning the lack of Marks & Spencer etc 4-5 years after they get here.. then the underlying issue is one of incompatibility with their new location (which is unfortunate if they're stuck here for whatever reason)

Having said that, despite being very happy and well settled here, I still retain the right to moan about the lack of Walkers Smoky Bacon crisps if I want to (although I am now rather fond of Smiths Thinly Cut Thai Sweet Chilli chips).