mackay base hospital

Guest erma

Hi everyone

I have been offered a job at Mackay Base hospital just waiting for registration and nomination number so I can get the ball rolling with the visa. I cant wait, I would go tomorrow if I could, I am fed up of the cold and the rain:sad:

Anyway I just wondered if anybody out there has worked, is working or knows of anybody that is working at the hosital?

Cheers

Erma

Hi Erma,

I have recently been offered a job at Mackay Base Hospital, I will like to know how you got on Erma. I would like to know if any one has lived or worked in Mackay or surrounding town such as Porserpine or Arlie beach. How is life over there.

Many Thanks... Timi

Hi Timi

Have you accepted the offer? I assume if you have, you will be going on a 457 visa, if so how far have you got with it? When are you hoping to be out there? You never know we may end up working together!

Hi Erma,

I have accepted the job offer and have commenced applying for the 457 visa online. How long does it take to process the 457 vsa? Have you started yours? Have you found out anymore info about life in Mackay?

Kind Regards

:v_SPIN::v_SPIN:Timi

Hi Erma,

I have accepted the job offer and have commenced applying for the 457 visa online. How long does it take to process the 457 vsa? Have you started yours? Have you found out anymore info about life in Mackay?

Kind Regards

:v_SPIN::v_SPIN:Timi

Hi Timi

I have not started the visa application yet as I am still waiting for registration and nomination number. Apparently getting registered is the longest wait. How long did you have to wait?

I have found a post by Chrissy63 who is a nurse and her time line for 457 visa is very quick.

457 lodged 9/11/07 to visa approved 2/01/08

I have heard good reports about Mackay, apparently it is relaxed, friendly and a lovely area to live. Not buzzing like Brisbane and Sydney, but that will do for me.

Housing seems to be a bit of an issue as there has been an increase in the population due to the mine workers. House prices have gone up and renatals are difficult to come by. But new housing is springing up all over. I would gladly camp out on the beach though!

Apparently the hospital is good but a bit outdated and is too small for the recent increase in population but I think plans area in place to expand.

Let me know how you get on with everything and if you find anymore info.

Cheers:smile:

Erma

Hi Erma,

It took me five months to get to get my registration and nomination. As soon as you get your registration fron QNC, notify the hospital, they will send you an appointment letter and this will be followed by a nomination number and then you can apply online for your 457.

Best wishes

Timi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RossDV8

Hello to both of you. I am Ross, I am an Aussie and a long term resident of Mackay and a frequent visitor to Airlie Beach and Proserpine. (I have a small yacht at Shute Harbour, near Airlie. I do not work at the MBH but I have a long association with the place.

I was looking for some info on our local hospital and came across this thread. Having been a patient in the MBH many times, most recently as the victim of a hit & run (about a dozen fractures and a host of other injuries) I am familiar with the hospital and the district. I also have a very close friend who is an orthopod and so I tend to hear a little about the place from the 'other' side.

Like any hospital, there are internal issues,but hey, that will go with any job. For the greater part, it seems a good place to be and work.

As for the town itself, feel free to ask me any questions and I would be happy to fill you in on anything I can help with.

Anyway, I was looking for visiting hours, as my mate's wife is in awaiting a premmy caesarian so I had better go back to looking. They have a siesta time in the early afternoon at the "Base".

All the best with your applications. I hope you are successful and have a terrific time here.

If I can help with any answers I wil.

Cheers,

RossD.

p.s.

Emma, it is 30 degrees Celsius here at my computer, so you don;t have to worry too much about the cold at this time of year. It is our wet season though, so sometimes the rain buckets down over Christmas. The rain is usually around 25 degrees C :-)

In the middle of the year it is a different matter. It can get so cold at night we have to wear extra clothes and use more bed coverings. Sometimes at night the temperature can drop to a chilly 17 degrees Celsius or even one or two degrees colder. Brrrrrrrr!

(Brrrrrr! is a term we learned at University - I think)

Hi RossD

Thanks for the post. Life in Mackay sounds good and we (me and hubby) can`t wait. the hospital sound good also.

You seems to have the lifestyle my hubby would like - the yatch, Arlie etc. We are slow getting closer to our dream, yippee!

I will be picking your brains from time to time if you dont mind about Mackay, it is nice to have an expert on the inside so to speak!

The weather sounds great, apart from the rain, I think I could live with a chilly 17 degrees, here in Yorkshire it is mild for the time of the year 6 to -3 degrees (definately Brrrrr)

I hope everything goes ok for your mate, wife and baby.

Cheers

Erma

Guest RossDV8

Hi Erma,

I was going to offer to let you email me directly with questions but it seems the forum sends an emai when there's a reply. What I will do if you wish to send me an email is send you a few photos of Mackay and perhaps the hospital as well.

One thing that is an issue is the cost of housingm Mackay's property market went through a bit of a boom over the last few years. I have no idea what you have arranged by way of accommodation but I am happy to look up a few prices for you so there are not too many surprises.

Same goes for food prices. i.e. 1kg of blade roast (beef) is around $25 at the moment. Flavoured sausages (garlic & herb) are $6.99kg - I just checked the freezer. lol

Anyway, feel free to ask.

Actually, rather than letting you have my email address, I might post some pict to the web and link here. That way anyone else coming here can look too.

Cheers,

RossD

hi RossD

Im looking forward to seeing the photos.

I have been looking at house prices for rental and buying and they do seem to have gone up in the last few months. We were in queensland visting reletaves and doing a recci in March 2007 but unfortunately we didnt get as far as Mackay, but prices do seem to have risen since then, for also by the sound of things. You can still get a lot more for your money than you can over here in the UK though.

No plans at the moment as to accomadation as I am still waiting for visa, but I will be contacting you

for an update on the housing situation, best areas to live in etc.

Speak to you soon

thanks

Erma

Guest RossDV8

Houses seem to be around $300 to around $400 for someting reasonable. Prices this week are running from $270 to $650. Mid you, $650 is mostly out at the mines which won;t worry you.

Flats are going from $170 to $300ish and oddly some of the cheaper ones are still 2 bedroom.

Suburbs closest to the MBH are South Mackay, East Mackay and West Mackay as well as Mackay itself. You could walk to work from some of these.

Beach suburbs include East Mackay, Eimeo, Bucasia, Shoal Point, Slade Point, Dolphin Heads etc. with all except East Mackay being on the North side and nost being a 15 minute drive.

Fuel prices this week are around $1.35/litre for petrol, $0.78 for LPG and $1.40 for Diesel.

A couple of quick links for you to get an idea:

Houses and units for rent

Mackay Rentals - Property Managers, Mackay, Queensland, Australia

Click the yellow graphics at the top for houses and flats.

Click the yellow graphic at bottom left for a mud map for an idea of locations.

MBH is right on the river above the words "West Mackay".

You can get an idea of houses for sale here

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

Read carefully though. Some of the cheap ones are for ownership in holiday units at resorts.

If nothing else they will give you a feel for the current market.

Cheers,

RossD

p.s.

I'll get some prices for thigs like milk and bread and fruit and veggies over the next few days. Prices I put up will be 'off the shelf' on given days when I buy them - not 'specials'.

I had visitors from Wales a few years ago who came shopping with me and insisted on buying the meat for the Barbeque - just so they could tell their mates back home they bought prime rib fillet for under $10.00/kilo. Unfortunately due to droughts etc that same meat is now around $30.00 :-(

Hi Ross,

Thanks for this info it is great, we are going to have a very good idea of the cost of living when we arrive and hopefully no nasty shocks on prices.

Sorry I forgot to say earlier that I hope you have made a full recovery from your accident and I hope they caught the culprits (I can think of other words to describe them but I am been polite!)

Cheers

Erma

Guest RossDV8

Unfortunately I haven't made a full recovery. I lost a $100/hr job and am basically unemployed and unemployable for now. That's why you'll often see words like thigns instead of things in my posts. I had 99% accuracy at around 60wpm which was pretty good for a bloke. Now I have to constantly go back over every sentence and correct it - and sometimes I miss things.

I'm more or less over the 'why me?', but still depressed. I cope by helping others going through similar stuff, and I suppose doing silly stuff like this is helping people in a small way too.

There are thing you will have to get used to to live here, but all in all it is a pretty good place to be. We have very little in the way of racial problems compared to other places in Queensland. There's a certain amount of crime around, but I think the only thing I eve had stolen in 27 years here, was a pushbike from the back yard in broad daylight - a weird thing to happen.

Cas at the base is pretty busy. The emergency department handles all sorts of cases and the hospital is a bit understaffed, like all Aussie hospitals. That means you will be busy, as well as being very welcome.

Social life in Mackay is ok. Plenty of nice restaurants and some reasonable coffee places as well as the usual fish and chip shops etc. MacDonalds, Hungry Jacks (Burger King in the USA), Pizza places. Most things are catered for. In the last couple of weeks I have eaten out at an Indian restaurant with a water view, and at an Italian restaurant. We have a couple of very nice Thai restaurant, some good old steak houses and a couple of Chinese restaurants. There are also pubs where you can have a meal from around $5.00.

I'm on my way out, but I'll do the cost of living thing again before I go, just for fun. This is from the take away menu at the Italian restaurant. Dish prices are for 'large' although some are also available small.

King prawns fried in garlic, shallots & cream OR fried in chilli and Napoli. Served with herbed rice - $16.30

Oysters topped with a combination of bacon, garlic, parmesan, mozzarella, parsley & egg, grilled to perfection - $19.90

Caesar salad (you probably already know what's in it) $7.90

Greek salad - $7.50

Veal strips fried with garlic, basil, sweet chilli, onion, mustard with a dash of cream, all tossed through linguini topped with parmesan cheese - $14.90

Steak with garlic prawn sauce (what I had the other night) $21.90

(Most of their mains are around $21.00)

Risottos - $15.00 +/-

Desserts mostly around $4.50

That's just one place, but it will give you an idea of the cost of a night out. Three of us ate there for under $80 including some wine, but we only had a main meal each.

On the other hand you can get take away pizza from around $5.00. The Italian reastaurant I got the prices from also does pizza, at $7.00 for Marguerta up to 14.50 for a seafood delight. Average is around $10.50 and they beat the pizza chain ones by a mile. It is nice to taste fresh basil in a pizza.

Ok, enough of my rant for now. At least you know you can eat out occasionally somewhere nice.

Oh, there are two cinemas and various other entertainment venues and a heap of pubs and clubs.

Cheers,

RossD

Hi guys,

Another future mackay resident here. Well, for a while anyway. I'm a doc from ireland going out tot he childrens hospital in brissie. But as part of my rotation I spend 3 months at mackay base hospital from mid april to mid july.

I'll be doing paeds. anybody know anything about the department?

Is mackay a nice place to spand 3 months?

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Visa has been a nightmare I have to say.

Hi Ross and Safc#1

Ross,

Thanks for the info It is useful as it gives us an idea of the cost of living, it sounds very much on a par with prices over here, and there seems to be plenty to do.

Safc#1,

Hello there, Ive no idea about the hospital only what I have looked up and info from Ross, but it seems Ok but I suppose we will find out when we get there I`ll be on adult medicine (registered nurse) hopefully about May but as you say getting a visa is a nightmare, everything seems to take so long.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you get on

cheers

Erma

I May see you soon you never know!

Hi all

I am a bit worried, I have just read an article in Mackays Daily Mercury (online) about the state of Mackay Base Hospital.

i knew it was in need of some updating but There has been a petition and there is to be a forum about the ".. underfunded and inadequate" state of the hospital in Mackay, Does anybody know anything about this. I am trying to get away from the underfunded and sometimes inadeque NHS. I dont want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire so to speak.

Guest RossDV8

All I can really tell you about the hospital itself is from a patient's point of view plus a little from knowing some staff there.

It is fairly old and has had new additions added. In fact in the last 20 years the buildings have probably doubled in area. I think the thing visitors don't realise is the sheer size of Australia and our individual states. You look at a map in an atlas and it looks more or less lerge, but look on a map of the entire world and look how many times you can fit the entire U.K. into one of our smaller states ad you will get what I mean.

For example, yesterday I drove up to Shute Harbour to check my yacht and pump out a mate's yacht after all the rain and floods we've had lately. Being summer here, it has rained heavily for a few weeks and huge areas of the state have been seriously flooded. We did around 370 kilometres yesterday afternoon for the round trip. For us it is just a normal drive to the next reasonable sized town and back, but in Europe we would have traversed several states.

The Mackay Base Hospital services that radius and more around the city. Because of the amount of traffic there is quite a lot of road trauma from MVAs. As I think I mentioned earlier I suffered more than a dozen fractures plus other injuries in one accident.

While I may have an issue with the attitude of one or two orthopods (you know the ones - "I didn't have the intelligence to pass the cabbie's exam nor the dexterity to lay bricks, so I became a surgeon") that were at the hospital at that time, I have always previously found the levels of care at the hospital to be excellent.

I can't tell you a lot about the internal politics (without revealing my sources) but I can say there are a lot of people working there from outside Australia and that probably gives you a bit of a social advantage.

I have had no experience in recent years of the paediatric area - my son it 27 now. I currently have a friend she suffers Crohn's disease and is having a hard time with the pregnancy. She is receiving excellent care, although I am aware that there is a deficiency of staff and training levels there through one incident the other day when a filter was left off a line. It was noticed and rectified and the nurse reminded how important these things are pretty quickly, without the nurse being made to look like an idiot.

As I write this it is 26 degrees in what used to be my office. It will be a humid day after the rain we've had for the last few days.

When you do arrive, one thing you might consider early is buying a clothes dryer. If we get a normal wet season like this the air is a bit damp for a while after. Can make drying a little difficult. Generally though, the temp in a 'normal' year should be around 25 degrees Cels. most days. In an abnormal year the temps this time of year will be higher. While you will get used to the daytime heat fairly quickly you should make sure your accommodation has air conditioned bedrooms.

Coming off a shift at the hospital you are going to want to sleep, so aircon running on low in the bedroom will help you settle into a sleep in daytime of night time. Many houses and flats here have ceiling fans which keep the air moving.

ANY tropical area takes time to get used to, but it is worth it. I grew up in Victoria. Similar climate to the U.K. I came here for a holiday in the 70's, lived in various places around the country and returned here. My ex wife lives upstairs here and is a Scot who spent most of her life in Wales. She heads over there for visits but would never go back to live. We have her rellies visiting again from Wales this year. They are hooked on the place.

As far as places to go are concerned, there are some lovely spots within a pleasant drive. I am still putting together an online album. Because I spend so much time out of town I have few photos of the place itself, so a current project is to take a heap of pics of in and around Mackay itself for you guys. Hopefully whet your appetite a little.

We need all the poms we can get!

Cheers,

RossD.

Hi RossD

Thanks for that, you are a great source of information, you`ve put put my mind at ease somewhat about the hospital.

Cant wait to see the photos.

Cheers

Erma

• 3 months later...
Guest mrsjjm

hi ross my name is joanne my husband james! we are on the move to makay in the nxt couple of mnths you threads are great ,very interesting just wondering if i too could see the photos you are going to send erma? thanks jo

Guest guest17301

Hi Joanne, I'm a nurse from Stoke on Trent looking to move to Oz very soon, I have had some interest in my cv from Mackay Base and was hoping we could share our experiences etc, Cheers Fiona

Guest missymon
Hi all

I am a bit worried, I have just read an article in Mackays Daily Mercury (online) about the state of Mackay Base Hospital.

i knew it was in need of some updating but There has been a petition and there is to be a forum about the ".. underfunded and inadequate" state of the hospital in Mackay, Does anybody know anything about this. I am trying to get away from the underfunded and sometimes inadeque NHS. I dont want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire so to speak.

Hi Erma,

I too am looking for a post at a hospital in Oz and I came across this article about the Mackay which has totally made me wimp out. I thought things were bad here but this sounds terrible. I will keep looking.

Mackay Base Hospital needs first aid | The Courier-Mail:no:

Monica

Hi I have just been offered a job inMackay at an engineering place.

I am currently in the midst of selling my house over here (nightmare).

This thread is very interesting indeedy.

I will be working near the airport, (south i think) Where is the place to live near there, I am coming out with my wife, she teaches beauty therapy, and works in salons (what will her chances of a job be) and 2 kids, Robbie 10 and Rebecca 6 will they have plenty to do.

Lots of questions i know.

maybee bump into some of you guys soon.

P.S. sorry to here about your accident dude hope you are on the mend now.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest17301

Hi Erma, my name is Fiona and I have an interview with Mackay Base coming up for the surgical unit, I was wondering how you are getting on now and if you could possibly email me with some advice? Many thanks Fiona

Hi Fiona and John

Well we have arrived in Mackay and it has been a suprise to say the least in quite a few ways.

the weather is lovely, and the place itself is nice and is old fashioned in some sort of ways, and just about everyone seems freindly enough.

There are some fantastic beaches in Mackay and the surrounding areas - many of which you are adivised not to swim in because of crocs and stingers!! (The sea was so far out at one beach you couldnt see it). Many of the areas around Mackay are lovely. There is a new indoor shopping ccentre and the `city ` centre has some good shops too. I say city centre but I come from a small town and it is bigger than here.

John, not sure as to wether your wife would find work but there are quite a few hairdressers and nails parlours so she may be ok. As for kids Im not sure, We havent got any here. It does seem family orientated in general, sports especially.

we researched the area a lot before we arrived but were still suprised by what we have found.

It is expensive for just about everything, apparently it is supposed to be the most expensive city to live in, in australia at this time. We have found food slightly more expensive but there are only two of us so not really a problem. Vehicles are much more expensive than in Uk. We have bought a new 2008 hyundia because it was only slightly more expensive than a buying a 2000 model.You definately need a car here, everything is so far apart and public transport is poor.

I dont know if you will be renting but it is a lottery here. Rentals are thin on the ground and expensive. We looked at a few, along with the other 30 or so people that have turned up on the day to view the properties, They are expensive you are looking at upwards of $400 for something decent.

Anyway we will have to see how it goes, I think I could see us living here but it depends on wether we could actually find some where to live!

If you are interested I will keep you up to date with things, pm if you want any more info My knowledge is limited but I am willing to try and help with info if I can.

Fiona I have PM`d you

Cheers

Erma

PS sorry i`ve rambled on a bit

• 2 years later...

Hi Ross

i saw your post and was wondering if i could pick your brain, we are living in Adelaide been here from UK since 2007 and want to move to Mackay (warmer) we are thinking of doing a short holiday about Dec can you suggest some acomendation (sorry MHnurse but spelling crap) and can i ask away in the furture thanks

Hello to both of you. I am Ross, I am an Aussie and a long term resident of Mackay and a frequent visitor to Airlie Beach and Proserpine. (I have a small yacht at Shute Harbour, near Airlie. I do not work at the MBH but I have a long association with the place.

I was looking for some info on our local hospital and came across this thread. Having been a patient in the MBH many times, most recently as the victim of a hit & run (about a dozen fractures and a host of other injuries) I am familiar with the hospital and the district. I also have a very close friend who is an orthopod and so I tend to hear a little about the place from the 'other' side.

Like any hospital, there are internal issues,but hey, that will go with any job. For the greater part, it seems a good place to be and work.

As for the town itself, feel free to ask me any questions and I would be happy to fill you in on anything I can help with.

Anyway, I was looking for visiting hours, as my mate's wife is in awaiting a premmy caesarian so I had better go back to looking. They have a siesta time in the early afternoon at the "Base".

All the best with your applications. I hope you are successful and have a terrific time here.

If I can help with any answers I wil.

Cheers,

RossD.

p.s.

Emma, it is 30 degrees Celsius here at my computer, so you don;t have to worry too much about the cold at this time of year. It is our wet season though, so sometimes the rain buckets down over Christmas. The rain is usually around 25 degrees C :-)

In the middle of the year it is a different matter. It can get so cold at night we have to wear extra clothes and use more bed coverings. Sometimes at night the temperature can drop to a chilly 17 degrees Celsius or even one or two degrees colder. Brrrrrrrr!

(Brrrrrr! is a term we learned at University - I think)

Archived