What's not good about Perth

richdownunder

I love how people make judgements of Suburbs that they don't live in or think they know everything about them!!! there are Bogans all over Perth. There are alot of people from the UK all over Perth. As for schools I don't use the My Schools website to check because it goes on your own child, you may have a school were the results are not the best but that does'nt mean all the kids are below average. I will admit I am concerned about High School for my daughter, our local High School is Kelmscott and have heard good things and bad things. I did move to change schools for my children and I love the area we are in, I am lucky that my kids school has a good reputation there other school did'nt, but to be honest I think the other school would have prepared them for some more realities, were I feel some are wrapped up in cotton wool.

Laney

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ali,we liked Joondaloop, but we have soft spot for brisbane

I've only been to Joondalup once ... Liked Brissy (my brother lives there )and have visited surfers for a holiday .. hubby said it reminded him of Magaluf when he was younger lol

Same here Stacey, we're from a small Devon town and don't want a busy city life, exeter is too busy for us .

everyone Is different, if you came from one of the uk's big city a suppose it woud be too quiet but hopefully just right for us country bumpkins

us country bumpkins should stick together in the big perth city life lol :laugh: think it sounds just the right size of city for me

Personally I find Perth very bland in general. There a few spots that have a bit more to them like Fremantle, where you can get a sense of heritage. However most of the suburbs are my idea of hell! We drove through quite a few recently and they seem to be either full of crappy 70's and 80's houses with feature walls and columns, or cookie-cutter legoland houses with no gardens. It does feel backwards compared to the rest of the first world, in terms of opening hours.

My boyfriend likens it to larger more sprawling version of Plymouth! And we could similarly only occupy ourselves for a day in Plymouth too, before heading back into the countryside.

Personally I find Perth very bland in general. There a few spots that have a bit more to them like Fremantle, where you can get a sense of heritage. However most of the suburbs are my idea of hell! We drove through quite a few recently and they seem to be either full of crappy 70's and 80's houses with feature walls and columns, or cookie-cutter legoland houses with no gardens. It does feel backwards compared to the rest of the first world, in terms of opening hours.

My boyfriend likens it to larger more sprawling version of Plymouth! And we could similarly only occupy ourselves for a day in Plymouth too, before heading back into the countryside.

I wouldn't take this a gospel considering that Plymouth is a ****hole .

you can't compare living in a city to countryside life, completely different style of living ( I've lived in countryside for 40 years )

I can think of of some ****holes in the Uk and Plymouth certainly isn't one of them. Having been born in the NW, lived in London and Devon and now the south coast, Plymouth fairs well in my mind. It was the safest city in the Uk (not sure where is stands today) is easy to get around, and on the whole the people are friendly. The fact that it was bombed in the war probably explains some of its architecture. I lived 10 miles out of Plymouth for 7 years in the countryside, just because we wanted to take advantage of the lovely views on offer.

I haven't been to Perth, but we are moving there in December. I guess affordability is the key to where one miight settle. I have a job in Freemantle, which means NOR is not an option for us, as commuting would be a nightmare, so SOR it is. The fact that Perth is small and reported to be slow in comparrison to other Australian cities is the attraction. I couldn't contemplate living in Sydney or Melborne as i guess i'm at the time of my life where slow and quiet suit us as a family. I have seen some lovely properties on line

around Rockingham, Baldivis and Waikiki. Itis helpful to have feedback on these areas, but i appreciate constructive criticism. Sweeping statements about people with neck tatoos and football shirts are not!

Well, you have to compare them if you've to choose between the two :-)

I know that's the scary bit, hopefully we can find a quiet sort of suburb out of the city,

somewhere away from the 'city life' would be nice .

been looking at secret harbour way, and wanneroo NOR. At the moment we live about 15miles from Exeter and Taunton, if we go into Exeter shopping were in and out before 10:30 as it gets too busy and that's a small city !!!!

I can think of of some ****holes in the Uk and Plymouth certainly isn't one of them. Having been born in the NW, lived in London and Devon and now the south coast, Plymouth fairs well in my mind. It was the safest city in the Uk (not sure where is stands today) is easy to get around, and on the whole the people are friendly. The fact that it was bombed in the war probably explains some of its architecture. I lived 10 miles out of Plymouth for 7 years in the countryside, just because we wanted to take advantage of the lovely views on offer.

I haven't been to Perth, but we are moving there in December. I guess affordability is the key to where one miight settle. I have a job in Freemantle, which means NOR is not an option for us, as commuting would be a nightmare, so SOR it is. The fact that Perth is small and reported to be slow in comparrison to other Australian cities is the attraction. I couldn't contemplate living in Sydney or Melborne as i guess i'm at the time of my life where slow and quiet suit us as a family. I have seen some lovely properties on line

around Rockingham, Baldivis and Waikiki. Itis helpful to have feedback on these areas, but i appreciate constructive criticism. Sweeping statements about people with neck tatoos and football shirts are not!

I don't live there but I don't think it's brilliant now ( don't take this quote as true) , I think every city has it problems . Even the small town we live in has been invaded by eastern europeans who are always scrapping and our population is only about 7000. So you get problems and idiots wherever you go

I think take the comments about Perth being like some chavvy council estate full of poms..ok my interpretation...with a huge pinch of salt. If you don't want to live in a pommy wonderland, let's face it some do...no problem..then stay away from very very new residential areas where the cheapest home and land packages are advertised, obviously those suburbs are going to have a younger population. Best bet buy in a middle of the road established burb where your neighbours are pensioners and enjoy the quiet life. Dont tar all of Perth with the same brush, the suburbs really are very very diverse. Something for everyone.

I think it is a great advantage living with plenty of poms and cannot understand people who avoid other pom areas as they are always more lively and poms will have more in common with other poms than australians, if I go back I would rather live in an area full of poms.

I think it is a great advantage living with plenty of poms and cannot understand people who avoid other pom areas as they are always more lively and poms will have more in common with other poms than australians, if I go back I would rather live in an area full of poms.

We avoided it PB although we have friends who are Brits, but we'd lived in England for 40 years and wanted to experience the diversity. I don't think there's anything wrong with migrants wanting to be together, it's happened in the UK for many years and I appreciate that it can make people feel more at home and settled. For us, our suburb has been great, not only is there a cultural mix but also a mix of ages, we have people like ourselves with teenage children, people with toddlers and babies, our next door neighbours children are grown and visit, whilst across the road is an older lady who recently lost her hubby. We have a great Street Party at Christmas young and old alike and it has a wonderful community feel ... I have to say that as an adult we didn't experience that in the UK we hardly saw our neighbours.

Having read all the above posts, I agree with some bits but not others. We moved to Perth from a town in the south west of the uk. As others have said, I think where you have come from affects what you think about Perth. I was born in Cardiff and have lived in Bristol, but had settled in a small town.

I still like the feel of a city and when I was in the Uk used to love a day out in Exeter. I agree that Perth is expensive, but also like that it is compact and is only a short walk from the centre to say walking along the Swan river. Commuting into the centre is easy from Northern Suburbs using the train.

We did hope to integrate with the aussies but find ourselves surrounded by poms, not specifically our choice but not a problem either. A friend of mine lives in an older suburb and does have a wider range of aussie neighbours than we do i.e. younger, older, families etc. We haven't made it over to the east coast yet (we're here on a two year secondment, and we are one year in) so can't compare Perth to Sydney or Melbourne, but for us Perth is enough.

Have briefly been to Rockingham twice, on both occasions it was late in the day, but I have to say it wouldn't be for us.

Sure its fine anywhere you are. Perth isnt really a city, its only as big as a large town really and its very quiet there wherever your living. Personally I dont like Joondalup and surrounding areas but its cheap so housing is better than inner city and I would look at it if I had a large family. Myself I'm fine with a small place with a courtyard that i can just lock up and go.

Sure its fine anywhere you are. Perth isnt really a city, its only as big as a large town really and its very quiet there wherever your living. Personally I dont like Joondalup and surrounding areas but its cheap so housing is better than inner city and I would look at it if I had a large family. Myself I'm fine with a small place with a courtyard that i can just lock up and go.

Perth cbd is the size of Preston