Hello All,

Disappointing to find out I am not in the catchment area for

Woodvale high school or Ocean reef high school. I have to go

to Belridge we have heard really bad things about Belridge, what

do you guys make of it? Is there any other schools near lakeside

Joondalup?

Thanks

Ellie

It depends what sort of kid you are. I am in catchment for Belridge. My eldest daughter is a follower and if anyone is going to get in with the wrong crowd she will. There are lots of nice children at Belridge but equally it has a high proportion of very dodgy kids (my opinion only of course). If you are the sort of child that can avoid children then I don't think the quality of teaching is any different to other high schools, just you may be in a class with kids who don't want to be there are are disruptive. My daughter would have failed miserably there but I know a lot of kids who attend that do exceptionally well. Go and have a look around, see what you think. Schools are being very strict on catchment areas at the moment so unless you can afford private then Belridge will probably be your only option.

Guest EllieHill
It depends what sort of kid you are. I am in catchment for Belridge. My eldest daughter is a follower and if anyone is going to get in with the wrong crowd she will. There are lots of nice children at Belridge but equally it has a high proportion of very dodgy kids (my opinion only of course). If you are the sort of child that can avoid children then I don't think the quality of teaching is any different to other high schools, just you may be in a class with kids who don't want to be there are are disruptive. My daughter would have failed miserably there but I know a lot of kids who attend that do exceptionally well. Go and have a look around, see what you think. Schools are being very strict on catchment areas at the moment so unless you can afford private then Belridge will probably be your only option.

Thank you :/

OK, the statistics aren't very good. Only 15% go on to Uni and that's because very few do stage 3 courses -so it's not very academic and the majority of Year 11 and 12s are only doing stage 1 that don't get you into Uni. You'll just have to make sure you are one of the ones who do! There's an 88% attendance rate so lets hope the naughty kids are the 12% not bothering to turn up for school. As Northern bird said, it's up to you to do well. Lake Joondalup Baptist College is near by and is a great school if your parents want to consider private.

My sister ended up going to Berridge because like you, she couldn't get in anywhere else. It's a terrible school! I have met many x students who have told me how if your la king behind in year 12 the school will kick you out so they will get higher results without people being there failing. Another x student told me how her teacher ended up going to court for bulking her in classes. Everyone you speak to if you tell them you go Belridge will sign & shake there head. I ended up turning my place down from there after hearing about the bullying there. My sister says the older years ask you for money and are just generally rude.

so if you have money and statistics they speak !!! ok why does Alot of the private schools have major drug problems ! cause they can afford it and as for statistics they are based on people going on to university ! not on trades and apprenticeships as

beldridge do have alot of bases covered for students ! INCLUDING BULLYING !!!! which is the biggest issue here ! not wot school u go

to and how much money u have or if you fit !

I will take cover ! on the commments !!!

so if you have money and statistics they speak !!! ok why does Alot of the private schools have major drug problems ! cause they can afford it and as for statistics they are based on people going on to university ! not on trades and apprenticeships as

beldridge do have alot of bases covered for students ! INCLUDING BULLYING !!!! which is the biggest issue here ! not wot school u go

to and how much money u have or if you fit !

I will take cover ! on the commments !!!

It very much depends on the child. All schools have problems with bullying and drugs including Belridge and all the private schools too. It goes with todays generation of kids unfortunately.

so if you have money and statistics they speak !!!

The statistics come from the Curriculum council report on the performance of every school in WA last year. There are three types of course in Year 11/12 - Level 1/2/3. Level 3 count towards Uni though at a push you could get in by doing level 2 course too. It depends on your own educational values as to whether that is important. If you have a non academic 14 year old who wants to be a hair dresser than that's fine - send them to a Govt school where 90% of the kids do level 1 courses which will get them into apprenticeships/work but no chance of Uni place. If your 14 year old has done well through school though and wants to be an engineer for example, sending them to a school where 13% of the kids don't turn up, and there is no culture of doing harder subjects, where they probably get bullied for being a swot etc wouldn't be my first choice. I'd be looking for high school with better results - it doesn't have to be private - there are lots of decent govt high schools and there are some very ordinary private schools.

ok why does Alot of the private schools have major drug problems ! cause they can afford it

Why DO a lot of private schools have major drug problems? Have you any evidence/statistics to back this up? I have worked in two of the most exclusive schools in Perth and drugs are not the biggest problem - eating disorders, self harm, depression, anxiety are. The kids that tried drugs were the ones from dysfunctional families - lots of money may be but family messed up - like many other families. I've also worked in schools in Kwinana where many of the parents had drug problems - there is more chance of children being into drugs if they are surrounded by a drug culture.

and as for statistics they are based on people going on to university ! not on trades and apprenticeships as

beldridge do have alot of bases covered for students !

as mentioned above - yes, that's true and if you want an apprenticeship then Belridge would be fine. It'd be good to have a school that kept all your options open though. Most kids there go on to Tafe - 35%.

INCLUDING BULLYING !!!! which is the biggest issue here !

Bullying occurs in every school and in many forms. What is important is how the school deals with it and what programs they have in place to support students who are bullied. It'd be a good question for parents to ask when they enroll - 'how do you deal with bullying?" and see what the school says.

Many schools think they can do a lesson on bullying once a term, or get a theatre group in to do a performance on bullying and then sit back and think we have covered bullying for this term, where as it has to be part of the school culture and mentioned in some way regularly. I've no idea how Belridge tackle bullying but with 13% of kids not attending, it doesn't make me think it is a warm fuzzy, safe school where the kids love going. Look at some of the better Govt high schools and their attendance rates are 96% - the students want to be there.