State sponsored 489 visa timeline

dibongo

congrats mate. I am also applying for 489 visa to SA. Can u please tell me about this visa type.

1) Is it valid for 4 years? Do u need to stay 2 years in those 4 years to get the PR?

2) Is it true that person with this visa can not get any govt health insurance or child benefit (even education) and some employers are not often interested to provide job for this visa holders due to the visa type?

If you have total guideline for this visa type , please share.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-489/ or google DIAC 489 state sponsored visa

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 jan 2013 meds finalised- oh and:biggrin:Visa Granted!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Congratulation dibongo on your visa. If you could help me out here on how long does it take to get the visa once the PCC & Medicals are submitted to the case officer ?

We got our CO assigned on 11th Sep 2012 almost 5 yrs. Submitted our Medicals on 09/22/2012 & PCC on 12/13/2012. Waiting for our visa desperately now ? Does any one have approximate idea on how long will it take to receive the visa.

We are desperately waiting for the good news to come in.

Thanks!

We were waiting for four months for our meds , four and a half months in total from starting the visa.

I think the backlog at the MOC is slowly clearing so hopefully you may hear something in a week or two.

I know the waiting Is horrid but you have to think about the prize at the end.

You could ask your agent to ring the DIAC to chase your meds up or if you are DIY call them yourself on the number on the bottom of

the emails from your CO. I rang at 22.30 UK time and got straight through, best of luck....

11 jan 2013 meds finalised- oh and:biggrin:Visa Granted!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Wow!! Congratulations dibongo on getting your visa granted. Your wait is finally over. Looking at your timeline seems like you had quite a wait from doing your medicals till getting your visa. Ours were done on the 14 Dec '12 so I guess we have quite a long wait ahead of us still. Did you have any contact with your case officer between doing the meds and now? Our online status still says 'in progress' but not had any emails stating that they have received the medicals from the panel doctor (ours was done via ehealth) So still don't know if they were all ok or not.

This wait is awful...

Hi,

I am new to this forum and also in the process of applying for the 489 visa. Can anybody answer earlier thread's question please.

" Is it true that person with this visa(489) can not get any govt health insurance or child benefit (even education) and some employers are not often interested to provide job for this visa holders due to the visa type"

I don't know the answer to the question about employers not liking people on the 489 visa. I have never heard or read anything about this. I quite often see agencies advertising for staff saying "Are you on a 457 or 417 visa, want to work" etc, so I cannot imagine that they would refuse someone on a 489. It is visa that allows you to live and work in Australia and not be sponsored by an employer.

As for the health cover. If you are currently a UK resident, then you will be entitled to medicare cover. You will not be entitled to any Centrelink or education benefits as it is still a provisional visa until you meet the PR conditions.

The 489 visa is a brand new visa , so how Anybody can say employers wont give people jobs on this visa is beyond me- scaremongering is probably the best description.

Also it is that new that very few have been granted compared to other options so there would be no way to know if this was true, and a lot of people who have had there grants will not have made the move yet, some will , but not all.

Also the 489 state sponsored visa is for work in a REGIONAL area so if employers didn't give people jobs because of this visa then the skills shortage in regional areas would soon be a lot worse.

And as candygirl said if your home country has a reciprocal agreement you get pretty much the same as you would at home if combined with health insurance.

So please people don't listen to scaremongers and keep chasing your dreams ,

It will be worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow!! Congratulations dibongo on getting your visa granted. Your wait is finally over. Looking at your timeline seems like you had quite a wait from doing your medicals till getting your visa. Ours were done on the 14 Dec '12 so I guess we have quite a long wait ahead of us still. Did you have any contact with your case officer between doing the meds and now? Our online status still says 'in progress' but not had any emails stating that they have received the medicals from the panel doctor (ours was done via ehealth) So still don't know if they were all ok or not.

This wait is awful...

Hi Diandalex,

We had to email our CO to find out if our meds had been referred or not.

We got an email telling us the had been referred and over the next four months

Emailed MOC three times and the CO twice more to chase them up to no avail.

We finally lost patience on Thursday night and rang the DIAC direct and spoke to a very nice lady who told us our meds were back.

She then told our CO and let us know that he was going to email us within 30 minutes.

Which he did with the grant notification!

Up until that time our status stayed on 'in progress'

It may be worth your while dropping an email to your CO just to confirm they have got them ok, and if they are reffered you know you may be in for a bit of a wait.

Best of luck, where are you heading for?

Hi Dibongo

Thanks for that, I have taken your advice and emailed the case officer, so fingers crossed we get to hear something soon.

Just feels like its a never ending wait!

We are hoping to go out in May to activate the visas and have a little fact finding holiday at the same time. Not quite sure we we will settle but planning on visiting Bunbury, Busselton and Margaret River, although not sure about work in MR - OH is a plumber and we have 2 small Children. Not planning on actually leaving the UK till 2014 though. Loads to get sorted before then.

How about you? Where are you heading out too? Leaving anytime soon now that you have your visa?

Do you still have to send your passport off to get your visa put into it - how does it work?

So envious!!

Nice one Dibongo, I was wondering what was going on there. We,re flying out on 1st march so may see you about in Butler. I think we,ll be in Quinns Rocks so not too far. Keep in touch to meet up for a drink. :biggrin:

Sounds like a plan!

Hi Dibongo

Thanks for that, I have taken your advice and emailed the case officer, so fingers crossed we get to hear something soon.

Just feels like its a never ending wait!

We are hoping to go out in May to activate the visas and have a little fact finding holiday at the same time. Not quite sure we we will settle but planning on visiting Bunbury, Busselton and Margaret River, although not sure about work in MR - OH is a plumber and we have 2 small Children. Not planning on actually leaving the UK till 2014 though. Loads to get sorted before then.

How about you? Where are you heading out too? Leaving anytime soon now that you have your visa?

Do you still have to send your passport off to get your visa put into it - how does it work?

So envious!!

Planning on mandurah or maybe byford depending on work TBH .

Shippers coming on the 5 feb , hoping to fly 7th Feb , 3 days in Singapore then into perth on the Monday afternoon ..............if all goes to plan!

Got a good friend in Bunbury with a family and he loves it.

You don't have to get a label in your passport it's all done electronically for a 489, as soon as you arrive and go through passport control its done.

The only other thing you have to do is activate the two year commitment to WA by going into their offices( I think! ) when you have a WA address(?)

I'm an ex-plumber myself and have been thinking about getting back into the game over there, but I would have to start at the bottom again a a tradies assistant and resit everything again as I've been out of it to long!

Best of luck for the rest of your adventure!!!!

The only other thing you have to do is activate the two year commitment to WA by going into their offices( I think! ) when you have a WA address(?)

Hi Dibongo, I saw this on another thread the other day, you do have to register yourself at the Perth office, if you look on the WA state sponsorship page it tells you the address and opening times, you have to take in proof of where you are living - but it tells you what you need on the website, that then sets to clock ticking for your 2 year regional.

So excited for you, hopefully it will be us saying this in a few weeks (months), just waiting for new passport to arrive before we apply, but got all the papers together.

Keep us updated! Which shippers are you using and let us know how you get on!

Thanks for that taylors4 , hopefully you won't have to long to wait.

I'm using a local company from Lincoln called Barnes, they moved my wife's parents to Perth a few years ago and her sister and her family to Melbourne 8 years ago both with no problems.

Hi Dibongo, I saw this on another thread the other day, you do have to register yourself at the Perth office, if you look on the WA state sponsorship page it tells you the address and opening times, you have to take in proof of where you are living - but it tells you what you need on the website, that then sets to clock ticking for your 2 year regional.

So excited for you, hopefully it will be us saying this in a few weeks (months), just waiting for new passport to arrive before we apply, but got all the papers together.

Keep us updated! Which shippers are you using and let us know how you get on!

Hi to you both, Sorry to hijack your thread slightly, but do you know if Family Sponsored 489'ers have to register at this office. We are 489 FSponsored, we are not restricted to regional areas as Perth is classed as regional for FS 489, but obviously we still need to meet the 2 year rule to get the 887 so was wondering if we would need to register at this office also. Would be grateful if you could please let me know where you found out this info, so I could check with them etc. Many thanks.

Hi to you both, Sorry to hijack your thread slightly, but do you know if Family Sponsored 489'ers have to register at this office. We are 489 FSponsored, we are not restricted to regional areas as Perth is classed as regional for FS 489, but obviously we still need to meet the 2 year rule to get the 887 so was wondering if we would need to register at this office also. Would be grateful if you could please let me know where you found out this info, so I could check with them etc. Many thanks.

Hi Candygirl, yep I don't know how to paste the actual link, but when you go onto the WA migration website, on the state sponsorship page to the right there is a link which says "Registration for recently arrived skilled migrants", when you click on this, the info below comes up. I'm assuming everyone who is state sponsored would have to do it.

After obtaining your State sponsored skilled visa you are required to register your arrival into Western Australia by visiting the Skilled Migration WA office at:

Level 2, 166 Murray Street

Perth, Western Australia 6000

This registration of arrival will activate your two year commitment to Western Australia that all State sponsored skilled migrants agree to in accepting the Government of Western Australia’s offer of sponsorship.

To successfully register you will need to the following documents:

• a copy of your signed State sponsorship agreement;

• passport; and

• proof of your permanent Western Australian address*.

*Acceptable documents include:

• lease agreement;

• utilities bill (phone, water, electricity etc.); or

• Western Australian driver’s licence.

For further information regarding this process or to book an appointment to register your arrival, please contact Skilled Migration WA by email atmigration@dtwd.wa.gov.au or by telephone on +61 8 9224 6593 or 13 23 98 from within Australia.

Thanks very much:notworthy:

If we get the "golden ticket", I will check with them if we need to register as well. I am sure we would need to register somewhere to confirm that we have arrived in WA even though technically they have not sponsored us.

Yes, if you are family sponsored, it may not apply, you may just need to gather your evidence for the 2 year period. May be worth the call though to double check.

Good luck and hope you hear soon!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I would like to ask, can a new PR holder go to Melbourne or Perth and sponsor his/her relative right away? Are there any restrictions before sponsoring relative on 489 living in any designated area?

Regards,

Mohsin Jawed

I think there is a two year waiting period, you may want to start a new thread to get a full answer as I'm not 100% sure.

No you wouldnt need to register as you are not sponsored by the state, but you will need to follow the conditions of your visa, to be eligible for 887.