WAITINGGAME

Declaring items under 12 months old for customs.

Hi

I'm n the process of filling in all my shipping information with John masons, can anyone tell me did you declare everything under 12 months old or did you chance leaving some items off.

I have bought a few items over the last 12 months

2 new cabin beds which kids are sleeping n now, boys bike for christmas, small tv Christmas, microwave, Toys I have been buying for christmas for this yr, sofa bed, tent not used, sun loungers, plus other bits...

Getting stressed now.

Thanks guys

Gained 176 visa May 2011, validated Melbourne Feb 2012....need to sell the house..:arghh:

I wouldn't declare them unless they are clearly new and still in the box.

The purpose of the tax code in this area is to prevent people from importing loads of stuff and then selling it. If it is for personal use then I'm happy to ignore it. Obviously don't take the mickey

I might declare the tent because we have no used that....but we have bee buying things new to take with us...such as kitchen wear and new bedding, so we can leave the other in the house until we go.

We have a big BBQ too and table and chair but they are 2 yrs old but new in the box ....I suppose we can just unpack and put in one of there boxes.

The new bedding take out of wrappers etc...

What about kids toys there's probably ten mew items do out think they will pull up in that?

Gained 176 visa May 2011, validated Melbourne Feb 2012....need to sell the house..:arghh:

You only have to declare $900+ of gifts on the plane when you fill out the card,

Can't see the shipping container being any different, so unless your kids toys are worth more than £600 I wouldn't worry about it, just say the new toys are Xmas presents

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

We got given loads of pressies for our sons first birthday and christmas. We just got the rellies to put name tags on them so it would be clear they were a gift and who they are from. We havent received our container yet but Im sure it will be ok.

We brought a brand new tent, never used, new microwave, tools, drawers and other stuff, just took it all out of original wrappings. And my son's birthday presents were in gift bags and clearly labelled. We received our container last month and had no problems with customs and paid no tax.

We moved over here with a 6 month old and so EVERYTHING of hers was under 12 months old! We didn't delcare any of it and didn't have any problems whatsoever. We had bought a couple of things prior to moving such a new camera and a watch, neither of which were cheap, but they came with us on the plane. Again, no problems with these. As people have said, it's to really to stop people who try to make profits by selling on things once they are here.

If you have kids, stock up on clothes for them as it can be expensive here and I really miss M&S! Take it all out of the wrappers and you'll be fine.

We shipped a few months ago, for Christmas I had been given a set of stick speakers, I had kept the original receipt, and box, popped it into the box (receipt) they got through OK, no duty, I think it is people importing for purposes of selling that they are looking out for, IMO not people like us, just shipping our personal belongings.

I checked with our shipper´s and they said just pack it, I would ask your shipping agent for ratification .... the only thing we got charged for was a rogue corn husk Christmas decoration, we paid $70 to have it destroyed. We shipped a vacuum cleaner and fridge freezer, for the vacuum cleaner we cleaned it to an mm of it´s life and the packers wrapped it in bubble wrap, and tape, it was not checked, the fridge freezer AQIS told us to put the instructions in the inside of the item, this was OK too.

Good luck, I have pasted a link below for you ....

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating

Thanks for the information, i have done the list and put about 5-6 things on it....and theres only two electrical items which there probably more interested in, a new 24inch tv bought at christmas as a present and a microwave.

Thanks

there is no way i will declare anything...no waqy the customs going to tax me on that stuff...

is the principle of the matter...

there is no way i will declare anything...no waqy the customs going to tax me on that stuff...

is the principle of the matter...

Really.....arghhhhh.....i thought i better put something down...what do people think i need an answer sending the info off tomorrow

Now if you had 3 tv of the same that was new, then they would wonder why! We have bought things 2 yrs ago and kept boxes in loft so how would they know what's what!

Really.....arghhhhh.....i thought i better put something down...what do people think i need an answer sending the info off tomorrow

Don't declare any of it then. Chances of being "caught" are negligible anyway, and you really aren't doing anything wrong so long as your intent is not to import in order to sell

I wouldn't put anything on the list, we will be putting in our container new:

3 single beds with trundle beds - flat packed but taken out of the boxes, fixings put in a freezer bag and labelled as "bed fixings" then put back in the boxes to make it look like we built then dismantled them.

2 new bikes - we will ride round the block a few times to put some wear on the tyres then clean and repack.

Pans, Cutlery sets, towels, bedding - - original packaging chucked and then repacked by the shippers.

Oh and maybe a brand new dining table and 10 chairs !!

No way I want to pay tax on stuff for personal use ! :wink:

Just pack (or get packed) your things in the non original packaging and no one will be any the wiser !

Edited by Chardy

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

I have already wrote it all on the list.....knowing my luck i will get caught out....lol

If i have put it on the list with they def charge me tax or will they let it go thru because theres only bits of items.

I have loads of new things...beds etc but only put five things on the list..lol

OK stupid question......................but can you not do a new list ?

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

Ask your removals company for another list, I had more than one, because I fluffed one up ...... I am sure they will understand ...

right you have twised my arm....i can print off a new list and complete it at work before sending today.....

should i not put anything on it?.....

think i might just leave it, its only the value of £250.00 what i have put on ....not to mention probably the other £2000K lol

What did you end up putting down?