register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Helaine

Cost of living, quality of Life

Guest Helaine

can anyone help and advise me please, we are due to come over to Brisbane in May and were going to the sunshine coast which is her my brother lives, but hubbies job is south brissie so we are now looking at the Gold Coast as an option BUT what i need to know is if he were on the min wage $42000 would we be able to afford to have a decent life we have 2 children and i will be getting part time work of some kind.

Its just i am getting so many different storys i just ned to know what to expect before we sell lock stock and barrell move the family to the other side of the world we dont want to not be able to afford to have a good quality of life, in other words if e are going to struggle we may as well stay here and do it.pleas will someon give me some straight and honest answers.........

can anyone help and advise me please, we are due to come over to Brisbane in May and were going to the sunshine coast which is her my brother lives, but hubbies job is south brissie so we are now looking at the Gold Coast as an option BUT what i need to know is if he were on the min wage $42000 would we be able to afford to have a decent life we have 2 children and i will be getting part time work of some kind.

Its just i am getting so many different storys i just ned to know what to expect before we sell lock stock and barrell move the family to the other side of the world we dont want to not be able to afford to have a good quality of life, in other words if e are going to struggle we may as well stay here and do it.pleas will someon give me some straight and honest answers.........

hi helaine

would be interested to know what responses you get to this - we are hoping to be looking at wage of $60k, but i know the minimum wage is $42k; to be honest i would be insulted if OH was offered that!! its only £19k and then with tax off, we'd be on poverty line!! we have 3 kids, a pretty good wage here, so we have to be sure of a decent standard of living over there before we commit. we are looking at perth on a sponsered visa, so just waiting to hear from employer re wage - hope im not going to be disappointed!!

let me know how you get on

jill

TRA /02/2008 TRA passed 14/03/2008

Visa 18/03/2008 PCC 24/04/08 Meds 7/7/08 Meds finalised 30/7/08. VISAS 25 AUGUST 2008 FLY OUT 10/11/08!!!!!

Guest TeamTalbot

Hi. how do you know that the minimum wage is 42K? I have been looking at jobs on seek.com.au and lots of jobs are advertising lower wages than that. Is it you OH's specific kind of job that has a minimum wage of 42K?

I hope more people respond to this thread because I think we are all asking the same question!!!!

Perhaps the $42k referred to is an average wage? I know that you can look at various council stats and find the average wage for the area. Or you could anyway.

I don't think there is any point converting an Aussie salary into pounds as it really has no relevance. IMHO.

I know a few people who have been very disappointed at the wages here - some to the point that their lifestyle has been affected and are considering returning to the UK. I certainly need to work, although my OH's wage is above average ( not heaps above!), but then I did in the UK where his salary would have been considered good. I play around with the money and although I think from fortnight to fortnight (pay dates) we just about manage (touch wood!) and greatly enjoy our life here.

I think your concerns are very valid. I don't think (unless you have a lot of money to bring over) the days of being penny-poor but dollar-rich are here anymore, but I think the lifestyle is still all you'd imagine. With a dollop of real life factored in of course!

:cool:LC

It really depends on whether you will have to pay mortgage/rent out of that. If you have a mortgage then I would say it will be near impossible to live on $42K with any degree of security or comfort. You could do it of course but there wouldnt be much left over for the fun things of life. If you were mortgage free then you would have a bit more wiggle room but it wont be easy with children in the family. You would get some centrelink benefits being on that low an income which would help a bit but not a lot. Once you start to need a car to get around, incidentals for the kids, power and council type taxes, medical expenses etc in addition to the food, clothes etc you will be struggling IMHO.

I know we are very fortunate to be retired with no mortgage and a combined income over $10k more than you mentioned but we dont have that much to splash around and there are only two of us now!

Guest sharon

Hiya,

I have been on the gold coast for 6 weeks with my husband and two kids and so far we have found the living costs to be a little less than in the UK for example you seem to get a few more teas for your shopping as in more meat and fish for less than the UK. We are renting a lovely house and its $450 dollars a week more than we we originally wanted to pay but it is only two years old so everything is brand new a lovely fitted kitchen bathrooms all high quality a communal pool which is fab because the kids have made loads of friends, but you dont have to pay council tax, no gas havent had an electric bill as yet but everyone tells me its not much, no water bill so those things make a difference. Car insurance is cheap it only cost us for a brand new car for the two of us fully comp $200per year. The biggest difference which is what we all come here for is you have got fab beaches on your doorstep brill for shopping and loads of gorgous restaurants, obviously you need money for those but it doesnt cost you anything to fill up your esky (cooler box) picnic blanket and spend the day on the beach or parks which for us when in the UK we would get to do for two weeks of the year when we went abroad.

no it isnt dead cheap here but I think its the same all over Australia the sunshine coast apparently is the same, you are not going to come and live like a millionaire, but you will still have a better quality life than in the UK I know it sounds like a bit of a cliche but it is true having the sunshine and the beaches nearby really do make you feel better. Oh and I am loving in Runaway Bay which is only 5 mins from the Broadwater and 10 mins to Main and surfers beach, so if you are prepared to move more inland away from the coast then your money will probably go further.

So far we are loving it if you are getting a similar wage as in the UK I reckon you will be OK.

Good luck

sharon

but the biggest di

Guest fatpom

$42K isn't good money but lots of people survive on less ($35K/yr). If your asking someone from 'the good suburbs' they wouldn't know how you could possibly survive on that money ($35K).

Fact is, many do. Its not easy but its quite common. View it as a starting point.

Guest pottsy

Hi

That is a real worry and one we are facing too as it is so difficult to know what it will be like until you go.Also asking random people can make it more confusing as everyones lifestyle is differrent and everyones expectations on a 'good'salary are different.

we looked at a 'cost of living'website where you put in your english salary and the city you want to live in.It compares 200 things such as houses,cars,food shop etc and tells you what the equivalent earning should be,for example we looked at Perth which is the 93rd cheapest city to live and dollars are equal to pounds eg salary of 40k is $40,000 inPerth.

Have a look it may help??

Our consideration also is that we are hopefully going on a 457 visa and what an opportunity to live in a wonderfully different place for 4 years,I would actually follow my husband anywhere,but this is a dream come true.If we have to return,we are nearly 40 now but with plenty of working years,depressing I know,to catch up if we have to start again!

Good luck!!!Hope you get there.

Regards pottsy

Hi

That is a real worry and one we are facing too as it is so difficult to know what it will be like until you go.Also asking random people can make it more confusing as everyones lifestyle is differrent and everyones expectations on a 'good'salary are different.

we looked at a 'cost of living'website where you put in your english salary and the city you want to live in.It compares 200 things such as houses,cars,food shop etc and tells you what the equivalent earning should be,for example we looked at Perth which is the 93rd cheapest city to live and dollars are equal to pounds eg salary of 40k is $40,000 inPerth.

Have a look it may help??

Our consideration also is that we are hopefully going on a 457 visa and what an opportunity to live in a wonderfully different place for 4 years,I would actually follow my husband anywhere,but this is a dream come true.If we have to return,we are nearly 40 now but with plenty of working years,depressing I know,to catch up if we have to start again!

Good luck!!!Hope you get there.

Regards pottsy

Hi pottsy,

which website was it you went on, coz think that sounds a good idea. im also on the wrong side of 35 (OH is 5 yrs younger) so i kinds have a "now or never" feeling too - we gonna keep our house on in the UK so we can crawl back here with our tails between our legs if it dont work out - god, i hope that NEVER happens!

good luck to you too. where you hoping to settle?

TRA /02/2008 TRA passed 14/03/2008

Visa 18/03/2008 PCC 24/04/08 Meds 7/7/08 Meds finalised 30/7/08. VISAS 25 AUGUST 2008 FLY OUT 10/11/08!!!!!

$42K isn't good money but lots of people survive on less ($35K/yr). If your asking someone from 'the good suburbs' they wouldn't know how you could possibly survive on that money ($35K).

Fact is, many do. Its not easy but its quite common. View it as a starting point.

Couple of points there which I think are quite pertinent - surviving vs having a reasonable lifestyle. I think survival is probably more the outcome for that sort of income. A number of my friends are self funded retirees on that amount (or less) but pretty much all are mortgage free which is a huge difference but they still count their pennies.

"good suburbs" - the alternative, which may be more affordable, may not necessarily be the sort of suburb that you would want to bring your kids up in unfortunately. You would get more out of an income in a smaller town further out from the bigger places where rents are, quite frankly, extortionate however whether the employment opportunities are there is another issue.

There would be some government benefits which could assist at those levels though - not terribly much but could be helpful. Ball park would be an income of around $3000 a month on that salary (tax take out close to $8k). Take out 400pw for rent that leaves you with 1400 a month, petrol could be 200 a month, food probably 4-600 a month, power another 50, phone 50, computer access 50, insurance? health insurance? (ours is 230 pm), car insurance? kids clothes? school activities? . I dunno - it mounts up.

You may well find that the salary turns out to be higher than that though, especially if it is in a trade or other professionally qualified position.

Guest Helaine

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my strange question, the fact is we really struggling here BIG TIME as hubbie hasnt worked for 2 months o there is just no work for Painter & Decorators in the uk, when he does get a private job it just about covers our mortgage so nothing and i mean nothing is left over,my salry covers bills and food and i cant remember th lst tim we went out together for ameal or even a drink.

what i wanted to find out and did was tht i'm sure we can survive over there and like sharon said the beach and parks are free and my kids would be happy and healthier which is most important and i have made friends with some wickd people so thanks guys.

Guest afiyafifi

Hi Helaine , i have found that cost of living site , just type in cost of living in australia , its australia-migration.com , my oh wage is 25,000 a year here in the uk to have the same standard of living in oz we would need to earn 18,578 british pounds so to put that into dollars it would be about $55,000 a year hope this helps ... karen

Guest Paul W

Wages are pi$$ poor in this country compared to the UK IMHO.

Guest wardy
Wages are pi$$ poor in this country compared to the UK IMHO.

I think it totally depends on what you do hubbies wage particularly in Perth is more than he earns here and we are doing ok.

Guest Helaine

just had an email from our agent in oz and she said that his contract does state that he will be on min wage which is $41850 plus 9% paid into his pension to start with then he gets a review 3 months after he starts, apparently its $6500 above the avarage for Painters in QL she thinks that its not a very low wage....does she not know i like to shop !!! still i would rather be there and skint than here...

Hi Helaine

You will not get any lifestyle on less than $170,000, its just a fact, no one can prepare you for this its something you will find out for yourself if you do it. We moved to the gold coast when we arrived, only stayed there 6 months and that was enough. Its a sterile place and very american like, I hated it. we now live in Brisbane, so nearer to hubby work and youngest daughter in a great I.B. school doing recognised qualifications so nothing has been lost from this move as we took her away before she did GCSE's. We did not sell, and I recommend you rent your home out in the UK so you can go back should you feel you made a mistake. I don't know your circumstances on if you have savings etc but Australia is an expensive country to live in. Of course they need us here, we're British and work hard,lol, but joking aside you need money and lots of it. You may go through similar things to what we went through, Brisbane has no daylight saving so you will miss light nights, you will miss the pub, not that I am a drinker by any means but I miss it. You will miss UK humour, so you need UK tv to keep you sane. Since being here I have been to Sydney with my hubby whilst he worked there and Melbourne and Tazmania, out of these places I could if I had to live in Melbourne or Sydney, but as yet I do not feel i could live here forever, I am 46 now so making a move when you are older its hard. We are going to make the most of the time here, our daughter needs to complete school, and then we will decide what we do. You will do what you will do, but I wish you all the best, Gold Coast public transport is pretty rubbish really, we don't go to the Gold Coast much anymore we go to the sunshine coast, I still think England is beautiful, I have not gone WOW here like I would if I were on holiday in the UK in Scotland or Wales, Ok yes the climate is here, but hey, I don't think that's enough.

Wishing you well whatever you decide.

Take care

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Michelle you have answered a 4 year old thread, the OP has probably migrated, found they didn't like it, returned back home and realised it was a mistake to do so and then ...... Returned back to Australia. Lol

Guest Guest31881

I have closed this thread as there seems little point in answering a 4 year old post. If anyone want up to date information please feel free to start a new thread,